No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He seems cool. Not many Packers fans are willing to admit the things he does.
    #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
      He seems cool. Not many Packers fans are willing to admit the things he does.
      He might be the only Packer fan that I like.

Angie Agar gets an Ok grade from me for being devoted to her special needs brother, but she's still a Packer fan.
      "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
      My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
        He seems cool. Not many Packers fans are willing to admit the things he does.
        He does seem cool.

The part where the refs were trying to help the Pack get back into the game was fantastic.
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• And yes his mirror needs to be cleaned. Badly
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Which 2023 NFL Draft picks have excelled so far? Our early All-Rookie Team

The Athletic NFL Staff
            Oct 4, 2023

It’s impossible to hand out complete NFL Draft grades the day players are picked, as full context — multiple seasons’ worth — is needed for an exercise like that. However, we can do our best to chart progress along the way.

Which brings us to our All-Rookie Team at (approximately) the quarter mark of the 17-game NFL season. Our NFL Draft staff voted, position by position, on the early standouts from the 2023 class. Who’s leading the way for the first-year players?

Quarterback: C.J. Stroud, Texans

Honorable mention: Anthony Richardson, Bryce Young

It has been really enjoyable to watch Stroud carve up NFL defenses the past four weeks. My No. 4 player in the 2023 draft class, the Ohio State product was poised and structurally sound in college, and that has translated nicely to the pro game. His natural rhythm and pacing as a passer are why he has had such a hot start — and why he should be a productive starter for the next decade.

A close second, Richardson has helped the Colts be competitive from Day 1. The passing volatility he’s shown was to be expected for a player with such meager experience — he currently ranks 33rd in the NFL in adjusted completion percentage. Considering he is just scratching the surface, though, the explosive plays (with both his arm and his legs) have been special.

Young obviously falls third among the big three so far, given the number of rookie mistakes he’s made. But anyone who watches his tape can see that he will be just fine, especially once the Panthers give him more help. I can’t wait to see how this three-quarterback race ebbs and flows throughout the regular season. — Dane Brugler

Running back: Bijan Robinson, Falcons; De’Von Achane, Dolphins

Honorable mention: Jahmyr Gibbs, Zach Charbonnet, Roschon Johnson, Tank Bigsby, Tyjae Spears

Achane is putting up Madden numbers this season, averaging an unfathomable 11.4 yards per carry. The speed and space of Miami’s offense are force multipliers and give Achane plenty of running lanes. He leads all running backs with 30 or more attempts in success rate and total expected points added.

Robinson’s numbers are incredible for a rookie, too, and his degree of difficulty is higher than most. Among all rookie backs, he’s seeing the highest rate of eight-man boxes (and 15th-most overall in the NFL), but he ranks still third in the league in explosive run rate (15 percent). Averaging six yards per carry and gaining 58 percent of his yards after contact, Robinson is exactly the player he was promised to be. — Diante Lee

Wide receiver: Puka Nacua, Rams; Tank Dell, Texans; Zay Flowers, Ravens

Honorable mention: Marvin Mims Jr., Jordan Addison, Josh Downs, Michael Wilson, Jayden Reed, Trey Palmer, Rashee Rice, Ronnie Bell, Dontayvion Wicks

Nacua has been the clear top rookie wideout … just like we all thought, right? He ranks No. 1 among all NFL players in targets (50, tied with Davante Adams) and receptions (39) and is second in receiving yards (501, behind only Justin Jefferson). Somehow, he has found the end zone only once, but that touchdown won an overtime game Sunday. Based on his college film, I gave Nacua a third-round draft grade, but the major variable was his durability. Despite being banged up, he has stayed on the field thus far for Los Angeles, and he landed in a perfect situation with Matthew Stafford.

A pair of “undersized” receivers, Flowers and Dell, deserve to be recognized, too. Flowers is second among rookies in receptions (24) and has been electric with the ball in his hands. He’s also yet to register a drop. Meanwhile, Dell’s 267 receiving yards rank second among first-year players, and his two touchdown grabs are tied for first among rookies. — Brugler

Tight end: Sam LaPorta, Lions

Honorable mention: Luke Musgrave, Dalton Kincaid, Will Mallory, Josh Whyle

Detroit surprised many when it took LaPorta at No. 34, ahead of Notre Dame tight end Michael Mayer. However, the Iowa product set multiple NFL rookie tight end records during the season’s first three weeks, including receptions (18) and games with at least five catches (three). He currently leads all NFL TEs in yards receiving and has been the best run blocker in the class thus far.

Kincaid has made some plays and will continue to get better as he adjusts to the physicality of the game (and to Josh Allen’s unique brand of quarterbacking). Musgrave started strong but suffered a concussion in Week 4. — Nick Baumgardner

Offensive line: Dawand Jones, Browns; Jarrett Patterson, Texans; Steve Avila, Rams; Matthew Bergeron, Falcons; Paris Johnson Jr., Cardinals

Honorable mention: O’Cyrus Torrence, Darnell Wright, Cody Mauch, Chandler Zavala, John Michael Schmitz Jr., Anton Harrison, Joe Tippmann, Peter Skoronski, Atonio Mafi

No surprise to see Torrence on this list — he was ready to go when he was drafted. Avila has had some technical issues, but he fights through every rep and looks like a keeper. After coming off the bench in Week 1, Jones has been near-perfect in pass pro for two of his three starts and has allowed just one QB hit in 154 reps. Bergeron has flashed, and he will continue to improve in Atlanta’s system.

The surprise of the group, perhaps, has been Patterson. He won the starting center job in camp, and, outside of a rough opener against Baltimore, hasn’t had any issues with his below-average length. His play IQ also continues to show up in positive ways. His last two outings (at Jacksonville, vs. Pittsburgh) were his best yet. — Baumgardner

continued..

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Edge: Will Anderson Jr., Texans; Tuli Tuipulotu, Chargers; Byron Young, Rams

Honorable mention: Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Lukas Van Ness, Keion White, Colby Wooden, Myles Murphy, Zach Harrison

Anderson has made Houston’s aggressive trade to acquire him look like a worthy investment. Of all rookies with 100 or more snaps on the edge, he’s third in total pressures (13) and second in pressure rate (13 percent). His high energy and intensity show up in all facets of his game and have been a boon to this rebuilding Texans roster.

Just like in his final season at USC, Tuipulotu is producing with a relentless motor and hand-fighting skills. He’s second among all rookie edge rushers in total pressures (14) and just a shade behind Anderson in pressure rate.

Young is in the same cluster as Anderson and Tuipulotu, as he leads all rookies in total pressures (16) and pressure rate (15 percent). If he stays healthy, he can be another major steal by the Rams as their roster pivots. — Lee

Defensive line: Jalen Carter, Eagles; Bryan Bresee, Saints

Honorable mention: Gervon Dexter Sr., Kobie Turner, Karl Brooks, Keeanu Benton

There’s a reason Carter was considered the best prospect in the 2023 draft class, and he’s already playing like one of the most impactful defensive tackles in the entire NFL. His 20-percent pressure rate leads all rookie defensive linemen (on the interior or the edge), and he’s second only to Aaron Donald among all DTs in total pressures (20). He already has a pair of tackles for loss as a run defender, too, flashing the get-off and quickness that make him hard to block without help.

Bresee has been a surprising anchor in New Orleans, and he earned this nod largely thanks to an 81-percent success rate against the run when he’s on the field. He already has three TFLs and an impressive 16-percent tackle rate against the run, flashing the quickness and power that made him a top recruit out of high school. Bresee also has 10 pressures and a pressure rate of 12 percent, healthy signs that his ceiling will allow him to be on the field on all three downs. — Lee

Linebacker: Ivan Pace Jr., Vikings; Jack Campbell, Lions; Henry To’oTo’o, Texans

Honorable mention: Marte Mapu, Nick Herbig

There were 24 off-ball linebackers drafted in April. Somehow, Pace wasn’t one of them. I understand why he wasn’t a top-100 draft pick: He is undersized, and scouts had questions about his ability to hold up in coverage or even play special teams in the NFL. But Pace still was too good on his Cincinnati film to go undrafted. His instincts, play speed and overall urgency to affect the game have translated well.

Personally, I voted for To’oTo’o as the second linebacker — he leads all rookies in tackles (27). But I also understand the love for Campbell. He hasn’t been a full-time guy for the Lions just yet, but he has been productive when on the field. — Brugler

Cornerback: Christian Gonzalez, Patriots; Devon Witherspoon, Seahawks; Emmanuel Forbes, Commanders

Honorable mention: Jakorian Bennett, Deonte Banks, Kei’Trel Clark, DJ Turner, Tyrique Stevenson

The NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Month for September, Gonzalez was thrown into several sink-or-swim situations over the Patriots’ first four games and managed to keep his head well above water. Against NFL playmakers like Tyreek Hill and Garrett Wilson, Gonzalez did an outstanding job staying attached to routes while collecting three passes defended, one interception and one sack. He has yet to give up a touchdown or commit a penalty and has graded well as a run defender. Unfortunately, Gonzalez suffered a shoulder injury Sunday against Dallas that will sideline him indefinitely.

Right on his heels, Witherspoon has been electric the last three weeks, including an All-Pro-level performance versus the Giants on Monday night. (He became the first defensive back in NFL history with a pick six and multiple sacks in the same game).

Forbes is one of only five players in the league with at least five passes defended this season, but he also has given up his share of explosive plays (see: the Eagles game).

I did want to shout out Clark, an honorable mention, who’s leading all defensive rookies in snaps played (272) by a healthy margin and has yet to allow a touchdown for the Cardinals. — Brugler

Nickel/Safety: Brian Branch, Lions; Christian Izien, Bucs

Honorable mention: Jordan Howden

Not only has Branch been arguably the best rookie DB in the league thus far (and maybe the NFL’s best defensive rookie period), he’s also been one of the most reliable slot corners in the NFL, regardless of age. Per TruMedia, Branch leads all defensive backs in true stops (14), and his run defense has been brilliant. It’s early, but Branch, taken No. 45, looks like one of the draft’s top steals.

And if he’s a steal, then Izien — an undrafted free agent — certainly qualifies. He’s been a quality slot corner in Tampa Bay. People got lost in the measurements here, but the 5-foot-10, 200-pounder is pure explosive muscle, toughness and agility. He has two interceptions, and he’s given the Bucs some quality run defense. — Baumgardner

Kicker: Jake Moody, 49ers

Honorable mention: Brandon Aubrey, Anders Carlson, Chad Ryland, Blake Grupe

Two very different stories at the top of the ballot. Moody, our first-teamer, was a top-100 pick back in April. He’s hit on all nine of his field goal attempts, including a 57-yarder to give San Francisco a lead against the Rams, and he’s 14-of-14 on extra points. The 49ers had a loaded enough roster to afford something of a luxury pick, and it’s paid off so far.

Aubrey has taken a longer road. A 2017 MLS draft pick (not a typo), he made his way to Dallas this offseason via the USFL’s Birmingham Stallions. His first four weeks: 13-of- 13 on field goals (with a long of 55) and 9-of-10 on extra points. We’ll reevaluate midseason, because Aubrey may have been snubbed here. — Chris Burke

Punter: Ethan Evans, Rams

Honorable mention: Bryce Baringer, Brad Robbins, Lou Hedley, Ty Zentner

Evans (pick No. 223) leads all rookie punters with a 48.5 yards-per-punt average, which puts him less than a yard outside the NFL’s top 10 in that category. He’s also averaging a respectable 41.1 net yards per punt and has forced a touchback on 95.2 percent of his kickoff attempts.

It’s a relatively strong rookie class at this position, in general. Runner-up to Evans here: Baringer, a sixth-round pick of the Patriots who’s leading the entire league in punts pinned inside the 20 (11). He’s also forced eight fair catches, which ranks behind only Jets veteran Thomas Morstead (11) and Robbins (9). — Burke

Special teams: Marvin Mims Jr., Broncos

Honorable mention: Charlie Jones, Xavier Gipson, Derius Davis

When he’s gotten a chance to touch the ball this season, Mims has been electric. He’s averaging a league-best 35.2 yards per kick return, aided by a 99-yard TD he broke off against Miami. (Downside for the Broncos: That TD only cut the Dolphins’ lead at the time to 63-20.) Mims also has a 45-yard punt return to his credit, and he’s averaging 26.9 yards per reception. Right now, the Denver rookie is on pace for 2,133.5 all-purpose yards this season. — Burke

​​
              My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                And yes his mirror needs to be cleaned. Badly
                Probably sticker residue. It's fubar.
                "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                  My friend Ken L

Comment

• R.I.P. Dick. You were the best.
                    GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• That sounds like the dick isn’t working anymore
                      F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• In all seriousness he did seem like a cool guy and he was a good character on My Two Dads.
                        F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Speaking of the Bears, they unloaded Claypool for a late round pick swap with Miami after giving up a 2nd rounder for him.
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

[Butkus] did seem like a cool guy and he was a good character on My Two Dads.
                            I got a chuckle out of Butkus’ character (Ed) being an ex-football player, but a center rather than a linebacker. IIRC, there was a scene where he was demonstrating how to snap a ball. Looked totally natural; almost like he had done it before for realz.

RIP, Mr. Butkus.
                            Evil Parallel Universe Lions fans: You will believe in NOW! Comply or suffer the consequences.

This sig brought to you by Omni Consumer Products. For all your consumer product and government needs, OCP has the approved solution for you.

Comment

Speaking of the Bears, they unloaded Claypool for a late round pick swap with Miami after giving up a 2nd rounder for him.
                              What's funny is that the 2nd rounder they gave up for him was absolutely the highest a 2nd rounder could be. 32nd pick due to Miami forfeiting their 1st. Now swapping their 7th with Miami's 6th is possibly going to be literally one spot, other than compensatory picks.
                              "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                              Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Lion View Post

What's funny is that the 2nd rounder they gave up for him was absolutely the highest a 2nd rounder could be. 32nd pick due to Miami forfeiting their 1st. Now swapping their 7th with Miami's 6th is possibly going to be literally one spot, other than compensatory picks.
                                The Bears GM did a Matt Millen move with the Claypool transaction, when he first got him.

The Steelers were probably laughing at getting one over Chicago, since they knew what a knucklehead Claypool is.
                                My friend Ken L

Comment

Working...
                                X