No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was hilarious . Maybe they will get him trained up. At least it seemed like he was giving his honest reactions. Hey, it's made Romo a lot of money so far.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Is it "Talking Sh!t" if it's true?

Isaac Bruce: Torry Holt and I are the best duo ever, we won a Super Bowl unlike Moss and Carter

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 14, 2021, 4:59 AM EDT

Getty Images

As former Rams receiver Isaac Bruce prepares for his enshrinement in the Pro Football Hall of Fame next month, he’s making a bold statement about his place in NFL history: Bruce said that he and Torry Holt are the best wide receiver duo in NFL history.

“It may seem like a whole lot of arrogance to other people, but numbers don’t lie,” Bruce told Bryan DeArdo of CBS. “Everything we put on the football field, the film, it is what it is. You can always go back and turn it on.”

Asked about the Vikings’ duo of Randy Moss and Cris Carter, Bruce answered, “We won a Super Bowl.”

If Super Bowl rings are the determining factor, Bruce and Holt would have to take a backseat to Lynn Swann and John Stallworth, two Hall of Fame receivers who won four Super Bowls together on the Steelers, as well as Jerry Rice and John Taylor, who won three Super Bowls together on the 49ers.

Other great receiver duos in NFL history include Rice and Terrell Owens on the 49ers, Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne on the Colts, Mark Duper and Mark Clayton on the Dolphins, Tom Fears and Elroy Hirsch on the Rams and Fred Biletnikoff and Cliff Branch on the Raiders.

It’s ultimately a subjective opinion and unsurprising that Bruce puts himself and Holt at the top of the list. Even if most football fans would disagree.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Cassius Marsh: Patriots treat players like crap

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 13, 2021, 3:54 PM EDT

Getty Images

Steelers linebacker Cassius Marsh has spent time with seven different NFL teams, but his time with the Patriots stood out. And not in a good way.

Marsh, who was traded to the Patriots in September of 2017 and cut by the Patriots in November of that year, said on Tom Segura’s podcast that the Patriots’ winning comes at the expense of players being able to enjoy the game of football.

“The Patriot Way is extremely impressive,” Marsh said. “They work day-in and day-out. Their work ethic over there, what they instill, is pretty legendary. But they also treat players like crap. You don’t have a lunch period. You get there and you have to make time to eat in between meetings. And they’re like five to 10 minute periods where I would literally go scoop food and put it in a cup and crush it real quick before I got to the next meeting. There’s no fun. There’s no — well, that is what I got in trouble for, for saying they don’t have fun.”

This isn’t the first time Marsh criticized the Patriots. He referred to himself as one of the Top 5 most-hated former Patriots in New England because of his previous comments, but he also said several Patriots players have thanked him for speaking out.

“A lot of the players like thanked me for making it public on how bad they treat guys. I mean, they win games so you just really can’t argue with championships,” Marsh said.

Marsh added that he respects Patriots coach Bill Belichick. He just doesn’t like him.

Comment

• First a dagger in the chest of Caesar and now one to the back of Belichick? No respect for greatness!

Mama, don’t name your child Cassius.

Comment

• Deacon Jones led NFL in sacks a record five times

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 13, 2021, 1:42 PM EDT

Getty Images

Officially, the NFL says no player has ever led the league in quarterback sacks more than once. But we now know that Hall of Fame defensive end Deacon Jones led the NFL in sacks five times.

Thanks to pre-1982 sack totals being published by Pro Football Reference, we now know who had the most sacks in the NFL (and AFL) in every season since 1960.

Jones, incredibly, led the NFL in sacks in 1964, 1965, 1967, 1968 and 1969. (He finished third in the NFL in sacks in 1966.) No player has ever had that kind of sustained run as the NFL’s best pass rusher.

Twelve players have led the league in sacks twice: Ed Husmann, Jim Katcavage, Al Baker, Larry Eisenhauer, Jack Youngblood, Mark Gastineau, Reggie White, Kevin Greene, Michael Strahan, DeMarcus Ware, Jared Allen and J.J. Watt. But only Jones has done it more than twice.

Comment

• Derrick Brown: I’ve got to play a lot better, be more consistent

Posted by Josh Alper on July 13, 2021, 1:20 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Panthers made defensive tackle Derrick Brown a first-round pick in 2020 and he promptly took a spot in the team’s starting lineup for his rookie season.

Brown had 34 tackles, two sacks and 12 quarterback hits while playing 70 percent of the defensive snaps for Carolina. Both sacks and 11 of the quarterback hits came in the second half of the season, which suggests Brown was finding his way in the NFL as the year came to an end and left him certain of things that are going to have to change in his second year with the team.

“I’ve got to play a lot better,” Brown said, via Darin Gantt of the team’s website. “I’ve got to be more consistent. At everything, every situation. I don’t think it’s one thing. It’s a focus. Last year, with everything going as fast as it was through my rookie year, it was trying to juggle everything. Now being able to sit down and focus and learn is the biggest thing.

The Panthers focused exclusively on defense in the 2020 draft and safety Jeremy Chinn was the standout of that group last year. A step up to that level for Brown would be a welcome development in Carolina this fall.

Comment

• Brown had 34 tackles, two sacks and 12 quarterback hits while playing 70 percent of the defensive snaps for Carolina.
                John Nau Penisini had 35 tackles and 1 sack

Comment

• Richard Sherman Also Being Investigated For Hit And Run, More Details On Arrest

July 14th, 2021 at 12:51pm CST by Andrew Ortenberg

We continue to get new details on the Richard Sherman, and things continue to look worse for the free agent cornerback. In addition to his arrest for “burglary domestic violence,” Sherman is also being investigated for a hit and run and “damage to state Department of Transportation property,” Adam Schefter of ESPN.com tweets.

“State police say that at about 1:00 a.m. PT, they received a report of a single-car incident” where a car struck a concrete barrier, Schefter writes. The driver of the car “was able to drive the vehicle off the exit and abandoned it in a nearby parking lot. The registration was run, and it came back to Richard Sherman.”

That’s not good. That apparently happened at 1 a.m., and then the call to police from a relative of Sherman’s partner was placed at 2 a.m. The phone call alleged Sherman was trying to force his way into the home, and he was arrested when police arrived.

Meanwhile, a report from TMZ has more details on the arrest. According to TMZ police are claiming that Sherman “became uncooperative and combative during questioning,” and that a K9 was eventually deployed to take him down.

That would explain why he was taken to a local hospital to check for injuries. It’s a scary and sad situation, and one that could take a while to play out.

This isn’t shocking, but an NFL spokesman confirmed to Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times that Sherman could face discipline from the league depending on the outcome of the case (Twitter link). No matter what, this certainly won’t help his slow-developing free agency, and don’t expect to see him signed any time soon.

Comment

• Jordan Matthews To Audition As TE

July 14th, 2021 at 9:31am CST by Zachary Links

Longtime wide receiver Jordan Matthews is set to audition for teams this weekend as a tight end (Twitter link via NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport). Matthews seems serious about the move, having added more than 15 pounds to his frame in recent months.

[RELATED: Kelvin Benjamin Switches To TE, Signs With Giants]

Matthews teased his plans earlier this summer and began working out with tight ends including George Kittle and Robert Tonyan. He even switched representation, signing with Steve Caric, the agent for notable TEs like Zach Ertz, Austin Hooper, and Devin Asiasi.

Standing at 6-foot-3, Matthews always had the height to play tight end. Now tipping the scales at somewhere above 230 pounds, he has the bulk too. We’ve already seen one former wideout switch to tight end this offseason — Kelvin Benjamin has joined the Giants and old pal Dave Gettleman as a TE. Of course, there’s also former quarterback Tim Tebow, who is attempting a switch to TE with the Jaguars.

Matthews, a former second-round pick, had at least 800 receiving yards in each of his first three NFL seasons. He hasn’t matched that production over the past few years though. Since 2017, Matthews has hauled in just 49 receptions for 615 yards and three scores. He saw time in the 49ers’ final two games of the 2020 season, appearing on 14 offensive snaps without recording a catch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

John Nau Penisini had 35 tackles and 1 sack
                      Maybe we could trade him for Brown straight up
                      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• It's worth a shot

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                          Cassius Marsh: Patriots treat players like crap

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 13, 2021, 3:54 PM EDT

Getty Images

Steelers linebacker Cassius Marsh has spent time with seven different NFL teams, but his time with the Patriots stood out. And not in a good way.

Marsh, who was traded to the Patriots in September of 2017 and cut by the Patriots in November of that year, said on Tom Segura’s podcast that the Patriots’ winning comes at the expense of players being able to enjoy the game of football.

“The Patriot Way is extremely impressive,” Marsh said. “They work day-in and day-out. Their work ethic over there, what they instill, is pretty legendary. But they also treat players like crap. You don’t have a lunch period. You get there and you have to make time to eat in between meetings. And they’re like five to 10 minute periods where I would literally go scoop food and put it in a cup and crush it real quick before I got to the next meeting. There’s no fun. There’s no — well, that is what I got in trouble for, for saying they don’t have fun.”

This isn’t the first time Marsh criticized the Patriots. He referred to himself as one of the Top 5 most-hated former Patriots in New England because of his previous comments, but he also said several Patriots players have thanked him for speaking out.

“A lot of the players like thanked me for making it public on how bad they treat guys. I mean, they win games so you just really can’t argue with championships,” Marsh said.

Marsh added that he respects Patriots coach Bill Belichick. He just doesn’t like him.
                          Patricia tried that over here without the culture of winning. Not a good combo.

Comment

• This article is well worth the time. I always love the stories about the true badasses in the locker room. Orndoff ranks up there probably with Danny Hodge and Haku.
                            The muscular superstar combined superlative conditioning with otherworldly intensity to become a leading antagonist during the golden age of Hulkamania

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                              This article is well worth the time. I always love the stories about the true badasses in the locker room. Orndoff ranks up there probably with Danny Hodge and Haku.
                              Have you watched the Rock's show: Young Rock

Awesome!

Comment

• We love that show

Comment

Working...
                                X