No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Burrow and Baker changed teams the Browns would be a definite SB contender. The Bengals would be tanking for Trevor.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Joe Burrow’s 37 completions were most by a rookie in NFL history

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 18, 2020, 6:30 AM EDT

Getty Images

Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow completed more passes on Thursday night than any rookie in NFL history has ever completed before.

Burrow completed 37 passes, breaking a rookie record of 36 previously set by Chris Weinke and tied by Carson Wentz.

Burrow’s overall stat line of 37-for-61, for 316 yards, with three touchdowns and no interceptions, was impressive. Burrow’s Bengals lost 35-30 to the Browns, but Burrow kept his team in the game without getting a lot of help.

That may be the case all year for the Bengals. This franchise still has plenty of work to do. But there’s every reason to believe Burrow is the right man for the most important job.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Baker Mayfield: “Hype is real” for Joe Burrow

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on September 18, 2020, 1:27 AM EDT

Getty Images

Consider Baker Mayfield among those impressed by Cincinnati Bengals rookie quarterback Joe Burrow.

While the Cleveland Browns managed to get a 35-30 victory over the Bengals on Thursday night, Burrow kept trying to rally the Bengals from two-score deficits in the second half. He helped the Bengals convert all five fourth down plays they attempted to convert on the night and Burrow kept taking hits and bouncing back as led Cincinnati to two fourth quarter touchdown drives.

“I didn’t get a chance to watch him last week (against the Los Angeles Chargers) but I heard the rave reviews and you could tell it’s true. The hype is real with Joe,” Mayfield said to reporters after the game Thursday night.

Burrow threw 61 passes on the night and tossed the first three touchdown passes of his career to C.J. Uzomah, Mike Thomas and Tyler Boyd. The 61 attempts were the second most by a rookie dating back to 1950, according to Pro-Football-Reference. Only Chris Weinke’s 63 attempts for the Carolina Panthers against the Arizona Cardinals on Dec. 30, 2001 eclipsed Burrow’s mark from Thursday night. Carson Wentz against the Bengals in Dec. 2016 is the only other rookie over that span to reach 60 attempts in a game.

Burrow finished the night with 37 completions for 316 yards with the three touchdowns and no interceptions.

“I thought he played extremely well,” Mayfield said. “Just being decisive, keeping plays extended, taking care of the ball. I thought he did a great job. It’s always good to see another young guy come in and take over and obviously that team loves him. They follow him and he leads them.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
          If Burrow and Baker changed teams the Browns would be a definite SB contender. The Bengals would be tanking for Trevor.
          Burrow looks very promising. For his sake, hopefully the Bengals improve their OLine.
          Burrow is taking too many hits... Don't want to turn Burrow into David Carr.
          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post

Burrow looks very promising. For his sake, hopefully the Bengals improve their OLine.
            Burrow is taking too many hits... Don't want to turn Burrow into David Carr.
            Carr was never as good as Burrow is right now.

Comment

• REPORT: Cleveland Browns Are Looking To Trade WR Odell Beckham Jr.

Could Odell be on the move just one week into the new season? The star WR has seemingly disappeared from anything other than headlines for all the wrong reasons since being traded to the Cleveland Browns. After a dismal start to the season via a blowout 38-6 loss to the Ravens at home, Mike Francesa […]
              "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

If Burrow and Baker changed teams the Browns would be a definite SB contender. The Bengals would be tanking for Trevor.
                Oh whatever. I do agree Burrow looks solid (EDIT 5.2 YPA notwithstanding), but Baker isn't bad. They absolutely should trade Diva Beckham for a more reliable WR
                Last edited by Forsh; September 18, 2020, 11:32 PM.
                WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

Burrow is definitely better out the gate but I do feel as though Mayfield has matured. Perhaps enough to make the browns competitive. Its not like Mayfield hasn't flashed at times.

Comment

• OBJ indeed is a prima Donna!
                    Memorial Day 2018!

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post

Oh whatever. I do agree Burrow looks solid (EDIT 5.2 YPA notwithstanding), but Baker isn't bad. They absolutely should trade Diva Beckham for a more reliable WR
                      Baker stinks.

Comment

• He has arguably the most talent at his disposal and what is his record? He stinks and will never win. Doesn't process fast enough.

Comment

• NFL begins fining coaches for disregarding mask policy

Posted by Mike Florio on September 21, 2020, 9:46 PM EDT

Getty Images

Last Monday, the NFL issued its warning. The league has taken action.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com, three coaches were fined $100,000 each for failing to properly wear masks: 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan, Broncos coach Vic Fangio, and Seahawks coach Pete Carroll. Their respective teams were fined $250,000 each.

Those were hardly the only three coaches who failed to properly wear masks on Sunday.

The league doesn’t want coaches to view the fines as the cost of doing business, with a willingness to pay the fines and move on. Six-figure fines will get their attention. For a second offense, it’s likely the price will go up.

During Monday night’s game in Las Vegas, neither Saints coach Sean Payton nor Raiders coach Jon Gruden are covering their mouths or noses. They likely will be fined, too.

Comment

• Read it again:
                            Packers become fourth team with more than 80 points, 1,000 yards in two games

Posted by Mike Florio on September 21, 2020, 8:31 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Packers, as explained by running back Aaron Jones after Sunday’s 42-21 win over the Lions, “definitely” have improved in their second year working with coach Matt LaFleur’s offense. The numbers support it.

The Packers have become, according to the NFL, only the fourth team in NFL history to score more than 80 points and generate more than 1,000 yards in the first two games of a season.

The Packers, with 85 points and 1,010 yards, join the 2019 Ravens, the 1998 49ers, and the 1991 Bills.

The nation will get a closer look at Green Bay’s offense when they visit the Saints on NBC’s Sunday Nighty Football. If the Packers can topple the Saints to move to 3-0, Green Bay needs to be taken very se

Comment

• Vikings place Anthony Barr on injured reserve

Posted by Charean Williams on September 21, 2020, 6:16 PM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer announced earlier Monday that linebacker Anthony Barr tore his right pectoral muscle.

Barr’s season is over.

The Vikings announced Monday afternoon they have placed Barr on injured reserve.

Barr, a four-time Pro Bowler, played only 16 snaps in Week Two before his injury.

Troy Dye, a fourth-round rookie, replaced Barr before injuring his ankle. The injuries to Barr and Dye allowed Ryan Connelly, whom they claimed two weeks ago, to make his defensive debut with one snap.

The injuries will test the team’s linebacker depth with Eric Wilson stepping into an every-down role opposite Eric Kendricks. Dye and Connelly are the other linebackers currently on the 53-player roster, with Hardy Nickerson Jr. available for a call-up from the practice squad.

“I thought Troy came in and did some good things,” Zimmer said, via Courtney Cronin of ESPN. “He had a couple missed tackles, but he ran pretty well. Once Barr went out, it got a little confusing because Eric [Kendricks] was trying to get the calls from the headset and then make the calls and get guys lined up. So that got a little confusing. Wilson did fine. We’ve still got a lot of things we have to work on with those guys, but we anticipate that they’ll continue to get better.”

Comment

• Jared Veldheer retires rather than sign with Cowboys

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 21, 2020, 2:52 PM EDT

Getty Images

Jared Veldheer won’t be suiting up soon, for the Cowboys or anyone else.

According to Todd Archer of ESPN.com, the veteran offensive tackle has decided to retire instead of accepting an offer from Dallas.

Veldheer came back last year to play two games for the Packers, but has a long resume of starting experience (113 games) with the Broncos, Cardinals, and Raiders.

The Cowboys were looking for some depth when they brought him in to work out, as the deal with injuries to Tyron Smith (neck), La’el Collins (hip) and Cameron Erving (knee).

They’re also working out former guard Ron Leary today as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X