No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone see the video of that Eagles TE Goedert getting knocked out in that bar fight? It was a sucker punch but he got trucked and was out cold

F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

You could say the same about college football, yet they are already shutting down entire programs and it's looking increasingly like that's not going to happen, either.

The NFL assuredly WANTS to, and they are going to do everything in their power. But there's simply going to be too much pressure to shut it down, especially if the pandemic starts spiking again.
      Comparing apples and oranges.

Colleges can decide for themselves individually and some have chosen not to take the risk (notably those whose athletic programs are not cash cows).

NFL dictates to the teams. If the NFL decides they are playing, teams must participate. Not so in College.
      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
        Did anyone see the video of that Eagles TE Goedert getting knocked out in that bar fight? It was a sucker punch but he got trucked and was out cold
        I did. Couldn't figure out what was going on though because I thought another guy got clocked also then a scuffle was taking place off camera.
        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

Dak Prescott officially signs franchise tender

Posted by Mike Florio on June 22, 2020, 4:10 PM EDT

Getty Images

It’s official. Officially.

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott has signed his exclusive franchise tender, according to David Helman of the team’s official website. He will make $31.4 million in 2020, fully guaranteed.

The Cowboys and Prescott have until July 15 to convert the one-year contract to a long-term deal. According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL, the two sides “aren’t close.”

Prescott is now under contract, which means he’ll be obligated to report for training camp. Given the position he plays and given that the team has a new head coach, Prescott knows that he need to be there for all of the preseason preparations.

Ultimately, the question becomes whether the Cowboys will offer Prescott a long-term contract considered to be enough to get Prescott to trade in the $31.4 million he’s due to make this year and, if tagged again, $37.68 million in 2021 and, potentially, free agency in 2022. Only Prescott knows what he’ll take to surrender his rights under a year-to-year approach, but he bet on himself in 2019 when he earned only $2 million. It will be much easier to bet on himself in 2020, when he’s already hit the jackpot.
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

JAMAL ADAMSDB, NEW YORK JETS

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport believes the Jets will "stand pat and let this play out" in regards to Jamal Adams' trade demands.

Adams is one of the best safeties in the NFL and he has a rare ability as a blitzing pass rusher, but he's asking for a lot given that he has two more years left on his rookie contract assuming the Jets pick up their fifth-year team option. Most long-term extensions aren't ironed out this early and the Jets don't have any reason to accept a below market trade offer either. The only leverage Adams holds in negotiations is through media relations. Even though Adams has listed eight teams he'd play for (TB, BAL, DAL, HOU, KC, PHI, SF, SEA), it's likely that Adams remains a Jet in 2020. ESPN's Jane Slater notes the Cowboys "haven’t been overly interested in giving up much." Dallas is Adams' hometown and preferred landing spot.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
            Jun 22, 2020, 1:26 PM
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

MAX TUERKG, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

Former Chargers and Cardinals C Max Tuerk passed away at the age of 26.

It's terrible and unexpected news, especially on Father's Day. The cause of his death has yet to be released. Tuerk was a standout offensive lineman at USC and was the Chargers' No. 66 overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft. Tuerk struggled to find a role in the league after injuries and a four-game PED suspension stacked up. His professional football career ended with the Cardinals in 2018.

SOURCE: USC Athletics on Twitter
              Jun 21, 2020, 4:54 PM

Comment

Most of the teams on his list have jack for cap space. Good luck with that Chuck
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

DEEBO SAMUELWR, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Deebo Samuel suffered a broken left foot during a workout with teammates Tuesday and will be sidelined 3-4 months.

Dr. Robert Anderson is performing surgery Thursday to repair the dreaded Jones fracture. Jones fractures can cause all sorts of complications moving forward, but hopefully Samuel's recovery goes off without a hitch. Still, the 12-16 weeks timetable likely means a trip to the reserve/PUP list to start the season for Samuel. That would cost him at least the first six weeks of the season should the 2020 schedule go on as planned. Samuel had become the 49ers' No. 1 receiver as a rookie. His absence leaves first-round rookie Brandon Aiyuk, Kendrick Bourne, 2019 third-rounder Jalen Hurd, doghoused Dante Pettis, Richie James, and Trent Taylor as the Niners' top wideouts. Perhaps they'll make a move for someone. Samuel's run-after-catch skills will be sorely missed.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
                  Jun 18, 2020, 3:01 PM

Comment

Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                    Most of the teams on his list have jack for cap space. Good luck with that Chuck
                    I know the Lions have a lot of cap space right now, but, it may be the smart play to just sign Golladay and push the remainder to next year. The cap is going to drop due to the Pandemic and it's going to destroy teams like the Chiefs and Vikings.

Comment

ROGER GOODELLC, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the NFL is looking into adding four more players to the practice squad.

The threat of multiple players testing positive for the coronavirus during the season all at once has the NFL nervous. Rightfully so. Adding a handful more spots at the end of the roster should be a no brainer this season, especially because the NFL already went from 10 practice-squaders per team to 12 with the new CBA. Expect more wrinkles like this one to be discussed with the NFL season kicking off in less than 100 days.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
                      Jun 17, 2020, 9:26 PM

Comment

KAREEM JACKSONDB, DENVER BRONCOS

Broncos S Kareem Jackson tested positive for COVID-19.

Jackson joins Von Miller, Ezekiel Elliott, and "several" other NFL players to catch the coronavirus. ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Jackson only has cold-like symptoms right now and is expected to make a full recovery. Jackson's positive test is yet another reminder of how complicated sports will be over the next few months.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
                        Jun 17, 2020, 6:04 PM

Comment

Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the NFL is looking into adding four more players to the practice squad.

The threat of multiple players testing positive for the coronavirus during the season all at once has the NFL nervous. Rightfully so. Adding a handful more spots at the end of the roster should be a no brainer this season, especially because the NFL already went from 10 practice-squaders per team to 12 with the new CBA. Expect more wrinkles like this one to be discussed with the NFL season kicking off in less than 100 days.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
                          Jun 17, 2020, 9:26 PM
                          VICTORY!!!!!
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Speakers in every player’s helmet would eliminate need to huddle

Posted by Charean Williams on June 23, 2020, 3:54 PM EDT

Getty Images

The idea came during a radio interview this week. The question was: Because of COVID-19, do you expect any changes on the field, like more no huddle?

Here’s my thought: Why not equip every helmet for every player with a speaker?

Every player on offense would get the call from the sideline, without the need for the quarterback to relay the play call in a huddle. The same would happen on defense: With every player getting the call from the defensive coordinator.

That would eliminate the need to huddle, where players cannot, by definition, socially distance.

It is not known whether the NFL and NFLPA have considered this, but both sides surely are looking for every possible safety measure they can implement to keep players safe. There are no guarantees, for obvious reasons in a contact sport, that the league will start and finish a 16-game season as planned, but the more health and safety measures they can take to help, the better chance they have.

As it stands now, only one player on offense and one player on defense can wear the speaker helmet on the field at a time. Helmet speaker technology began in 1994, allowing coaches to talk to quarterbacks through a one-way communication device that shuts off with 15 seconds left on the play clock.

In 2008, the NFL allowed a defensive player to wear a speaker helmet so a coach could communicate directly with a player on the defense.

Now, the NFL needs at least to consider taking it a step further this season.

Comment

Losses to cities for NFL games without fans could be staggering

Posted by Mike Florio on June 23, 2020, 12:27 PM EDT

Getty Images

The NFL remains highly optimistic that the 2020 season will be played. The NFL has become less optimistic that fans will be present for the games. That would have a major economic impact on the NFL; the NFLPA has pegged it at $3 billion. It also could have a major economic impact on NFL cities.

While no numbers have been widely circulated yet regarding the loss of 10 regular-season crowds, the mayor of Tuscaloosa, Alabama recently said that his city will lose $2 billion if the Crimson Tide don’t play their home games in 2020.

“It would be economically catastrophic for Tuscaloosa if there is no football season,” Walt Maddox told CBS42.com. “Even a mitigated football season with restricted attendance and number of ball games would have dire economic consequences.”

The school itself would lose $25.1 million per game — a total of $175.7 million for seven home games that would be lost (or played with fewer or no fans) in 2020. The broader loss for Tuscaloosa dwarfs that number. Beyond the fact that these ridiculously large dollars further make the case for college football players getting something more than tuition, books, room, board, and snacks, it suggests that 256 regular-season NFL games played without fans would result in staggering losses for the 30 cities that host NFL teams.

Whatever the financial losses, the public-health realities of the coronavirus likely will prevail. As the season approaches, the NFL seems to be coming to grips with the fact that, given the current state of the pandemic, it will be too difficult and too risky to allow fans to attend the games.

Comment

The Athletic's Daniel Kaplan reports the NFL will allow teams to "set different attendance capacity limits."

“Attendance will be a state-by-state, county-by-county thing,” were the words of Kaplan's source. “It will not be a one size fits all." Meaning, depending on the coronavirus restrictions in place in certain states, some teams could be forced to play before empty stadiums while others are allowed to have fans. That would be a foolish policy, for a variety of reasons. Aside from the public health concerns, it would creative a competitive imbalance. It would also provide incentive for teams to push the envelope, which will be the last thing many different areas need. The NFL has done an excellent job of applying universal COVID standards this offseason and would be well served by doing the same thing for the upcoming regular campaign.

SOURCE: The Athletic
                                Jun 23, 2020, 3:58 PM

Comment

Working...
                                X