X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packers gain cap space by restructuring Kenny Clark’s deal

Posted by Myles Simmons on February 23, 2022, 9:27 AM EST

Getty Images

The Packers could have some big contracts to pay out in 2022, depending on what happens with quarterback Aaron Rodgers and receiver Davante Adams.

They’re starting to clear the deck for those potential deals now.

According to Field Yates of ESPN, the Packers have created $10.892 million in cap space by restructuring defensive tackle Kenny Clark‘s contract. Green Bay converted $13.615 million of Clark’s 2022 compensation into a signing bonus while adding a pair of void years to the defensive tackle’s contract.

Clark signed a four-year, $70 million extension with the Packers back in August 2020.

The 27th pick of the 2016 draft, Clark has become a key piece to the Green Bay defense. He was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2021, recording 48 total tackles with six tackles for loss, 13 QB hits, 4.0 sacks, and a fumble recovery.

In 89 career games, he has 22.5 sacks and 33 tackles for loss.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• He's staying.

Aaron Rodgers: The game is better when Tom Clements is coaching

Posted by Myles Simmons on February 23, 2022, 8:57 AM EST

Getty Images

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers didn’t reveal much about his ultimate decision on his future during his Tuesday appearance on the Pat McAfee Show.

But Rodgers may have hinted that one of Green Bay’s recent moves is, in fact, a positive for the franchise.

The Packers recently lured Tom Clements out of retirement to be the team’s quarterbacks coach in 2022. Clements previously was Green Bay’s quarterbacks coach from 2006-2011 before becoming offensive coordinator from 2012-2014. He was then the club’s assistant head coach from 2015-2016.

While Rodgers said, “There’s still a lot to decide” and that he wants to have more conversations with close friends and teammates, he then spoke glowingly about Clements.

“Obviously, you know, Tom Clements got hired to be the quarterbacks coach of the Packers,” he told McAfee. “Tom and I go way back. I love Tom. I mean, Tom — I owe him so much credit for my development. So I’m happy to see him back in the game. The game is better when Tom Clements is coaching because he’s one of those special, special coaches.

“Doesn’t get all the credit he deserves — he’s kind of just been one of those lifer guys in the business. But, [he’s a] fantastic teacher of the game and great for young players as well. When I was a young player, the offseason was obviously different back then. But man, he was instrumental in my development for sure.”

So Rodgers doesn’t appear to have any negative feelings toward the move to bring back Clements after the departure of former QBs coach Luke Getsy, who is now the Bears’ offensive coordinator.

But Rodgers did mention how good Clements can be for young QBs. And if it so happens that Rodgers decides he no longer wants to play for the Packers, then apparently 2020 first-round pick Jordan Love would be in good hands.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Brian Flores hasn’t spoken to Bill Belichick since text exchange

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 22, 2022, 5:36 PM EST

Getty Images

A key point in Brian Flores’ lawsuit against the NFL, the Dolphins and the Giants is that Flores’ former boss, Patriots coach Bill Belichick, texted Flores before he interviewed to tell him he was getting the Giants job — only to then say he was mistaken and it was actually Brian Daboll getting the job. Daboll’s legal team sees that as evidence that people in the know around the NFL knew that Flores was getting a sham interview with the Giants.

As for Flores and Belichick, they haven’t spoken since that text exchange.

Asked by Bryant Gumbel on the upcoming episode of HBO’s Real Sports whether he has talked to Belichick, Flores said he hasn’t, and that he doesn’t think he will unless they happen to see each other at an NFL event.

“I mean there’s potential that we could — we could run into each other,” Flores said. “I mean I’d be open to a conversation. But, no . . . we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.”

Flores also said the Patriots never showed interest in bringing him back to their coaching staff.

“No. I didn’t talk to anyone from New England,” Flores said.

Flores ended up on the Steelers’ staff. The Steelers will host the Patriots during the 2022 regular season, so perhaps Flores and Belichick will see each other then.

Comment

• Report: Seahawks open talks with Quandre Diggs

Posted by Charean Williams on February 22, 2022, 4:35 PM EST

Getty Images

Seahawks safety Quandre Diggs said after the season he wanted to return to the team next season but wanted to be “fairly compensated.” The Seahawks reportedly are working to make that happen.

Corbin Smith of SI.com reports that the team has opened negotiations with Diggs’ representation in hopes of re-signing the two-time Pro Bowler. Smith adds that there are “no details on potential years/compensation and a deal isn’t imminent.”

Talks, though, indicate the Seahawks hope not to let Diggs hit the open market next month.

The Seahawks have the option to use the franchise tag on Diggs to buy more time to work out a long-term deal. The franchise tag deadline is March 8.

Diggs fractured his fibula and dislocated his ankle in Week 18, but he started every game the past two seasons for the Seahawks. He made 13 interceptions and 20 pass breakups in 38 games with Seattle after the team acquired him from the Lions in 2019.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
            He's staying.
            I agree with you. They’ll run it back with Rodgers and they’re smart for trying to make it work. But with that said the wheels are going to come off soon. They’re going to put themselves in cap hell to keep the band together and Jordan Love IMO was a waste of a pick.

The only thing Love has done is to keep a constant fire under Rodgers but I don’t see anything more.
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• The Packers are a similar situation that Lions were with Suh, Stafford and Johnson. The Lions got screwed back then because the cap went down so much compared what it was going to be due to the new CBA. The Packers are in this pickle because of the COVID reduction, but they should still be able to figure it out. You keep on pushing the can down the road until the cap goes up a lot.

Comment

• Looks like Aikman is possibly moving to ESPN and Monday Night Football. I know he gets a lot of praise but is he that great? He doesn’t seem to add much to me. It I’m not really that into announcers.

Comment

• I think Aikman is the my favorite analyst out there, I hoped he would stay at Fox.

Comment

• I thought the MNF crew was pretty good this year.

Not a popular take, but I like Collinsworth. Once you get past the cliches and corn pone he gives the best insight and analysis.
                    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I think Collinsworth has gotten worse in the last few years. He showed his ass on any analysis of Stafford. All of the jokes about how the big game analysts don't pay attention to the non glamour teams was proven to be true when he had a Rams game this year. It was like he had never seen Stafford play a game. The Mahomes analogy took the cake.

Comment

• The thing I like about Aikman is that he sneaks real good nuggets on what they offense wants to do but he subtle about it. If you don't listen carefully it gets lost in grumpy old man schtick and the obvious, "Here's a big play Joe." statements.

Comment

• Honestly Spielman was who I thought was fantastic. I was hoping he was gonna move up in the broadcasting ranks. I'm ok with him where he is now instead though.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                            I think Collinsworth has gotten worse in the last few years. He showed his ass on any analysis of Stafford. All of the jokes about how the big game analysts don't pay attention to the non glamour teams was proven to be true when he had a Rams game this year. It was like he had never seen Stafford play a game. The Mahomes analogy took the cake.
                            He’s awful. Everything about him from his cheesy grin to his predilection for teenage girls as a player. A creep.

And yes he admitted he barely watched Stafford. “We didn’t see a whole lot of Detroit on SNF, but I watched every throw he made last season and wow”.

Comment

• Originally posted by JGSpartan View Post
                              Honestly Spielman was who I thought was fantastic. I was hoping he was gonna move up in the broadcasting ranks. I'm ok with him where he is now instead though.
                              Me too! Spielman was awesome. I didn’t ever think he’d leave the big bucks of broadcasting for a job with the Lions. Surprised but I couldn’t be happier tho
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                                The thing I like about Aikman is that he sneaks real good nuggets on what they offense wants to do but he subtle about it. If you don't listen carefully it gets lost in grumpy old man schtick and the obvious, "Here's a big play Joe." statements.
                                Aikman is def good too
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X