• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a white man sharing his weal...

Bo Jackson donated $170,000 to pay for funerals of Uvalde victims

Posted by Charean Williams on July 21, 2022, 9:57 PM EDT

Getty Images

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott announced shortly after the Uvalde school massacre in May that an anonymous donor was paying for the funerals of the 19 children and two teachers. Bo Jackson was the man behind the money, it was revealed this week, flying to Uvalde with a friend to present a check for $170,000 to Abbott.

“We didn’t want media,” Jackson told the Associated Press. “No one knew we were there.”

Jackson, who played four seasons for the Raiders, had no personal connection to the city but has driven through Uvalde many times on his way to visit a friend’s ranch. He said he was just moved to give after the loss of so many children.

“I don’t know if it’s because I’m getting old,” said Jackson, a father of three and a grandfather as he nears 60. “It’s just not right for parents to bury their kids. It’s just not right.

“I know every family there probably works their butts off just to do what they do. . . . The last thing they needed was to shell out thousands of dollars for something that never should have happened.”

Other fundraising efforts have since raised millions to assists the families of victims, and local funeral homes said they wouldn’t charge families for services. Jackson’s donation was directed to OneStar, a nonprofit created to further volunteerism and community service in Texas, including Uvalde relief efforts.

“I don’t want to turn this into anything [but] what it is. I was just trying [with the donation] to put a little sunshine in someone’s cloud, a very dark cloud,” Jackson said.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• It takes a lot to replace the man Baker Mayfield is....

Browns signing Josh Rosen

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 21, 2022, 6:04 PM EDT

Getty Images

Josh Rosen is getting yet another chance in the NFL.

Rosen is signing with the Browns, according to multiple reports.

The Cardinals selected Rosen with the 10th overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft, but they got rid of him after an ugly rookie season. He was traded to the Dolphins, who also got rid of him after one season, and after that he spent time with the Buccaneers, 49ers and Falcons. The Browns are his sixth NFL team.

Rosen is the fourth quarterback on the Browns’ roster, following Deshaun Watson, Jacoby Brissett and Josh Dobbs. If Watson is suspended for violating the NFL’s personal-conduct policy, Rosen will have a chance at making the roster, but given his history in his previous five stops, the Browns are surely hoping there’s no scenario in which Rosen actually takes the field in a game.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Winning the SB didn't help him here. MS has almost always been around 85...

Madden makes Tom Brady its top-rated quarterback

Posted by Mike Florio on July 22, 2022, 1:15 PM EDT

Getty Images

Most people who craft lists of the best quarterbacks in the NFL would not put 44-year-old Tom Brady at the top of the heap. The folks at Madden did.

The quarterback ratings are out, and Brady has the highest number of all quarterbacks with a 97.

Next is 2020 and 2021 MVP Aaron Rodgers. The Packers quarterback is a 96. Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes comes in third, with a 95.

Bills quarterback Josh Allen, this year’s preseason MVP favorite, is fourth with a 92. Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow lands at No. 5, with a 90. Next comes Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott at 89, Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert at 88, Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson at 87, Broncos quarterback Russell Wilson at 87, and Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford at 85.

The second ten has Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson (84), Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray (84), Raiders quarterback Derek Carr (83), Titans quarterback Ryan Tannehill (83), Colts quarterback Matt Ryan (81), Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins (80), Patriots quarterback Mac Jones (78), Panthers quarterback Baker Mayfield (77), 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo (77), and Saints quarterback Deshaun Watson (76).

Sorry, TuAnon. Dolphins quarterbacks Tua Tagovailoa and Teddy Bridgewater are tied for No. 22, with 75s.

Here’s the link for the full list.

Brady, who retired for 40 days earlier this year, should not be No. 1. Reasonable minds may differ on who No. 1 should be, but it should not be Brady.

My own loose, seat of the pants ratings would go like this: (1) Allen 99; (2) Mahomes 98; (3) Rodgers 97; (4) Burrow 96; (5) Brady 95; (6) Herbert 95; (7) Wilson 93; (8) Jackson 92; (9) Stafford 91; and (10) Watson 91.

Comment

• Nahhhh Staff was 77, 78 with the Lions. I used to play Madden all the time. He got bumped immediately in LA. I don’t rate Goff but he’s a scandalously low 72. Lions ratings are a joke.

Comment

• Chris Harris says five teams have shown interest in signing him

Posted by Charean Williams on July 22, 2022, 3:38 PM EDT

Getty Images

Cornerback Chris Harris Jr. remains a free agent with all NFL training camps set to open next week. The 11-year veteran hopes to have a new home no later than mid-August.

He has heard from “about five teams.”

“Man, we’re definitely heating up,” Harris said on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “I’m just taking my time and waiting to see what’s going to be the best fit for me. I’ve still got a little time, and I’m just waiting to make sure I pick the right team. Definitely looking for a contender.”

Harris played nine seasons for the Broncos after they signed him as an undrafted free agent, and then spent two seasons with the Chargers. He has interest from inside the AFC West and from some NFC teams, too, he said.

Harris will consider the quarterback, how he fits in the scheme and what type of defense they run, he said. He calls himself a “position-less player” who can play corner, nickel or safety.

“I’m one of those guys that I’m just a DB. I can play all over the field,” Harris said. “Pretty much whatever a team needs. I’m just making sure I’m always ready and stay ready. Whatever role, I feel like I can go in there and compete and have a chance to definitely make some plays for a team.”

He has made four Pro Bowls and was All-Pro in 2016.

Harris has 141 starts, including 11 last season for the Chargers when he totaled 37 tackles, one interception and six pass breakups.

Comment

• Bengals officially unveil white helmets

Posted by Josh Alper on July 22, 2022, 2:37 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Bengals announced recently that they would be unveiling a white helmet to use as an alternate to their usual orange and black ones and they offered a look at the helmets on Friday.

Photos on the team’s website show the white helmet with black stripes and a black facemask. A Bengals logo provides the only jolt of orange at the center of the forehead.

The team has not announced when they will be wearing the alternate helmets. NFL rules changed this year to allow teams to wear a second helmet in conjunction with alternate, throwback or Color Rush uniforms.

A number of other teams have announced their own plans to use second helmets. Many of those teams have opted for new designs that feature black as the dominant color, but the Bengals have gone the other way for their alternate helmets.

Comment

• The Cincinnati Zoo had a famous Siberian Tiger exhibit back when I visited it 30 years ago. Thos helmets pay homage to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

You know why.

Did he tell that to his black neighbor too?

What an
                  Don't look in the UM section. One poster is calling Stacy Abrams Aunt Jemima and others are defending him and his "joke"
                  I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Kyler Murray's contract extension is an example of leverage. In the NFL, if you have leverage you have to use it. The next play might be your last. This is the price of non guaranteed contracts.

The last decade there has been way too much talk about rookie contract quarterbacks, the window is so short that it is foolish to think it is a viable strategy. If you have designs on a Super Bowl the sound strategy should always be building a solid team that can handle paying the top rate for a quarterback. They all get paid.

Comment

• Also, don't believe owners who say "they don't have the cap space" to sign players. They absolutely could (teams do it all the time), they just don't want to.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
                        Nahhhh Staff was 77, 78 with the Lions. I used to play Madden all the time. He got bumped immediately in LA. I don’t rate Goff but he’s a scandalously low 72. Lions ratings are a joke.
                        Stafford peaked at a 91 in the Madden 13 game. Been mid 80s ever since except for 79 in 21 and 83 in 22. To be fair in the 21 game they essentially did ratings squish so there are far fewer highly rated players and the stars feel more like stars. High 70s became quality starters, 80s are stars and 90s are your elites. The 79 for Stafford though was still a bit low. Goff's rating is low but not by as much as what a 72 used to be. He should probably be around a 76 or 77 imo.

Taylor Decker is a Lion that routinely gets underrated. I think this year is the first time he's ever received an 80 rating. Even the Lions good players tend to get lower ratings to drop the team overall when they suck.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                          Also, don't believe owners who say "they don't have the cap space" to sign players. They absolutely could (teams do it all the time), they just don't want to.
                          I think there are certain times where a team actually can't sign someone in free agency but it's a very small group. The Lions in 2014 had no real avenue to re-sign Suh. Anytime the NFL cap goes down, there is a small window where it squeezes a few teams. Green Bay is somewhat tapped out to the point where it's unclear how they were going to keep Adams if he took their offer. But those case are .05 percent.

Comment

• Counterpoint..... Fuck the packers.
                            Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Well Murray is getting a 5 year extension two years early, there's barely any cap increase until 2024 where it skyrockets. It's not the same as extending an expiring contract.

Comment

• Originally posted by JGSpartan View Post
                                Well Murray is getting a 5 year extension two years early, there's barely any cap increase until 2024 where it skyrockets. It's not the same as extending an expiring contract.
                                That’s what I’m saying. The salary cap isnt some flexible luxury tax figure like the NBA. The NFL has a hard line. Most teams restructure and back load contracts to be sneaky but at some point the money runs out.

I get why Murray wants the contract sooner as he’s an athletic Smurf but I’m surprised at the 180 this took. It looked like he was on his way out of town.
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X