No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the time heals all wounds thing applies here. When Calvin retired, my distinct impression was that he would've played elsewhere. The Lions' stupidity was (if this is true) in letting him retire rather than working with him on a trade. If they traded him, they get assets. If he says he doesn't want to play for anybody ... no way no how do you ask him to repay bonus money.

so yeah they screwed up either way
    WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post

Missed Riley Reiff quitting the NFL because he didn't want to play for the Vikes ... you left that part out. I am also glad that Sheila is working it out with Calvin, but you are comparing apples to oranges here
      Sure, I can agree that the circumstances are different. But I can tell you that there is a very good chance that Reiff won’t be playing for the Vikings next season, as his contract is backloaded, so they’ll likely need to move on from him. They absolutely didn’t need to pay a player who won’t be on their roster $1mm, yet they chose to take care of him. Meanwhile, the Lions chose to make the two greatest players in franchise history repay bonus money upon their retirements (which in Calvin’s case was a pretty insignificant amount by NFL money standards). That only added to the poor reputation of this team around the league. But I’ve got some cautious optimism that things have changed for the better under Sheila, Spielman, Holmes, and Campbell.
      Last edited by BJK; February 11, 2021, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BJK View Post

Sure, I can agree that the circumstances are different. But I can tell you that there is a very good chance that Reiff won’t be playing for the Vikings next season, as his contract is backloaded, so they’ll likely need to move on from him. They absolutely didn’t need to pay a player who won’t be on their roster $1mm, yet they chose to take care of him. Meanwhile, the Lions chose to make the two greatest players in franchise history repay bonus money upon their retirements (which in Calvin’s case was a pretty insignificant amount by NFL money standards). That only added to the poor reputation of this team around the league. But I’ve got some cautious optimism that things have changed for the better under Sheila, Spielman, Holmes, and Campbell.
        Fair enough

Comment

• Oh get fucked NFL.

I wanted to hear this https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...yrann-mathieu/

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post
            I think the time heals all wounds thing applies here. When Calvin retired, my distinct impression was that he would've played elsewhere. The Lions' stupidity was (if this is true) in letting him retire rather than working with him on a trade. If they traded him, they get assets. If he says he doesn't want to play for anybody ... no way no how do you ask him to repay bonus money.

so yeah they screwed up either way
            That's growth. I'm proud of ya

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
              Oh get fucked NFL.

I wanted to hear this https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...yrann-mathieu/
              Me too. Must be some real wrong being stated by these 2 gentlemen.
              Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• “I’m going at you! I’m going at you! All day!”

I liked the intensity Brady showed. He was PUMPED.

Comment

• J.J. Watt: Texans and I have mutually agreed to part ways

Posted by Myles Simmons on February 12, 2021, 10:05 AM EST

Getty Images

J.J. Watt has been one of the faces of the Texans since he was drafted in 2011.

He’ll be playing for a different team in 2021.

Watt asked for and was granted his release from the franchise, the three-time defensive player of the year said in a video posted to social media on Friday morning.

“I have sat down with the McNair family and I have asked for my release, and we have mutually agreed to part ways at this time,” Watt said in the video. “I came here 10 years ago as a kid from Wisconsin who had never really been to Texas before. And now I can’t imagine my life without Texas in it. The way that you guys have treated me — besides draft night, I mean, you guys booed me on draft night — but every day after that, you treated me like family. And I truly feel like you’re my family. Since that day, I have tried to do everything in my power to work and earn your respect, and try and make you proud on and off the field. You guys have given me everything and more, and I can only hope that you feel like I’ve given you everything I have.”

Watt noted he met his wife in Houston and made lifelong friends with teammates. He also credited those behind the scenes in the organization and the fans in public for their support.

“The connection is special,” Watt said. “And I will never, ever take that for granted because I know how rare that is.”

Watt got through the full 2020 season healthy, recording 5.0 sacks, 14 tackles for loss, 17 quarterback hits, seven passes defensed, two forced fumbles, and an interception. Watt hasn’t reached double-digit sacks since 2018, when he recorded 16.0. But he can still be effective and should have a solid market for his services in 2021. He’ll turn 32 on March 22.

“I’m excited and looking forward to a new opportunity. And I’ve been working extremely hard,” Watt said. “But at the same time, it is always tough to move on.”

Watt leaves the Texans after 128 starts, 101.0 sacks, 172 tackles for loss, 282 quarterback hits, 25 forced fumbles, 16 fumble recoveries and a pair of pick sixes.

Comment

• Comment

• Watt is one of those rare players you really don't want to see grow old and fade away.
                      The Lawrence Taylors, the Darrell Greens, one of the really special players on defense in their generation.
                      You want to remember them in their prime years - just doing things that defy logic.

Cue the image of Darrell Green doing the unthinkable - chasing down Dorsett and Dickerson in their primes.

Comment

• “All things fluid” with Russell Wilson situation

Posted by Mike Florio on February 12, 2021, 6:08 AM EST

USA TODAY Sports

The sudden twists and turns in the relationship between the Seahawks and quarterback Russell Wilson prompted the posing of a simple question on Thursday, inspired by the fact that the far-less public discourse between the Texans and quarterback Deshaun Watson has sparked a big request from the player.

Has Russell Wilson asked the Seahawks to trade him?

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, that hasn’t happened yet. The source added this three-word characterization of the broader relationship: “All things fluid.”

Wilson’s contract carries a very affordable $19 million salary for 2021. But a trade before June 1 would result in the Seahawks carrying a $39 million cap charge in 2021. After June 1, a trade would trigger $13 million in 2021 and $26 million in 2022.

Wilson could wait to see whether and to what extent the team involves him in personnel matters during free agency and the draft before asking to be traded in May, with the goal of the transaction happening on or after June 2. By then, most if not all teams will have settled quarterback situations. Few quarterbacks like Wilson ever become available, however. If Wilson can be acquired on June 2, plenty of teams would gladly unbake their 2021 offseason cake.

Or Wilson, and the team, eventually could decide that the situation has become untenable, and that it makes sense for everyone to arrange a trade sooner than later, with the only question becoming whether the two teams will agree to delay making it official until after June 1.

Comment

• Raheem Morris: Rams are a fundamentally developed team

Posted by Myles Simmons on February 11, 2021, 5:22 PM EST

Getty Images

Raheem Morris has the benefit of taking over one of the league’s best defenses from 2020, as the Rams finished leading the league in both points allowed and yards allowed.

In his introductory press conference on Thursday, Morris said he’s planning on blending a mixture of former coordinators Wade Phillips and Brandon Staley into his scheme for 2021. But he also feels like Los Angeles has set itself up well just from the basics, with a unit led by now three-time defensive player of the year Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey.

“This is a fundamentally developed team, and they did a great job of developing this team fundamentally,” Morris said. “Some they went out and bought, like a Jalen Ramsey. And he’s a fundamentally sound, absolute just dog, competitor. He’s an absolute dog, a guy that you want to go out there with toughness and to be able to play. And then you’ve got guys like Aaron Donald that they’ve been able to draft, and acquired throughout the draft and have done some things that way and just developed into these great players. And after you get a few great players, you get people around them that you found are just better than what they thought, and they become better versions of themselves — and so do the coaches.

“It’s no secret that the Rams coaching staff has just been rated the way it has been because of the things they’ve been able to do here, and it starts with our leader, Sean McVay.”

Based on the way things have gone in the last few coaching cycles, if Morris keeps up Los Angeles’ defensive performances, he may have a shot at a full-time head coaching job in 2022.

Comment

• DESHAUN WATSONQB, HOUSTON TEXANS

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Deshaun Watson is "intrigued" by a potential trade to the Broncos or 49ers.

On Watson being traded to the Jets, Fowler said, "Eh, probably not," cooling the hopes of Jets fans who believed new head coach Robert Saleh could lure Watson to New York. 9News' Mike Klis, a longtime Broncos beat reporter, confirmed that league insiders have said Watson is interested in Denver as a landing spot. It would be hard to imagine the Niners not making a concerted effort to acquire Watson, who would lead an offense stacked with explosive upside. The Broncos are definitely near the top of Watson's trade wish list though.

RELATED:
                            SOURCE: Get Up ESPN on Twitter
                            Feb 12, 2021, 10:42 AM

Comment

• This Date In Transactions History: Browns Sign Kareem Hunt

February 11th, 2021 at 9:33pm CST by Ben Levine

Two years ago today, the Browns made a controversial move that has (so far) paid off for the organization. On February 11, 2019, Cleveland announced that the signing of running back Kareem Hunt.

From an on-the-field perspective, the move made plenty of sense. Hunt ran for 1,327 yards as a rookie in 2017, and he followed that up with a 14-touchdown season in 2018 despite playing in only 11 games. The talent was (and still is) undeniable. Hunt also had a relationship with former Browns GM John Dorsey that dated back to their stints in Kansas City.

From an off-the-field perspective, the move was divisive. At the time of the signing, Hunt was under investigation for three separate 2018 events — most notably an incident captured on video that showed him shoving and kicking a woman at a Cleveland complex. Hunt was released by the Chiefs following the release of the video. That transaction took place before the NFL could react, and following his signing with Cleveland, Hunt was promptly placed on the Commissioner’s Exempt list.

The literal signing also proved to be a topic of contention. Hunt inked a one-year deal that could be worth up to $1MM. This was an increase from the $678K he was set to make with Kansas City in 2019. While a subsequent suspension would reduce any salary, Hunt still took home more money than if he had been retained by his former team.

Hunt was ultimately banned for the first eight games of the 2019 season, and he was reinstated by the league in early November. He naturally slid in as a backup behind Nick Chubb, who would soon complete a Pro Bowl season that saw him rush for 1,494 yards and eight touchdowns. Hunt ultimately appeared in eight games (three starts) for the Browns in 2019, collecting 464 yards from scrimmage and three touchdowns.

The running back was slapped with a second-round tender after the season, and he ended up getting a two-year, $13.25MM extension from the organization this past September. Hunt saw a much larger role during his second season in Cleveland, compiling 1,145 yards from scrimmage and 11 scores. Hunt also saw time in two playoff games, collecting three total touchdowns. The running back remains under contract through the 2022 season, which is especially relevant considering Chubb’s impending free agency after next season. While the two-headed monster should return in 2021, Cleveland’s backfield could look a whole lot different in 2022.

Hunt’s past continues to make him a controversial figure, and both the player and the Browns will have a tough time shaking this notion as long as Hunt’s in Cleveland. Still, when coupling the player’s production with the future flexibility he’ll provide, there’s no doubting that the move has worked out for Cleveland.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                                J.J. Watt: Texans and I have mutually agreed to part ways

Posted by Myles Simmons on February 12, 2021, 10:05 AM EST

Getty Images

J.J. Watt has been one of the faces of the Texans since he was drafted in 2011.

He’ll be playing for a different team in 2021.

Watt asked for and was granted his release from the franchise, the three-time defensive player of the year said in a video posted to social media on Friday morning.

“I have sat down with the McNair family and I have asked for my release, and we have mutually agreed to part ways at this time,” Watt said in the video. “I came here 10 years ago as a kid from Wisconsin who had never really been to Texas before. And now I can’t imagine my life without Texas in it. The way that you guys have treated me — besides draft night, I mean, you guys booed me on draft night — but every day after that, you treated me like family. And I truly feel like you’re my family. Since that day, I have tried to do everything in my power to work and earn your respect, and try and make you proud on and off the field. You guys have given me everything and more, and I can only hope that you feel like I’ve given you everything I have.”

Watt noted he met his wife in Houston and made lifelong friends with teammates. He also credited those behind the scenes in the organization and the fans in public for their support.

“The connection is special,” Watt said. “And I will never, ever take that for granted because I know how rare that is.”

Watt got through the full 2020 season healthy, recording 5.0 sacks, 14 tackles for loss, 17 quarterback hits, seven passes defensed, two forced fumbles, and an interception. Watt hasn’t reached double-digit sacks since 2018, when he recorded 16.0. But he can still be effective and should have a solid market for his services in 2021. He’ll turn 32 on March 22.

“I’m excited and looking forward to a new opportunity. And I’ve been working extremely hard,” Watt said. “But at the same time, it is always tough to move on.”

Watt leaves the Texans after 128 starts, 101.0 sacks, 172 tackles for loss, 282 quarterback hits, 25 forced fumbles, 16 fumble recoveries and a pair of pick sixes.
                                They just RELEASED him???

Comment

Working...
                                X