No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They applied the offsides penalty from the 2 yard line and gave them half the distance to the goal. It was a loop hole because Denver was allowed take the penalty from the 2 pts spot rather than against the kicking spot (where the penalty occurred).

It's a simple fix, once you decide to kick or try for 2 pts, you can only apply any resulting penalties against that same scenario.

Comment

• It's amazing that they didn't have that scenario already taken care of. It's not like it is a fluke this happened.

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
        They applied the offsides penalty from the 2 yard line and gave them half the distance to the goal. It was a loop hole because Denver was allowed take the penalty from the 2 pts spot rather than against the kicking spot (where the penalty occurred).

It's a simple fix, once you decide to kick or try for 2 pts, you can only apply any resulting penalties against that same scenario.
        I'm not getting this.
        Ball is at the 7 when the penalty is called - how does it move 6 yards?
        You can't penalize them half the distance from the 2 - when the ball is at the 7.

Comment

• They called the penalty on the 2 yard line. Rather than try the 2-pt conversion from the 7, Denver chose then to kick instead, and the ball was set at the standard 15 yard line to try the kick (no penalty). Chicago jumped offsides, and instead of moving the ball from the 15 to the 10 and re-kicking, Denver was allowed to take half the distance from the 2 yard line mark instead and try from the 1 yard line.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
            They called the penalty on the 2 yard line. Rather than try the 2-pt conversion from the 7, Denver chose then to kick instead, and the ball was set at the standard 15 yard line to try the kick (no penalty). Chicago jumped offsides, and instead of moving the ball from the 15 to the 10 and re-kicking, Denver was allowed to take half the distance from the 2 yard line mark instead and try from the 1 yard line.
            That still makes no sense. The ball shouldn't have been any closer than the 7 when the penalty was applied.
            What kind a written rule allows respotting the ball from a point you were never at?
            Moreover - that kick should have been taken from the 20 - i.e. apply the first penalty correctly.
            In other words, they were never actually penalized in the first place.
            Last edited by Fraquar; April 5, 2021, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• Right, which is what they are trying to fix it. Denver essentially wiped away the initial penalty by deciding to kick instead, and then were rewarded with a better position than they should have been. It was treated like a play from scrimmage, that once the penalty was not accepted/enforced, it had no bearing on the next play. Which is dumb. Hence Chicago's suggestion to change the rule for PATs.

Comment

• Even better change. Bring the PAT back to the 2 to begin with, and let it be an "automatic" point. It's not like pushing it back to the 15 has impacted the percentages THAT much, and has taken one potential layer of strategy from the game as well.

Comment

• I like the farther PAT if the alternative was to eliminate it entirely. That was the idea gaining momentum before the longer PAT compromise.

Comment

• I've read that article, and I admit I'm no English major but it seems to me they did not apply the rule properly.

ARTICLE 3. FOULS COMMITTED DURING TRY.
                    If a foul results in a retry, Team A will have the option to enforce the penalty from the spot where it attempted the try (previous spot) or from the yard line for the other try option.
                    ---------
                    Enforce the penalty
                    .........from here (2 pt) - i.e. the 2 yard line
                    .........OR
                    .........from 15 (other try option)

Rinse and repeat for any subsequent penalties - because you have just determined what the new points of try are.
                    In this case they are 7 (for the 2pt) or the 20 (for the 1 pt).

Comment

• I would agree, if that's the section from the rule book, seems like they didn't treat it as written. But the article mentions that it's not enforced that way. So it appears it may just be changing the guidance for refs in how they apply the rule. Which is just totally on brand for the NFL, not actually applying their own rules as written.

Many fans were surprised to learn the Broncos got to take their two-point conversion attempt from the 1-yard line, which effectively treated Denver’s previous delay of game penalty as if it never happened. But that’s the way the rules are currently enforced.

Comment

• The NFL has at least 3 different sources for the rules:

1. Their official rulebook which isn't publicly available and is very hard to obtain.
                        2. Their rules as they post them on their website which is normally gets cited on the internet, which is very similar to 1. But not all the time.
                        3. The guidance that they give the refs which trump the other two.

Sometimes professional wrestling rules seem more straightforward.

Comment

• Ultimately Fraquar is probably correct that they interpreted it wrong but always remember the NFL would rather add more layers to a rule than to simply publicly admit it was wrongly applied.

Comment

• Jets trade QB Sam Darnold to Panthers, New York gains multiple picks for former first-round QB

The Sam Darnold era in New York has officially come to a close. With the NFL Draft just weeks away from kicking off, the Carolina Panthers have acquired the former first-round quarterback in a trade with the Jets, as reported by CBS Sports NFL Insider Jonathan Jones. The Panthers have since confirmed the trade and noted that they are sending a 2021 sixth-round pick along with a second and fourth-round selection in 2022.

Darnold's future with the Jets was in doubt once New York slotted themselves into the No. 2 overall pick at the 2021 NFL Draft. There, they are positioned to select one of the top quarterback prospects that make up a rather deep class at the position. Our own CBS Sports NFL Draft expert Ryan Wilson has the Jets taking BYU signal-caller Zach Wilson, who has been the presumptive No. 2 pick throughout the pre-draft process. This deal that now sends Darnold to the Panthers all but confirms that the organization will be going with a quarterback at that top spot.

"Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Fuuuuuuuck, that takes a lot leverage out of the Lions pick. I'm not a big Darnold fan, but that's a good roll of the dice on a guy a lot of analysts still like.

Comment

• I think that's common knowledge that the NFL pretty routinely enforces some rules differently than the rulebook. Looking at you in particular pass interference. I think most teams and fans want consistency above all else. The yearly hidden communication to referees about how they want to apply given rules may appear to be providing consistency in their minds but it often leaves teams and fans confused when they look up the rules and they don't match the product.

Comment

Working...
                                X