X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osi Umenyiora’s initiative lands six Nigerian players on NFL rosters

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 4, 2023, 7:24 AM EDT

Getty Images

Former NFL player Osi Umenyiora, born in London to Nigerian parents, has made attracting more international players to the league one of his top priorities. And this year he has found significant success.

The NFL announced today that eight players have been given roster spots for the 2023 season via the league’s International Pathway Program, and six of them are from Nigeria and were discovered via Umenyiora’s The Uprise initiative, which hosted the first NFL Africa talent camp last year.

“To see these fantastic young Nigerian men achieve their dream to be on an NFL roster is incredibly exciting, and I am proud of how each one of them have worked incredibly hard to earn this moment,” Umenyiora said in a statement. “I cannot wait to see how they develop next season and in the years to come, and know that everyone in Nigeria will be following their progress with pride.”

The six Nigerian players who will get NFL roster spots this year are defensive lineman Haggai Chisom Ndubuisi (Broncos), offensive lineman Chukwuebuka Godrick (Chiefs), defensive lineman David Ebuka Agoha (Raiders), defensive lineman Basil Chijioke Okoye (Chargers), offensive lineman Roy Mbaeteka (Bears) and defensive lineman Kenneth Odumegwu (Packers).

The NFL’s International Pathway Program will also give roster spots to Australian tight end Patrick Murtagh (Lions) and French defensive lineman Junior Aho (Vikings).

The eight international players will be on their teams’ rosters through training camp, without counting toward the 90-player roster limit. It’s possible for them to earn a 53-player roster spot for the regular season, although it’s more likely they’ll land on the practice squad, where they also won’t count toward the practice squad limit.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Does the ball spin in the opposite direction when you throw to an Aussie?
      Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• Only after you flush the toilet.

Comment

• Jeff Ireland: Saints rookie quarterback Jake Haener has similarities to Drew Brees

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 8, 2023, 2:47 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Saints believe fourth-round rookie quarterback Jake Haener has some of the same traits as the greatest quarterback in franchise history.

Jeff Ireland, the Saints’ assistant general manager and college scouting director, told Jeff Duncan of NoLa.com that Haener, who like Brees is short but an accurate passer, has great potential.

“You wouldn’t think he was 6-foot tall when you watch him,” Ireland said of Haener. “He’s got great processing ability. He’s got great vision. He’s got a quick stroke. He’s extremely smart. He’s a sixth-year senior, so he’s really mature for being a college senior. He’s competed in two different programs, he’s competed at Washington, competed at Fresno State. And I was just really impressed with the person, how he plays. He’s had several fourth-quarter comebacks. He does kind of remind you or there’s some similarities to No. 9.”

Ireland acknowledged that there’s only one Drew Brees, but he also said Haener has special traits.

“You can’t really compare him, and I’m always careful to use the comparison because he doesn’t compare to Drew, he’s the only one,” Ireland said. “But there are some similarities that make you feel like, OK, maybe he can play similarly to that person. And you thought, OK, well you got another short quarterback in the league, you got Bryce Young. He just got picked first in the draft. What if Jake’s in that offense [at Alabama]? I just think, hypothetically, Jake would have success if he’s at Alabama. So we tossed a lot of these things around, like the idea of having a young developmental quarterback learn a new system with Derek [Carr] and Jameis [Winston]. So that’s just a smart business move, in our opinion. We felt like that was a smart move to get a young player in there to develop. We just want to see him develop in a system where we feel like it’s going to be successful, learn from two guys that have been doing this and battled as starters in this league. We feel like that’s smart business.”

If Haener can earn that comparison to Brees, drafting him in the fourth round will prove to be very smart business.
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Shane Steichen: Anthony Richardson has come in attacking this thing like a pro

Posted by Myles Simmons on May 8, 2023, 9:56 AM EDT

Getty Images

Colts No. 4 overall pick Anthony Richardson got his first taste of his new day-to-day work environment over the weekend at rookie minicamp.

Indianapolis has not put any timetable on Richardson becoming the club’s starting quarterback. But head coach Shane Steichen seems to like his new QB’s initial approach.

“He’s come in every day attacking this thing like a pro,” Steichen said over the weekend, via JJ Stankewitz of the team’s website. “And we just got to continue to be consistent with it every single day.”

The Colts didn’t get after it too hard over the weekend, with the minicamp more focused on coaches starting to get to know players. But Steichen noted Richardson has the kind of demeanor that should serve him well as a quarterback.

“He’s got a great presence,” Steichen said. “He’s got a great bounce in his step, he’s always smiling, got great energy, enthusiastic. I think when you have that, I think players around him will feed off him.”

If Richardson can get comfortable with the playbook and his teammates, hey may be starting games for Indianapolis sooner than later in 2023.

Comment

• Nolan Smith has “so many questions” for Haason Reddick

Posted by Josh Alper on May 8, 2023, 9:01 AM EDT

Getty Images

Nolan Smith’s ability to make plays off the edge made him an Eagles first-round pick, but he knows that there’s still a lot for him to learn about the position as he makes the transition to the NFL.

While at the Eagles’ rookie minicamp this weekend, Smith said that Georgia head coach Kirby Smart told the team’s players that “you’re just ignorant” if you think you know everything and that he knows which of his new veteran teammates has the most to teach him. Reddick said he plans to start picking Haason Reddick‘s brain once everyone starts working together on Monday.

“I feel like [we] get knocked on the same thing,” Smith said, via Josh Tolentino of the Philadelphia Inquirer. “Guys like us that are undersized, I want to know certain things about [Reddick’s] game, how he approaches the game, how does he study. There’s so many questions that I’ve got to ask.”

Reddick set a career high with 16 sacks during the 2022 season and anything he can do to help Smith on the way to that kind of production will be welcomed by the Eagles.

Comment

• Bears hope Darnell Mooney is ready for training camp

Posted by Josh Alper on May 8, 2023, 6:41 AM EDT

Getty Images

Bears wide receiver Darnell Mooney ended last season on the shelf because of an ankle injury and he isn’t ready to get back on the field yet.

Mooney has been at the team’s facility during their offseason program as he continues his recovery and wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert said this weekend that the team “certainly hopes” that he’ll be ready to go when the team gets to training camp this summer.

“He’s great with his rehab. He’s running right now. He’s doing well. . . . His attitude has been great. He’s in here every single day,” Tolbert said, via Courtney Cronin of ESPN.com.

Mooney missed five games last year, but still led Bears wideouts with 40 catches for 493 yards on the season. He is set to work with Chase Claypool and new Bear DJ Moore once he’s cleared for action later this year.

Comment

• Packer-turned-Jet Billy Turner: Cool to see how happy Aaron Rodgers is right now

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 8, 2023, 4:19 AM EDT

Getty Images

Jets offensive lineman Billy Turner blocked for Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay for three seasons before the two of them reunited this year in New York, and Turner says Rodgers has never looked happier.

Turner said on Mad Dog Sports Radio that Rodgers’ positive attitude was apparent to everyone at the Jets’ offseason workouts.

“The dude just shows up to work and he’s just so fucking happy right now,” Turner said. “It’s very cool to witness and see because it doesn’t matter how long you’re in this profession, it’s the type of profession where regardless of how long you spend in it, you can always experience something new. And he’s experiencing something new for the first time in his career, and it’s cool to be part of and watch.”

Turner said Rodgers’ happiness with the Jets is definitely a product of his frustrations with the Packers.

“I don’t think the Green Bay Packers realized and understood what he had left in the tank,” Turner said. “He has everything left in the tank.”

Comment

• Justin Fields is “light years ahead” of where he was last year at this time

Posted by Charean Williams on May 7, 2023, 10:08 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Bears had the No. 1 overall pick and could have used it to draft a quarterback. But they’ve seen enough of Justin Fields, the No. 11 overall choice in 2021, to think they have their franchise quarterback.

The Bears used the extra picks obtained from the Panthers in the trade of the top pick to continue to build around Fields.

Offensive coordinator Luke Getsy expects Fields to take another step this season.

“Where he was at this time last year to where he is now, I think he’s just light years ahead of where he was,” Getsy said Saturday, via Colleen Kane of the Chicago Tribune. “And I feel like he has a ton more to grow going forward. So we’re excited to try to get the best out of him moving forward and keep working toward where we think he can go.”

Fields, 23, rushed for a team-leading 1,143 yards and eight touchdowns, but he led the league with 16 fumbles, threw 11 interceptions and averaged 149.5 yards passing per game. The Bears went 3-14.

Bears head coach Matt Eberflus has seen improvement already this offseason.

“Part of that [needed improvement] is rhythm and timing. That’s the footwork with Justin,” Eberflus said. “He’s been working on that really, really good in terms of the quick pass, dropback pass, movement pass, and he’s really made some big strides in that area coming in so far — on his own and now coming into the phase two [of the offseason program], that first week.”

Fields will have more to work with after the Bears added tight end Robert Tonyan in free agency, drafted receiver Tyler

Comment

• Van Jefferson: Matthew Stafford’s return “makes a huge difference”

Posted by Charean Williams on May 7, 2023, 9:13 PM EDT

Getty Images

Receiver Van Jefferson is back healthy and so is quarterback Matthew Stafford.

Jefferson had knee surgery during the offseason and had another one in August that kept him out the first six games of the season. He didn’t catch a pass in his first two appearances and ended the year with 24 catches for 369 yards and three touchdowns in 11 games.

Stafford missed eight games in 2022, the final seven with concussions and a spinal-cord contusion.

The two played only three games together.

But they both are back on the field at the team’s offseason program.

“Oh yeah, I think that makes a huge difference,” Jefferson said of Stafford, via Stu Jackson of the team website. “I think [it does] for all the guys that are out there throwing with Matt. He’s looking great. He’s always been great, so it’s just great to be out there with him again and see him healthy, and see him slinging it like he does. It’s good to just be out there and get some passes with him.”

Comment

• Report: Jets, Quinnen Williams not close to contract extension

Posted by Josh Alper on May 7, 2023, 12:12 PM EDT

Getty Images

Defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence signed a contract extension with the Giants this week, but it doesn’t look like another defensive tackle who calls MetLife Stadium home is on the verge of signing one.

Jets General Manager Joe Douglas said recently that he is “optimistic and hopeful” about reaching an agreement with Quinnen Williams on a new deal. Rich Cimini of ESPN reports that the two sides are not close to striking a deal, however.

Lawrence’s extension followed new deals for Jeffery Simmons and Daron Payne that have given shape to the top of the market for defensive tackles. That hasn’t been enough to get things rolling for Williams and the Jets, but it should help the process at some point.

Williams is currently set to play the 2023 season on his fifth-year option at a salary of $9.594 million. He has not been taking part in the team’s voluntary workouts this spring.

Comment

• Matt LaFleur credits Tom Clements for the “huge strides” Jordan Love has made

Posted by Mike Florio on May 7, 2023, 11:46 AM EDT

Getty Images

Last year, the Packers brought back quarterback coach Tom Clements at the apparent insistence of Aaron Rodgers. And Clements could be one of the major keys to getting the most out of Rodgers’s successor.

On Saturday, Packers coach Matt LaFleur credited Clements for helping Love get ready for his new status as the Green Bay starter.

“Just watching him last year, I think Jordan’s made some huge strides,” LeFleur told reporters via Brenna White of NFL.com. “I really do, and I think a lot of it is a credit to Tom, and just, he knows how to train these guys. He knows how to drill them and he’s very, very consistent. He doesn’t sugarcoat anything. He just is matter of fact and I think there’s no doubt.”

There’s no doubt Clements, whose time in Green Bay dates back to Brett Favre, returned to the Packers last year because of Rodgers.

“Aaron would praise him and give him so much credit in his own development,” LeFleur said. “I think anytime you got a player like that, especially of that talent and how much you respect a guy like Aaron, you always listen to that.”

So Clements returned because of Rodgers. And he’s staying to get Love off on the right foot.

“I asked Jordan after the season how he felt about him and he said he loved Tom, and thought he did a hell of a job helping him, you know, develop over the course of the year,” LaFleur said. “For me, it was a no-brainer. It was just whether or not Tom wanted to come back, so I’m happy he wanted to be here, and you know, we’re lucky to have him.

“He does a great job, too, not only with the quarterbacks but just helping out with our offense and bringing suggestions and great ideas. You know, it’s been a fun process getting to know him and just the standards that he holds, that room, too, and he does a hell of a job.”

And so it could be that a man the Packers brought back to placate Rodgers will be the man to help make the Packers look smart for turning the page when they did.

Comment

• Agree...

Jets think their 6-foot-8 tight end picked in the seventh round has “freakish ability”

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 7, 2023, 11:16 AM EDT

Getty Images

Jets seventh-round draft pick Zack Kuntz didn’t have the easiest path to the NFL, failing to get much playing time at Penn State, transferring to Old Dominion and suffering a knee injury that cut short his final season. But he has undeniable athletic talent.

That starts with his 6-foot-8 frame and includes his impressive athletic profile, which included being the best tight end in the Scouting Combine in the vertical jump (40 inches), the broad jump (10 feet, 8 inches), and three-cone drill (6.87 seconds). Jets coach Robert Saleh says a talent like that in the seventh round just doesn’t come along very often.

“There’s an old saying, ‘Always take the freak that loves ball.’ And if you do, usually they pan out,” Saleh said, via the New York Post. “So, he’s got freakish ability and he’s got a love for football, so now we just got to work with him.”

Jets General Manager Joe Douglas used the F-word (freak) for Kuntz as well.

“He tested through the roof,” Douglas said, “so we were sitting there at the top of the seventh round and just going through some of the guys who just had that freak factor to him and he was right there at the top — the size, the speed, the length, the jump, just everything and another guy who may have been drafted a little sooner if not for the injury this year.”

The Jets look forward to developing that freakish talent.

Comment

• Luke Musgrave should get a chance to be the No. 1 tight end in Green Bay

Posted by Mike Florio on May 6, 2023, 10:26 PM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

After years of not giving quarterback Aaron Rodgers significant support via pass catchers taken in the draft, three of Green Bay’s top four picks in 2023 play tight end or receiver.

The highest of the three that were picked — second-round tight end Luke Musgrave (pictured on the right) — has a chance to be the starter, right away.

As noted by Matt Schneidman of TheAthletic.com, the departure of Robert Tonyan and (presumably) Marcedes Lewis creates a hole at the top of the depth chart, and Musgrave “should get a chance right away to be the No. 1 tight end.”

Musgrave’s biggest competition ultimately could come from third-round tight end Tucker Kraft (pictured on the left).

Musgrave missed most of last season with a knee injury. That red flag coupled with a glut of great tight ends likely helped knock him down to No. 42.

The Packers also added three receivers in the draft to help first-year starter Jordan Love, led by second-rounder Jayden Reed.

That gives Green Bay plenty of young pass catchers, but not much of an established presence. Coach Matt LaFleur has said they’d like to add “some veteran leadership” to the group.

Comment

• Will McClay: Cowboys view adding Deuce Vaughan as a “huge deal”

Posted by Mike Florio on May 6, 2023, 5:00 PM EDT

Getty Images

The headline in the Dallas drafting of sixth-round running back Deuce Vaughn was that his father, Chris, works as the team’s assistant director of college scouting. The story might be that the Cowboys have found themselves a player who can really contribute.

Appearing earlier this week on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas, Cowboys V.P. of player personnel Will McClay said that Vaughn can become a three-down back for the ‘Boys.

“The number one thing is, you know, getting a hell of a football player and in a safe game, guys that can win in space and create their own space and do explosive things, Deuce has done that ever since he’s been in high school, and probably before that,” McClay said. “So getting him and adding him as a weapon was a huge deal.”

That’s a potentially significant development for Dallas. With Tony Pollard in a franchise-tag season that carries with it a 20-percent raise over his eight-figure salary in 2024 and with Ezekiel Elliott gone and likely not coming back, Vaughn has a chance to contribute.

Yes, he’s only five feet, five inches. But so what? For running backs, the low center of gravity becomes a bonus.

The challenge will be durability, since he’s only 179 pounds. He needs to avoid taking big hits. If he takes care of his body and if the Cowboys avoid pounding him into the middle of the line, he could be a nice piece of the puzzle in Dallas.

Comment

Working...
                                X