NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

Why? By all accounts I hear the team loves what he brought to the table last season, and is only going to get better.
    Im not sure he actually has a role...and if they draft another DL at 6 or 18 then he just goes further down the depth chart.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post

Im not sure he actually has a role...and if they draft another DL at 6 or 18 then he just goes further down the depth chart.
      He has as much of a role as anyone on the line. Dude was played in roughly half of the snaps in games he eligible to play in all up and down the line. The team likes him, they like what he brings to table, and they'll find a place for him. I think you're worrying about something that isn't a problem.

Comment

• This side of Hutchinson, he might have the most defined role on the DL. On running downs he is the closed end and on passing downs they like to move him inside with the SAM next to him in a 5 man line. You saw that a lot when he started playing.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

That 2022 draft that Holmes had could quite possibly be looked back as one of the most incredible drafts in Detroit sports history short of the Red Wings haul in 1989.
          You just had to write this... jinx!
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Report: College football to keep clocks running after first downs in 2023

Posted by Myles Simmons on April 21, 2023, 1:53 PM EDT

Getty Images

As NFL talent evaluators put the finishing touches on draft boards in preparation for next week, there’s a significant wrinkle coming for their process next year.

According to multiple reports, the NCAA is set to approve a rules change on Friday that will keep the clock running in college football after first downs.

There are exceptions, as the clock will still stop for first downs in the last two minutes of each half. And the rule will not apply to Division III football, which could still implement the change at a later date.

It’s a significant shift that is expected to reduce the average number of plays run per game by seven. The clock has stopped after first downs in college football since 1968.

The Playing Rules Oversight Panel will make the final approval after the NCAA Football Rules Committee recommended the change last month.

Multiple reports also indicate that teams will no longer be able to call consecutive timeouts and a foul at the end of the first or third quarter will carry over to the next period — which means there won’t be an untimed down.

While college games should speed up with fewer plays to be run, that also means there will be a little less data available for all those who scout college players.
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Lion View Post
              Lol, Darius Slay will be reunited with Fatty Matty Patty.

Still a better love story than Twilight.
              How is this guy still in the league? I can’t believe the Eagles hired him.
              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

How is this guy still in the league? I can’t believe the Eagles hired him.
                Dunno but if it creates dissention on the Eagles, it's all good.

Comment

• Robbie Gould “being a little picky” about next team

Posted by Josh Alper on April 21, 2023, 8:56 AM EDT

Getty Images

Veteran kicker Robbie Gould told the 49ers in March that he would be testing free agency with the intention of moving on to another team for his 19th NFL season.

Gould has yet to sign with a team, but it doesn’t sound like it is because of a lack of interest. Gould told NFL Media that he is prioritizing being close to his Chicago home and a chance to win as he considers his next step.

“Obviously I want to play closer to home, that’s one of the big things that’s meant a lot to me, and we’re filtering through those opportunities, and waiting for the right time to be able to do that,” Gould said. “I’d love to win if possible, so I’m kind of being a little picky with that, but at 40 years old and playing 18 years in the league, I think I’ve earned the ability to do that.”

Gould said a return to the Bears — he spent his first 11 NFL seasons with the team — is something he’d agree to in a “heartbeat,” but the team has Cairo Santos under contract and Gould’s continued availability suggests the team has not explored a reunion.

Comment

• Cardinals unveil new uniforms

Posted by Mike Florio on April 21, 2023, 6:40 AM EDT

@AZCardinals

The Arizona Cardinals have new uniforms.

The good news is that they’ve finally dumped the outdated look with the panels down each side of the jersey and the black piping. The bad news is that the new uniforms are the last example of the gradual Nikefication of the NFL.

Yes, get off my lawn. Especially with those uniforms that claim to respect tradition but don’t.

These new uniforms look like they belong on a college team. Maybe the University of Arizona, since the home jersey has the word written on it in large letters. (As if the people attending the home games don’t know they’re in Arizona.)

One of the reasons teams like the Cowboys, Raiders, Packers, Steelers, and Chiefs are among the most popular in the league is that they have a good look, and they have stuck with it over the years. The most significant thing any of those teams has ever done with their primary uniforms happened in the mid-’90s, when the Steelers changed the shape of their numbers from the traditional block construction to something rounded, along with the placement of a Steelers logo on the upper left of the jersey, the same side where the team’s helmet has no decal.

The Bears, despite their chronic struggles, are an iconic franchise because they have an iconic look. The Colts have that stubbornly classic consistency, too.

Too many of the other teams feel compelled to chase relevance by changing their look, abandoning strong ties to the past in search of something that looks modern or slick or whatever. The Dolphins, the Eagles, the Vikings, the Rams, and the Buccaneers are among the teams that had great-looking uniforms before they felt compelled to roll out new colors and/or logos and/or jerseys and/or pants.

For the Cardinals, it’s not as glaring because their prior uniforms just weren’t good. But there’s nothing wrong with rewinding the clock to when they were. The Cardinals uniforms of days gone by were perfectly fine. It would be great to see one of these teams that allowed Nike to update and streamline and monetize and whatever else Nike has been trying to get all of them to do to say, “Sorry, but we’re going back to what we used to wear as our primary uniforms.”

The Cardinals had a chance to do that. Instead, like an increasing number of teams, their alternate uniforms seem better than their base uniforms. For any team experiencing that dynamic, it’s not as good of a thing as you think it is.

Comment

• George, Brad Holmes is on line 1 (j/k)...

George Paton: We don’t anticipate doing anything with Jerry Jeudy

Posted by Myles Simmons on April 20, 2023, 3:46 PM EDT

Getty Images

Receiver Jerry Jeudy has been the subject of trade talks throughout the offseason.

But Broncos head coach Sean Payton was pretty clear at the annual league meeting last month when he said that Jeudy — as well as receiver Courtland Sutton — would not be traded.

General Manager George Paton was again asked about Jeudy during the Broncos’ pre-draft press conference, but the question was centered on whether or not the club would exercise the receiver’s fifth-year option. Paton did not directly address that aspect of Jeudy’s future, but did reiterate the team plans to keep Jeudy around.

“I think I spoke at the owner’s meetings, we’re high — really high — on Jerry,” Paton said. “We don’t anticipate doing anything with Jerry. Jerry finished strong, the last five games over 500 yards. He was one of the top receivers in the league. We like Jerry. He’s going to be here.”

The 15th overall pick of the 2020 draft, Jeudy had his best season last year when he caught 67 passes or 972 yards with six touchdowns. That came after a 2021 season where Jeudy was sidelined for nearly half the season due to injury and he caught 38 passes for 467 yards with no TDs.

If the Broncos were to exercise Jeudy’s option for 2024, they would owe him a projected $13 million guaranteed.

Comment

• Ron Rivera on Chase Young option: We’ll wait until May 2

Posted by Josh Alper on April 20, 2023, 3:34 PM EDT

Getty Images

NFL teams have until May 2 to exercise their fifth-year options for 2020 first-round picks and the Commanders don’t plan on jumping the gun.

Defensive end Chase Young was the second overall pick in that year’s draft and he was named the defensive rookie of the year, but he tore his ACL in 2021 and missed almost all of last season as he recovered. That’s created some doubt about their plans for Young’s contract and head coach Ron Rivera said at a Thursday press conference that the team plans to use all the time they have available as they make a decision.

“We’ll wait until May 2,” Rivera said.

A follow-up asked if that’s when they’ll announce a decision or when they’ll actually make it and Rivera again said that the team has until May 2.

Rivera said earlier this year that Young’s health and a potential change in ownership would impact the decision. Young reported to the offseason program, so the team should be getting some sense of his physical condition. A sale is imminent, but has not been completed yet and Rivera said he has not spoken to anyone from the group put together by Josh Harris at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                          George, Brad Holmes is on line 1 (j/k)

What would for give up for him? The only problem is that he’d be a FA the same time St Brown would be. So if he blew up (which is what you’d want) we prob couldn’t afford both.

Talent and upside, I’d totally do it but I’d guess we couldn’t resign him. That’s where the comp picks would play out
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

What would for give up for him? The only problem is that he’d be a FA the same time St Brown would be. So if he blew up (which is what you’d want) we prob couldn’t afford both.

Talent and upside, I’d totally do it but I’d guess we couldn’t resign him. That’s where the comp picks would play out
                            5th rd pick

Comment

• Teams are making sure players know what’s prohibited by gambling policy

Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2023, 10:21 AM EDT

Getty Images

It’s alarming, to say that least, that multiple players learned nothing from the one-year suspension imposed during the 2021 season on receiver Calvin Ridley. Three players were suspended for at least a year on Friday for betting on NFL games, and two others were suspended six games for betting on non-NFL games from NFL facilities.

The situation is causing other teams to take a closer look at what they’re doing, or not doing, in order to ensure that players understand what they can and can’t do. Obviously, something happened in Detroit to cause four guys to committed unforced errors regarding the gambling policy.

Did they not know the rules? Did they think they’d get away with violations? Did the Lions fail to impress on them that they will get caught and will be suspended, if they break the rules?

Per multiple sources, it’s causing other teams to revisit their in-house procedures, and to reiterate the rules. Although great pains are taken every year, in the form of a standalone seminar, to educate the players on the gambling policy and its mandates and prohibitions, the latest suspensions show that more work can be done to avoid a situation in which players are not being available to play due to violations of the bright-line rules of the gambling policy.

The problem is that the widespread availability of legalized gambling is creating habits that are hard to change. It’s starting in high school for plenty of kids who: (1) like sports; (2) have a little money; and (3) can quickly and easily place bets on games.

Comment

• I wonder if there is a difference in the NFL eyes between sports betting and doing slots/table betting on an app.

2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Working...
                                X