NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    I'm sure that's a benefit, but the benefit is overrated in my opinion. Most of the trades where you trade picks for players involves high priced players. If you can trade picks for a ayer in the middle of a rookie contract, more power to you but I don't remember many of those trades.
    It's not just rookie contracts. You still get out of the prorated signing bonus money when you trade for a player. That can get to be very significant savings.

Comment

Watson needs to be far away from the Atlanta clubs.
      Are you sure? HOU has clubs too. That's not his "thing."

His "thing" is getting (paying) someone to give him a "massage" and then he gets aroused and wants to send flags up the flag pole.

It would actually be infinitely better if he just picked up chicks at a bar. At least that isn't weirdo sh!t

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
        Damn, crazy. So much action in the NFL in the last 9 days.
        AFC West is insane. What’s next, Chiefs trade for Christian McCaffrey or something?
        Packers are obviously going to target a WR in the draft. Wonder if it’s worth it for the Lions to trade up to #21 if they love a WR…

I was wrong about Watson to Carolina. Seems like this is Watson picking his next team.

Draft wise it's a wash, or maybe even slightly better. The Mighty Raiders were going to target a WR anyway. Just look at the 1000s of mock drafts out there and you'll see 90% will have the Raiders picking a WR.

Most also had GB picking a WR. Usually Dotson. IDK if they'll double up there or not. I'm sure Erin got some assurances. Or we'd be hearing a demand for a trade from him. AGAIN.

So that is a wash or better on the WR front. BUT, let's see what they use their pick on now.

I think this will hurt them in 2022 because Rodgers and Adams had great chemistry. They both knew where the ball needed to be and when on every play. Even when they would switch it up on the fly it was like only those two knew the altered pattern.

That's one of the reasons Rodgers has been so successful in GB. Continuity. Now, a huge part of that has been stripped away. Can't wait for a rookie to cut the wrong way and Erin's face when it goes for a pick 6.

The bad, they have enough draft capitol to start to retool while still trying to win now. So going forward we will have to draft better then them. They have the same complement of picks we have (or more). We are already way behind so we need to make the most of this. GB usually goes with quantity. i.e. if they need WRs they pick 3-4 of them in the hope 66% will hit.

Lastly, as the Mighty Raiders are my second (far second) team I just wish we could have did this without giving up the second. Seems like a bit much. There's a number of other needs that team has outside of WR.

But Carr and Adams did well in collegetogether and they've stayed in contact over the years. Will it be enough in the tough AFCW (My goodness I sound like Gonz)? IDK

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

If Adams puts up two All Pro seasons, what are the chances they get 1 of those type seasons with the picks they traded away? The biggest inefficiency in the NFL that can be exploited is trading draft picks for established pros.
          It's more so the GUY making the selections. If you got a Quinn type guy, you could have a top 3 pick and he still can't pick the right guy. You'd be better off selling the picks and just trading for your team. ALSO, I think Quinn was a league scout not a draft scout. There's a bit of a difference.

Then you have guys like Holmes who has had to make the best out of less. That latter type is a guy you want to arm with as many picks as you can because he knows players. Not the bs crap that fans bandy about like playing hard, and body language, and doing drills in shorts. No. The type of guy that pretty much has the vast majority of work done by January. He knows the players and their stories He's been watching the prospect(s) for years and wouldn't give or accept a one year eval. A great example is Penei. He didn't even play his last year in college. The ones he will have to decide from he's seen in person, ACTUALLY PLAYING FOOTBALL for years.

So when you have a guy like Hutch. Where was he prior to this year and what journey did he take to get here? Like KT. Why was he such a beast his first 2 years and then this last year his sacks dwindled and his "body language" wasn't the same? Is it something cultural? Did he have something going on personally? Did his injury effect his play? The background tells you those answers. So, no lazy 1 year thinking.

He's not just at the combine or a pro-day that the guy has been training for, for weeks.
          Last edited by Futureshock; March 18, 2022, 08:52 AM.

Comment

• Trade for Davante Adams means Raiders are all in with Derek Carr

Posted by Mike Florio on March 18, 2022, 9:14 AM EDT

Getty Images

By giving up a first- and second-round pick and a mammoth contract for receiver Davante Adams, the Raiders are making it clear that another member of the team will soon be making a lot more money, too.

By acquiring Adams, the Raiders are sending a strong signal that they will be extending the contract of quarterback Derek Carr.

Indeed, the Raiders didn’t reunite the Fresno State teammates with the goal of promptly separating them. Although coach Josh McDaniels apparently was smitten with Baker Mayfield during the pre-draft process four years ago, Carr is clearly the better player. McDaniels and G.M. Dave Ziegler clearly have done enough work to come to the conclusion that Carr should indeed be sticking around.

The next question becomes how much will Carr get in his next contract? Once the highest-paid player in NFL history (for a few weeks or so), Carr is languishing at $25 million per year. Will he get $40 million annually? Or will it be closer to $50 million?

Whatever it is, the Raiders likely have a pretty good idea as to what it will be, or they wouldn’t have gone all in for Davante Adams.

Share this:

Comment

• Report: Raiders pushing to sign Stephon Gilmore

Posted by Josh Alper on March 18, 2022, 8:32 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Raiders made headlines on Thursday with a trade for wide receiver Davante Adams and they reportedly aren’t done hunting for major additions to their roster.

Vincent Bonsignore of the Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that the team is making a strong push to sign cornerback Stephon Gilmore. Gilmore finished last season with the Panthers after being traded to Carolina by the Patriots.

Gilmore would be the second big defensive signing of free agency in Las Vegas. The team landed pass rusher Chandler Jones early in the process.

It would also join the Jones move and the Adams trade as the latest bombshell development in the AFC West this offseason. The Broncos made one by trading for Russell Wilson and the Chargers have added the likes of Khalil Mack and J.C. Jackson in what’s turned into a divisional arms race since the end of the 2021 season.

Comment

• Aaron Rodgers “was aware” of the Davante Adams developments “in recent days”

Posted by Mike Florio on March 18, 2022, 6:34 AM EDT

Getty Images

Aaron Rodgers was quick to take to Twitter to quibble with details regarding his return to the Packers. He has been silent, so far, regarding the departure of his most important teammate, receiver Davante Adams.

In the wake of the trade, Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com reported that Rodgers “was aware of the developments with Adams as they unfolded in recent days.”

It would be very interesting to know whether Rodgers knew about any of this before putting pen to paper on Monday for his new contract, and whether and to what extent Aaron Rodgers got involved in trying to keep Adams in Green Bay.

If Rodgers had known Adams would be leaving, would that have changed the quarterback’s mind? If Rodgers personally appealed to Adams to stay, why did Adams decline to stick around?

Adams’s agents went on record to say that the Packers offered more money than the Raiders offered Adams, but that it was the player’s lifelong dream to play for the Raiders. They did not comment on whether the Raiders’ offer includes fully guaranteed money beyond the first year of the deal (it likely did) or whether the Packers’ offer didn’t include fully guaranteed money beyond the first year of the deal (it likely didn’t). They also did not comment on whether Adams would have accepted the offer from the Packers if it had come weeks or months earlier.

Also, if it truly were Adams’s lifelong dream to play for the Raiders, why did Adams sign a new contract four years ago before the Packers had to decide whether to use the franchise tag on him? If they hadn’t tagged Adams in early 2018, he could have signed with the Raiders then. If they had, he could have tried to force his way out four years ago, the same way he did now. (Before you scoff and say it wouldn’t have worked then, it worked now.)

There’s much more to this one than has surfaced. Tom Brady has successfully recruited and persuaded several key players to stay in Tampa. Aaron Rodgers either didn’t try or he spectacularly failed to keep the best player not named Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay.

Would Adams leaving have been enough to make Rodgers want out, too? Did Rodgers incorrectly presume that, if he returns, Adams would stay?

I raise these questions for a few simple reasons. There’s a chance that Adams preferred reuniting with college teammate Derek Carr than staying with his eight-year NFL teammate. There’s a chance that Rodgers had no idea that Adams would ever feel that way. And so there’s a chance that, in the aftermath of Thursday’s news, Rodgers is dealing with one of the biggest and most unexpected slaps in the face that he ever has endured.

Comment

• Aw man, we're in trouble now

Byron Pringle headed to Chicago

Posted by Charean Williams on March 17, 2022, 9:02 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Bears lost free agent receiver Allen Robinson to the Rams on Thursday. They since have agreed to terms with two receivers as they seek to replace him.

Earlier, former Packers receiver Equanimeous St. Brown agreed to terms with the Bears. Now, Byron Pringle is joining him in Chicago.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports Pringle will sign a one-year, $6 million deal that includes $4 million guaranteed.

General Manager Ryan Poles is familiar with Pringle from their time together with the Chiefs.

Pringle caught 42 passes for 568 yards and five touchdowns in 17 games last season.

Darnell Mooney and Dazz Newsome are the only other receivers on the Bears’ roster who caught a pass last season. So Poles still has work to do at the position.

Comment

• Falcons, Matt Ryan agree to delay $7.5 million roster bonus until Tuesday

Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2022, 8:51 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Falcons have bought some time, in order to give Deshaun Watson more time to make a decision.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that “the Falcons now have pushed back the $7.5 million roster bonus due Friday” to quarterback Matt Ryan.

It’s a strange way to word the development, given that Ryan had to agree to it. That’s an important point, one that shows Ryan is being cooperative with a team that is actively trying to move on from him.

The roster bonus is now due Tuesday. This means that he needs to be moved off the roster by 4:00 p.m. ET on Monday in order to avoid the payment.

The Falcons and Ryan reportedly had agreed on a restructured contract last Friday. However, the deal never went through. That makes the cap charge for trading Ryan before June 1 roughly $15 million lower than it would have been, if the deal had been restructured.

The willingness of Ryan to play ball with the Falcons suggests that the Falcons are fine with keeping Ryan and that Ryan is fine with staying, if the Falcons don’t get Watson. Or maybe Ryan secured a wink-nod promise from the Falcons that, if they don’t get Watson, they’ll trade Ryan anyway.

Ryan had never shown any inclination to leave the Falcons. With the Falcons suddenly willing to move on from him, maybe he has changed his mind. Maybe he’d like to play for, say, the Colts. Or maybe there’s some other team with which he’d like to end his career.

Regardless, the question for now is whether Watson will pick the Falcons — and whether the Falcons will trade Ryan. It makes for a very interesting weekend.

Comment

• Eagles releasing Fletcher Cox, may bring him back

Posted by Josh Alper on March 17, 2022, 4:27 PM EDT

Getty Images

There was trade chatter around defensive tackle Fletcher Cox during and after the 2021 season, but his departure from the Eagles roster came in different fashion.

Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports that the Eagles are releasing Cox on Thursday. The move is being designated as a post-June 1 cut in order to provide the Eagles with some cap savings, but it was made now to avoid guaranteeing future money in Cox’s contract.

Garafolo adds that the Eagles and Cox have talked about him remaining with the team under a revised contract. Other teams will now have the chance to pitch Cox on joining them, however, and the veteran wasn’t always thrilled with his role in the defense last season.

Cox was a first-round pick in 2012 and he’s been named to one All-Pro team and six Pro Bowls during a run that saw him play a big role in securing the franchise’s first Super Bowl title.

Comment

• ROBERT WOODSWR, LOS ANGELES RAMS
                        ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Robert Woods has become a "prime trade candidate" following the Rams' addition of Allen Robinson.

Schefter reports the Rams have already begun receiving calls. It makes sense. Matthew Stafford didn't seem to gel with Woods, and the Rams now have a ridiculous amount of resources tied up in their receiver corps, while still wanting to re-sign Odell Beckham. Recovering from a torn ACL, Woods' contract is guaranteed for injury, so he is not a candidate to be released. A trade would be the way to go if the Rams are ready to move on. Schefter reports Woods is expected to be healthy for training camp.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
                        Mar 17, 2022, 11:47 PM

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

It's more so the GUY making the selections. If you got a Quinn type guy, you could have a top 3 pick and he still can't pick the right guy. You'd be better off selling the picks and just trading for your team. ALSO, I think Quinn was a league scout not a draft scout. There's a bit of a difference.

Then you have guys like Holmes who has had to make the best out of less. That latter type is a guy you want to arm with as many picks as you can because he knows players. Not the bs crap that fans bandy about like playing hard, and body language, and doing drills in shorts. No. The type of guy that pretty much has the vast majority of work done by January. He knows the players and their stories He's been watching the prospect(s) for years and wouldn't give or accept a one year eval. A great example is Penei. He didn't even play his last year in college. The ones he will have to decide from he's seen in person, ACTUALLY PLAYING FOOTBALL for years.

So when you have a guy like Hutch. Where was he prior to this year and what journey did he take to get here? Like KT. Why was he such a beast his first 2 years and then this last year his sacks dwindled and his "body language" wasn't the same? Is it something cultural? Did he have something going on personally? Did his injury effect his play? The background tells you those answers. So, no lazy 1 year thinking.

He's not just at the combine or a pro-day that the guy has been training for, for weeks.
                          I think you can have a guy who is bad like Quinn, but over time it's very hard to pinpoint a GM that consistently drafts better than the field. New England has 6 super bowls and their guy has consistently puzzling drafts.. It's a crapshoot. I mean the Raiders had one of the guys who made his name in draft analysis.

Comment

I think you can have a guy who is bad like Quinn, but over time it's very hard to pinpoint a GM that consistently drafts better than the field. New England has 6 super bowls and their guy has consistently puzzling drafts.. It's a crapshoot. I mean the Raiders had one of the guys who made his name in draft analysis.
                            You forgot that we had an abysmal General Manager in Matt Millen from 2001-2008.

He was beyond awful, and I wished that Kevin Colbert, who left Detroit a year earlier (in 2000) to run the Pittsburgh Steelers, had stayed and became the GM instead of Millen. Heck, when Millen foolishly fired the late Ron Hughes in '01 when Millen came into town, Colbert wisely hired Hughes to be the draft consultant, and then college scouting coordinator for Pittsburgh, which helped the Steelers win 2 Super Bowls in 3 appearances while he was with them.

So, until recently with Brad Holmes (and I hope that he's the anti-Millen/Mayhew/Quinn,) the Detroit Lions have been crappy with the person in the General Manager's chair.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                            My friend Ken L

Comment

• I'm not sure where you think I forget any of that shit, I have well over 40,000 thousand posts. My point was more about having a guy who consistently drafts better than anyone. I don't think that guy exists.

Comment

I'm not sure where you think I forget any of that shit, I have well over 40,000 thousand posts. My point was more about having a guy who consistently drafts better than anyone. I don't think that guy exists.
                                I wasn't insulting you, or trying to be disrespectful to you, I was just pointing out that for the last 20+ years, heck, since 1957, this Franchise has been P##s poor at even doing anything approaching competent, outside of the Barry Sanders years, and even that was just one year at that. We don't have a good base to compare with here, due to the pathetic way WCF Sr. and his family has run this team into the ground since 1963.

As far as New England goes, that ship is ran by one man, BB, and we've seen the results here of when we hired his lackeys in Quinntricia. The Patriots and other well run organizations in the NFL are smart enough to move on when they make a mistake with their draft selection or FA signing, unlike Quinn (Tabor, most of his Draft and FA selections/signings, etc.)

As much as I hate Green Bay, I have to admit, that they've been better at drafting players, developing players, hiring coaches, scouts, etc. since Mike Holmgren went to Green Bay in 1992. Outside of the near 3 decade run of mediocrity that they were in from the end of the Lombardi years in the late '60s to the beginning of the Holmgren era, Green Bay has been the standard in the Division, and one of the better Franchises in the League.

The Detroit Lions haven't even been close to that. We all can admit that. Now, I hope that the new people in charge can fix that, but we'll have to wait and see.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                                My friend Ken L

Comment

Working...
                                X