NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YANNICK NGAKOUEDL, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports unsigned Jaguars franchise player could still be traded before Wednesday's extension deadline.

Rapsheet has few details on the matter, merely reporting it's "not impossible" but would be "difficult, complicated." He doesn't name any potential teams. There have been a steady stream of "Ngakoue still wants out" rumors over the past few months followed by "but no one is making a real offer." Ngakoue has not helped his cause with his social media posting.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
    Jul 14, 2020, 11:20 AM
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Is that Megatron I see looming against press coverage?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
        Is that Megatron I see looming against press coverage?
        Yes. Patrick Peterson vs Megatron
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Browns close to five-year extension with Myles Garrett

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 14, 2020, 2:56 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Browns have done a huge piece of business, signing defensive end Myles Garrett to mammoth contract extension.

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, the Browns and Garrett are closing in on a five-year extension worth $125 million.

A $25 million-a-year average would make him the highest-paid pass-rusher (and defensive player) in the league, surpassing the Khalil Mack deal.

The Browns have made it clear that keeping the former No. 1 overall pick was a priority this offseason, with General Manager Andrew Berry calling him “a long-term member and pillar in our organization.

He had 10 sacks in 10 games last year, missing the final six after he clocked Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph in the head with his helmet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

Yes. Patrick Peterson vs Megatron
            Oooh. Good pic.

Comment

• Bizarre story involving former Packer DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (KGB):

Over two decades, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila found an unlikely home in Green Bay. In the first installment of our Serial Longform series, we delve into the former Packers star’s theological evolution, his discovery of a new religious movement, and his transformation from revered to feared.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                Bell hasn't lost a single step. That Jets OL (2019) was really bad. Terrible. Gase's play calling exasperated the situation even more.

Let this sink in for perspective, Cooter is the RB coach there.
                I don’t get how he’s their RB coach. That might be the dumbest hire for a positional coach that I’ve ever seen.
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

I don’t get how he’s their RB coach. That might be the dumbest hire for a positional coach that I’ve ever seen.
                  Lol, I googled him to see what became of the good ol’ boy (once touted for head coaching gigs) and couldn’t believe my eyes.

Comment

• Inside the Chris Jones deal

Posted by Mike Florio on July 14, 2020, 5:19 PM EDT

Getty Images

Chiefs defensive lineman Chris Jones has a long-term deal. But not the kind of long-term deal that Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes signed last week.

Mahomes is under contract for 12 years after signing a 10-year extension. Jones, whose rookie deal had expired, is under contract for only four.

It’s a four-year, $80 million deal, with $60 million functionally guaranteed, based on the structure.

He gets $16.26 million in 2020 (with no signing bonus), $21.5 million in 2021, $22.374 million in 2022, and $20 million in 2023.

Surprisingly, the Chiefs agreed not to insist on having a fifth or sixth year on the contract. Those final years provide a one-way benefit to the team; if the player is still playing at a high level, the team happily keeps him. If he isn’t, they cut him loose. For Jones, after four years he’ll be back at the table again.

Of the $80 million, 47 percent of it ($37.626 million) is fully guaranteed at signing. Roughly 70 percent ($55.75 million) is functionally guaranteed by the second year of the deal. By April 2021, Jones will pocket $37 million or nearly half of the full value of the contract.

Beyond the $80 million, he can earn $1.25 million per year in sack incentives, giving the deal a maximum value of $85 million.

Given that the pandemic is creating plenty of uncertainty, it’s a deal that ensures Jones will be with the Chiefs for four more seasons while also giving him the chance to hit the market before he turns 30.

Comment

• Proof that a team can keep players, if they want to and have the intelligence to do it.

Comment

• As I've said, the salary cap NEVER prevents a team from signing a player they want or want to keep.

It DOES make them decide who those essential players are.

Comment

• Man, that's a lot of cash to 2 players. Wow

Comment

• A lot of spite going on down there

YANNICK NGAKOUEDL, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Jaguars have been unwilling to trade unsigned franchise player DE Yannick Ngakoue.

There's reportedly been a market for the franchise-tagged 25-year-old, but Jacksonville has essentially been unwilling to give in to the demands of a player who has vowed to move on from the team at all costs. Ngakoue has still been "flexible" about playing on the tag elsewhere, leaving the door cracked open for a potential deal during the summer. He's not expected to sign his tender of $17.8 million at any point under the current regime.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
                            Jul 15, 2020, 10:17 AM

Comment

• Don Majkowski, Aveion Cason suing NFL, NFLPA over cuts to disability payments

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on July 16, 2020, 2:03 AM EDT

Getty Images

Former NFL players Don Majkowski and Aveion Cason are suing the NFL and the NFL Players Association over cuts made to their disability payments through the most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement.

According to Ken Belson of the New York Times, Majkowski and Cason filed the complaint in court last Friday in Washington D.C.

The newest CBA signed in March came with a provision that will cut the disability payments of approximately 400 former players starting in January. The value lost through the agreement could be over $2,000 a month as its tied to the value of their Social Security disability benefits.

“It is elemental in sports that you do not change the rules of the game in the middle of the game,” Paul Secunda, a lawyer for the players, said in a statement. “Yet that is exactly what the NFL. and NFLPA did to its most vulnerable members.”

Per the report, the new CBA reverses a provision that guaranteed that any player that was evaluated by an outside doctor to be eligible for Social Security benefits would receive the dispensation from the NFL. The new CBA sees that provision scheduled set to go away.

Majkowski made a Pro Bowl in 1989 as quarterback of the Green Bay Packers. He played for the Packers from 1997-1992 and then moved on for two seasons with both the Indianapolis Colts and Detroit Lions. Cason played for five different teams during his career including the Lions, St. Louis Rams, Dallas Cowboys, Arizona Cardinals and Kansas City Chiefs.

Comment

• ROGER GOODELLCOM, NFL

Profootballtalk's Mike Florio reports it's "very likely" the preseason is only one game.

The league has been lobbying for two games, with the NFLPA requesting zero. It appears they are ready to meet in the middle. Of course, the decision might still ultimately not be up to them. With the coronavirus pandemic currently out of control in large swaths of the country, predicting what things might look like a month from now is tough.

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
                                Jul 16, 2020, 6:18 PM

Comment

Working...
                                X