X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew Judon has “no clue” what will happen this offseason

Posted by Josh Alper on January 19, 2021, 4:08 PM EST

Getty Images

Matthew Judon ended last season on track for unrestricted free agency, but the Ravens didn’t let the pass rusher hit the open market.

Judon got the franchise tag and didn’t sign a long-term deal, so he’s back in a similar position this year. He had 50 tackles, six sacks, and 21 quarterback hits during the regular season and a stripped Bills quarterback Josh Allen of the ball on a sack last Sunday, but the Bills recovered and went on to eliminate the Ravens.

Judon said his five years in Baltimore have “been a hell of a ride” and he doesn’t know what will happen from here.

“But as me personally, I have no clue,” Judon said, via the team’s website. “I don’t really know. I’m not in those meetings. I’m not the higher-ups. If they want me here, like I said, this is home. This has been home since I got in the NFL, but if not, I enjoyed my five years.”

Yannick Ngakoue, Tyus Bowser, Pernell McPhee, and Jihad Ward are also headed for free agency, so the Ravens have a lot of decisions to make on the edges of their defense.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Report: Eagles interviewing Kellen Moore on Tuesday

Posted by Josh Alper on January 19, 2021, 3:49 PM EST

Getty Images

The Eagles are reportedly doubling up on head coaching interviews on Tuesday.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that the team is interviewing Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore. Colts offensive coordinator Nick Sirianni also met with the Eagles Tuesday.

Moore recently signed a new contract with the Cowboys. That move came after meeting with Boise State about his alma mater’s head coaching job, but the new deal may not be enough to keep him in Dallas if Tuesday’s meeting goes well.

The Eagles fired Doug Pederson just over a week ago and they have interviewed a number of candidates over that span. They are set to meet with Saints defensive coordinator Dennis Allen on Wednesday and there’s also word that they’d like to interview Cowboys special teams coach John Fassell.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Aaron Rodgers doesn’t expect much conversation with Ndamukong Suh this week

Posted by Mike Florio on January 20, 2021, 10:53 AM EST

Getty Images

After the Buccaneers faced the Packers in Week Six of the regular season, Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers had hoped to have a conversation with Tampa Bay defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. As an NFC Championship featuring both teams approaches, Rodgers has no such aspirations.

“I don’t think there will be a whole lot of conversation this week,” Rodgers said Tuesday on The Pat McAfee Show on SiriusXM Mad Dog Radio regarding potential interaction with Suh. “I wouldn’t expect a whole lot of conversation.”

Rodgers previously explained that, based on an interaction with Suh during the regular-season game, Rodgers “was under the impression we were going to have a conversation after the game.”

During the game, Suh had demonstrated a little extra fire and intensity when pursuing Rodgers.

“It was one of those, hey, I’m old, you’re old, let’s talk some things out,” Rodgers said at the time.. “I don’t know if he ran off the field after the game. I didn’t see him after the game. . . . I was looking forward to that conversation. I didn’t know how it was going to go. I didn’t think it was going, like, look, I’m not going to fight Ndamukong Suh. . . . After all these years playing together we’ve never had that conversation off the field. I think it would be interesting.”

It would be not nearly as interesting as the time in 2014 when Suh deliberately stepped on the lower leg of Rodgers, received a one-game suspension for the misconduct, and then claimed (presumably with a straight face) in the appeal process that Suh didn’t know where he was stepping because his feet were numb.

Comment

• Unclaimed on waivers, Mark Ingram can now sign with a playoff team

Posted by Mike Florio on January 20, 2021, 10:15 PM EST

Getty Images

We’re gathering more information regarding the unconventional decision of the Baltimore Ravens to waive multiple players in the aftermath of their postseason-ending loss to the Bills.

As previously explained, any player claimed on waivers now won’t officially join his new team until after the Super Bowl. If, however, the player passes through waivers unclaimed, he immediately becomes a free agent.

That provision allowed cornerback Tramon Williams, waived earlier this week by the Ravens and unclaimed, to sign with the Packers. If also will allow running back Mark Ingram to sign with one of the remaining teams, now that he has cleared waivers.

A team could have claimed Ingram on waivers simply to keep him from, for example, the Bills. That happened in 2002, when Washington waived Deion Sanders from the reserve/retired list so that he could sign with the Raiders for the Super Bowl run. The Chargers claimed Sanders on waivers, a vindictive move by former Washington coach Marty Schottenheimer, whose hiring in Washington eventually prompted Sanders to retire.

It’s the kind of move that likely would have been met with frustration by Ingram, who presumably wants to pursue his first NFL championship. It also could turn other players off to the team that does it.

As to the Ravens, they waived these players for the opposite reason. By giving the players a shot at landing with another team following Baltimore’s exit from the postseason instead of squatting on them until after the Super Bowl, the Ravens have scored points with other players who may be thinking about joining the Ravens in the future.

As to Ingram, because he cleared waivers he can now be signed by one of the remaining teams.

Comment

• Bears interview Mike Singletary for defensive coordinator

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 20, 2021, 6:44 PM EST

Getty Images

One of the best defensive players in the history of the Chicago Bears is a candidate to be their defensive coordinator.

Hall of Fame linebacker Mike Singletary was interviewed for the Bears’ defensive coordinator vacancy, according to TheAthletic.com.

The Bears need a new defensive coordinator after Chuck Pagano retired, but Singletary is a surprising name to see surface. The 62-year-old Singletary has never been an NFL defensive coordinator, and he hasn’t been on an NFL staff since he worked for the Rams in 2016.

He was head coach of the Memphis Express of the Alliance of American Football in 2019. He was head coach of the 49ers in 2009 and 2010 and had been a linebackers coach and assistant head coach before that.

Comment

• Which teams would, should, could be interested in Deshaun Watson?

Posted by Mike Florio on January 20, 2021, 6:19 PM EST

Getty Images

When attempting to list the teams that should or would or could be interested in Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson, it’s arguably easier to list the teams that shouldn’t or wouldn’t or couldn’t be. On today’s PFT Live, Chris Simms and I tried to do both.

The end result was a lengthy discussion that came up with a list of teams to watch.

Watson has plenty of power in this regard, if the Texans decide to trade him. The no-trade clause allows Watson to veto teams like Elaine vetoing new first names for Joel Rifkin. Thus, where Watson is willing to play becomes a key first step in the process.

Plenty of other challenges will remain, even after getting a list of preferred prospective Watson teams. The Texans will want and deserve fair value. The team that trades for Watson won’t want to mortgage the future, Herschel Walker-style. And Watson won’t want to go from one 4-12 team to another team that can’t avoid a similar fate because of everything it gave up to get him.

While discussing the possibilities, Simms and I tripped over another possibility: A three-team trade. That could happen if the team that Watson wants and that wants Watson has a quarterback the Texans don’t want (e.g., Derek Carr). The team that gets Watson would trade its current starter to a new team, and that team would then add draft capital to the pile that ultimately flows to the Texans.

However it plays out, it won’t be easy. But if Watson truly wants out and doesn’t relent and the Texans opt not to take a “play for us or play for no one” hard line with Watson, it’s a puzzle that will have to be solved — and the sooner the better.

Comment

• DWAYNE HASKINSQB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

Steelers hosted ex-Washington Football Team QB Dwayne Haskins Thursday.

Steelers are in need of a backup quarterback with only Mason Rodolph under contract behind Ben Roethlisberger in 2021, but Haskins ain't it. Only one year removed from coming off the board as Washington's No. 15 overall pick, Haskins showed zero signs of development or maturity for a revamped organization last year, finally getting benched and waived (with no team claiming him) altogether ahead of the regular season finale. Despite his surrounding interest, the 23-year-old isn't expected to sign anywhere until the new league year.

RELATED:
                SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
                Jan 21, 2021, 10:53 AM

Comment

• HUE JACKSONC, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

Steelers interviewed Hue Jackson for its offensive coordinator vacancy.

Jackson's 3-36-1 record as Cleveland's head coach overshadowed his unbridled success as an offensive coordinator for the 12-4 Bengals in 2015. There are more progressive hires available, but Jackson has proven to be a far better coordinator than every-day decision-maker and weekly planner for an entire organization. The Steelers are coincidently the only team in the AFC North Jackson has yet to work with.

RELATED:
                  SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter
                  Jan 21, 2021, 11:11 AM

Comment

• Coaching Rumors: 49ers, Chargers, Jaguars, Eagles

January 21st, 2021 at 11:14am CST by Zach Links

The 49ers‘ staff is starting to come together, as Matt Barrows of The Athletic writes. Chris Foerster has been bumped up to primary offensive line coach while Rich Scangarello will return as the quarterbacks coach. Scangarello served as SF’s QBs coach in 2017 and 2018 before the Broncos tapped him as their OC in 2019. After a rough time in Denver and one year in Philly, he’s headed back to the Bay Area.

Here’s a look at the latest coach and coordinator news:
                    • The Chargers will interview Colts defensive backs coach Jonathan Gannon for their defensive coordinator job, as Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets. Gannon is also being considered by the Bears for their DC role.
                    • Meanwhile, new Chargers coach Brandon Staley is bringing Rams assistant Joe Barry along for the ride as his defensive passing game coordinator and linebackers coach (Twitter link via Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero of NFL.com).
                    • The Jaguars have requested an interview with Colts quarterbacks coach Marcus Brady for their offensive coordinator job, as Pelissero tweets.
                    • The Eagles are interested in interviewing Cowboys special teams coach John Fassel, according to Marcus Hayes of the Philadelphia Inquirer (Twitter link). Fassel, the son of ex-Giants head coach Jim Fassel, spent eight years as the Rams’ ST coordinator. He also served as the Rams’ interim head coach for the final three games of 2016.

Comment

• Steelers sign Dwayne Haskins

Posted by Josh Alper on January 21, 2021, 2:22 PM EST

Getty Images

Quarterback Dwayne Haskinsvisit with the Steelers apparently went well.

According to multiple reports, the Steelers have agreed to terms with Haskins on a contract. He will be part of their offseason roster and compete for a spot on the 53-man one they will take into the 2021 season.

Haskins started six games for Washington this season and was pulled from his final appearance in Week 16. That start came a week after Haskins was seen out partying without a mask, which earned him a fine from the team and Washington cut Haskins a few days after that Week 16 loss.

The Steelers had four quarterbacks under contract in 2020. Ben Roethlisberger and Mason Rudolph are signed for next season, but Josh Dobbs is headed for free agency and Devlin Hodges said his goodbyes to the team this week.

Comment

• Reports: Eagles will hire Nick Sirianni as head coach

Posted by Myles Simmons on January 21, 2021, 2:09 PM EST

Getty Images

The Eagles have found their man.

According to multiple reports, Philadelphia will hire Indianapolis offensive coordinator Nick Sirianni as head coach.

Sirianni has spent the last three seasons as the Colts’ offensive coordinator under head coach Frank Reich. Sirianni was with the Chargers from 2013-2017, going from offensive quality control, to quarterbacks coach, and then wide receivers coach.

NFL media reported Sirianni received a strong recommendation from Reich in the interview process.

Philadelphia fired Doug Pederson last Monday after five seasons, leading the franchise to its first Super Bowl win in 2017.

New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels was reportedly another strong contender for the job.

With the Eagles hiring Sirianni, the Texans have the only remaining head coaching vacancy.

Comment

• Futures of Matt Ryan, Julio Jones remain undecided in Atlanta

Posted by Mike Florio on January 22, 2021, 9:53 AM EST

Getty Images

The Falcons made it clear after the firing of coach Dan Quinn and G.M. Thomas Dimitroff that the next coach and G.M. will have a major voice in determining the futures of key players like quarterback Matt Ryan and receiver Julio Jones.

New coach Arthur Smith recently explained in a video visit with PFT that assessments of both cornerstone players, along with the rest of the roster, have not been made.

“No decision with personnel has been made right now,” Smith said. “It’s just so early. . . . We’re just not gonna make any snap judgments. There is a long process. We’ve got to get in here with staffs. We’ve got to go through every guy on this roster. And we’re gonna take our time. There’s no decision that has to be made today. It’s not Matt and Julio, it’s every player on this roster.”

Owner Arthur Blank has said that Ryan will have a role in deciding his future, leaving the door open for a divorce initiated by the player, not by the team. In speaking with Ryan, has Arthur Smith gotten the impression that Ryan wants to stay?

“I don’t want to speak for Matt,” Smith said. “We’ve had good conversations. And I’ve got a ton of respect for Matt. I know what Matt’s about, the people that work with him. These conversations are ongoing, but I’ll never speak for one of my players. I’ll tell them, ‘You’ve got to speak for yourself.'”

The salary cap, which some believe will be $180 million in 2021, looms over both Ryan and Jones. Ryan has a cap number of $40.9 million. Of that amount, $17.9 million arises from past bonuses and restructurings. Trading him would add another $26.5 million to that total.

Thus, barring an extension that reduces Ryan’s 2021 cap number, the Falcons will carry a charge in excess of $40 million, whether he’s on the team or not. For Jones, the cap number will be in excess of $23 million, whether on the team or not.

That’s more than $63 million for two players. If the cap does indeed drop to $180 million, that leaves $117 million for the rest of the roster. Thus, either way, it will be a challenge for the Falcons to be as competitive as they can be in 2021.

Comment

• Vance McDonald announces his retirement

Posted by Josh Alper on January 22, 2021, 9:12 AM EST

Getty Images

Steelers tight end Vance McDonald has called it a career.

McDonald announced his retirement on Friday. McDonald spent the last four seasons with the Steelers.

“My family and I are so grateful for everything NFL football has provided us in our life — all the memories both good and the difficult, the relationships and friends we’ve made along the way, the life lessons the game provided both me and my loved ones,” McDonald said in a statement released through the team. “It’s always been our dream and mission to leverage the platform given us through the NFL to help serve and uplift others along the way, and we will continue to find ways to serve others as we begin this next chapter of our lives. I am proud to retire a Steeler.”

He played college football at Rice and opened his NFL career as a second-round pick of the 49ers. He spent four seasons with the Niners before being traded to Pittsburgh just before the start of the 2017 season.

McDonald had 15 catches for 99 yards in 14 games during the 2020 season. He had 181 catches for 2,036 yards and 15 touchdowns over the course of his career.

Eric Ebron and Zach Gentry are the other tight ends on the Steelers roster.

Comment

• Eric Bieniemy: Obviously, yes I do want to be a head coach

Posted by Myles Simmons on January 21, 2021, 5:35 PM EST

Getty Images

It’s looked for a while like Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy would not get a head coaching job in the 2021 hiring cycle. With just the Texans job available after the Eagles picked Nick Sirianni on Thursday, that’s very close to fruition.

But Bieniemy isn’t letting the fact that he’s become a symbol of this coaching cycle distract him from doing his job.

“It’s always good to be mentioned and have an opportunity to pursue your dreams. And obviously, yes, I do want to be a head coach,” Bieniemy said in his press conference. “But when it’s all said and done with, my job is to make sure everything that we’re doing right now is not to take away from the goals we’re trying to accomplish. The only thing that matters [is] today we got better. Today, we had an opportunity to make sure we can take care of situational football, as far as short yardage, goal line, and our third-down situations. So now it’s time for us to go back in and chop wood, watch this tape, and get ready for the next day. We want to make sure we’re getting our guys ready to make sure they can take care of business on Sunday.

“My own personal business, when all that’s time to take care of itself, that will take care of itself. But thanks for asking.”

Bieniemy has interviewed with the Texans and is reportedly still in consideration for their head coaching vacancy. But with Deshaun Watson unhappy and potentially on the verge of asking for a trade, sticking as Kansas City’s offensive coordinator for another year may be a more attractive option.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

That doesn't sound like a man who is just holding a clip board while someone else is doing his job.
                              Last edited by Futureshock; January 22, 2021, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• Alex Smith finds it “ridiculous” Eric Bieniemy doesn’t have head coaching job

Posted by Charean Williams on January 21, 2021, 5:32 PM EST

USA TODAY Sports

Only one head coaching job remains open and Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy remains waiting. Bieniemy is a candidate for the Texans’ job and has strong support from quarterback Deshaun Watson.

Washington quarterback Alex Smith, who worked with Bieniemy for five seasons in Kansas City, finds it difficult to believe Bieniemy doesn’t already have a head coaching job.

Eleven teams have hired head coaches over the past year, and all passed on Bieniemy.

“Yeah, I think it’s ridiculous that he hasn’t been hired yet,” Smith said on the Yahoo Sports NFL podcast with Charles Robinson and Terez Paylor, via NBCSportsWashington.com. “I know the interview process is weird with a team still in [the playoffs]. But regardless, I don’t see how you can excuse it.”

Bieniemy doesn’t call plays in Kansas City; head coach Andy Reid does.

But being an NFL head coach entails more than Xs and Os, and plenty of recent head coaching hires haven’t called the plays before getting a promotion.

“I think Eric’s No. 1 quality — and it was apparent from the first day I met him — was his leadership,” Smith said. “Leadership ability, a true leader of men. He was a guy that had played for a long time. He was a great teacher, commanded respect because he gave respect also.”

Ron Rivera, Doug Pederson and Matt Nagy all got head coaching jobs after working under Reid. All three led their teams to the playoffs.

“To have been in that system, to have been kind of groomed and brought up with all those guys — certainly with Andy [Reid] but certainly to see Doug [Pederson] and Nags [Matt Nagy] — I don’t see how you could be more ready,” Smith said.

Comment

Working...
                                X