No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “The Rams want to play-action all game. They ain’t dropping back and letting the ball go. They can’t do it. They want to play-action, get their little down flats, the little flat routes all game, just let their people run. You ain’t gonna win like that.”
    Lol. That's gonna change Deebo. I promise you.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• NFL revenue drops from $16 billion in 2019 to $12 billion in 2020

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2021, 4:51 PM EST

Getty Images

Even though the NFL managed to play all 256 regular-season games and all 13 postseason games, the league lost a large chunk of money due to the pandemic.

According to Ben Fischer of Sports Business Journal, the league saw its revenue fall from $16 billion in 2019 to $12 billion in 2020. The league had expected to generate $16.5 billion last year, before the pandemic changed everything.

The NFL wiped out its entire preseason due to the pandemic. Also, attendance fell from more than 17 million to little more than one million.

The league undoubtedly will earn significantly more this year and beyond, given the expectation that many (if not most) stadiums will be full this year. Regardless, the $4 billion that was lost in 2020 isn’t coming back.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Mark Ingram signing with Texans

Posted by Josh Alper on March 11, 2021, 4:09 PM EST

Getty Images

Running back Mark Ingram‘s set to continue his NFL career in Houston.

According to multiple reports, Ingram has agreed to a contract with the Texans. It is a one-year deal worth up to $3 million.

Ingram was released by the Ravens after their playoff loss to the Bills in January. He fell out of the team’s lineup over the back end of the 2020 season with just 22 carries in the final eight weeks and he did not play at all in the postseason.

Ingram had 72 carries for 299 yards and two touchdowns over the entire year.

David Johnson recently took a pay cut to remain on the roster in Houston, so Ingram will be looking at a complementary role in their backfield. Buddy Howell, Scottie Phillips, and Dontrell Hilliard are also on the roster.

Comment

• David Culley: “We are very committed to Deshaun [Watson] as our quarterback”

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2021, 2:13 PM EST

Getty Images

Mixed signals are coming from one of the most mixed-up teams in pro sports.

Texans coach David Culley gave Jim Trotter of NFL Media the impression that the team is willing to trade quarterback Deshaun Watson. During a Thursday press conference, however, Culley reiterated the team’s position that Watson is going nowhere.

“We are very committed to Deshaun as our quarterback,” Culley said. He reiterated that position at least once during the press conference.

Culley also said that there’s no contingency plan if/when Watson goes, because Watson is the quarterback. Culley likewise said, as to the notion that Watson wants out, it’s “not a matter of me trying to change anybody’s mind.”

Although Culley declined to comment on his conversation(s) with Waston, Culley said this when pressed on Watson wanting out: “I don’t know about him not wanting to be a Houston Texan.” Culley separately said that Watson is committed to being a Texan. (When pressed to explain that, Culley said several things but not, “He told me so.”)

So, basically, something doesn’t add up. Which is no surprise, given that over the past couple of years, nothing about the Texans has added up.

Comment

• David Culley suggests Texans may be willing to trade Deshaun Watson

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 11, 2021, 1:25 PM EST

Getty Images

Officially, the Texans’ stance toward disgruntled quarterback Deshaun Watson is that they’re keeping him, not trading him. But that stance is starting to soften.

That’s the word from Jim Trotter of NFL Media, who interviewed Texans head coach David Culley for a podcast that will be posted later today. Trotter wrote on Twitter that based on the conversation they had for the podcast, “I firmly believe Deshaun Watson will be traded.”

Culley didn’t say Watson will be traded, but Culley’s choice of words hinted that Watson may not be a Texan much longer. Culley referred to Watson being on the roster “right now” and indicated that the Texans don’t want a franchise quarterback who doesn’t want to be there, saying, “We want guys who are all in.”

Watson is one of the best young quarterbacks in the NFL, and if the Texans are willing to trade him, they could get a huge bounty of players and draft picks. Culley’s comments suggest the team may be coming around to the idea that the way to rebuild is to grant Watson’s wish and trade him.

Comment

• Orlando Brown says “ongoing conversations” with six teams about a trade

Posted by Josh Alper on March 11, 2021, 1:09 PM EST

Getty Images

Orlando Brown wants to play left tackle and he knows that his chances of doing so with the Ravens are nil as long as Ronnie Stanley is healthy, so he asked for a trade last month to a team that will put him in that spot on a full-time basis.

The Ravens say they’ll do what’s best for the team and they have granted Brown and his agents permission to talk to teams about a deal. Brown told Mike Garafolo of NFL Media that there are “ongoing conversations” with six teams about a deal and that a new contract — Brown is heading into the final year of his rookie deal — would be part of the package.

Brown played left tackle before going to Baltimore and said his father Orlando, who also played for the Ravens, told him not to “settle for playing right tackle.” As a result, Brown said his desire is “a lot more emotional or spiritual” than simply about football matters.

“It’s a situation where Baltimore knows my plan isn’t to play right tackle,” Brown said. “I feel more comfortable on the left side. That’s where I had played my whole life. I’m a better left tackle than right tackle. . . . It’s been my goal to be a starting left tackle in this league. To be presented with the opportunity realistically, it’s hard for me to turn something like that down.”

Any deal Brown and his agents are able to work out will have to pass muster with the Ravens, so there’s still some pieces to fall into place. Garafolo reports all parties believe something will come together, however, and that may lead to Brown going on the move sooner rather than later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                Flores better be careful. They are a better team because of the young players GM Chris Grier is accumulating there. Van Noy and some other NE cast offs just flamed out there. They shouldn't dip into that pool too often.
                Send them Tavai ASAP!!
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                  Conflicting reports emerge on Cam Newton’s 2021 compensation

Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2021, 9:18 AM EST

Getty Images

The Patriots are bringing back quarterback Cam Newton. It’s still not entirely clear what they’re paying him.

Last year, he ultimately earned $3.706 million under a package that had a maximum value of $7.5 million. Tom Pelissero of NFL Media characterizes the new contract as giving Newton “a chance to make a little more than he did in 2020.” Adam Schefter of ESPN, in sharp contrast, reports that the one-year deal is worth “close to $14 million.”

That’s obviously a broad gap. The truth will be revealed when the final, official numbers emerge.

Even if it’s $14 million, Newton remains far below the current top of the market. But it matches the compensation to be received this year by Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, and it puts Newton back in the top 20, at least for now.

Most importantly, it gives both the Patriots and Newton a chance to build on a relationship that showed promise in 2020. The Patriots weren’t 3-13; they won seven of 16 games and could have won more — especially if Cam hadn’t caught COVID-19 fairly early in the season.

Meanwhile, the kid who heckled Cam a couple of weeks ago has been proven wrong, on multiple counts. First, Cam isn’t a free agent. Second, he’s not “about to be poor.”
                  NE has to draft a QB. Cam Newton has looked terrible throwing the ball the last several years. I don’t see him as even a stop gap for NE with all of the strain that clubhouse can have and his demeanor.

They have a ton of cap space to sign whoever they want but Cam can’t be the answer.
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Got a RT asking to play LT - and at the end of his first contract - this is going to be fun.

Comment

• "NE has to draft a QB. Cam Newton has looked terrible throwing the ball the last several years. I don’t see him as even a stop gap for NE with all of the strain that clubhouse can have and his demeanor."------------------------------------------------People are always tooting his horn. Personally I don't see it. He's an average QB at best.
                      GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• He was good once. Washed unfortunately.

Comment

• Agreed. At one time he was one of the best but that time is long gone. That’s why I prefer pocket passers. The running “athletic” QBs take a lot of hits. There’s only so much a body can take over the years
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Cam is particularly physical. He used to truck guys over regularly. I keep thinking Lamar Jackson is an accident waiting to happen with his frame but he rarely seems to get hit.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
                              Cam is particularly physical. He used to truck guys over regularly. I keep thinking Lamar Jackson is an accident waiting to happen with his frame but he rarely seems to get hit.
                              Cam is the anti-QB. He's got the very body that suggests you do the absolute worst things you want your QB to do.
                              At the end of the day, he's going to pay a price. In a league where you teach your QB to slide and save himself for the next play.
                              It's one thing to ask your rather frail looking QB to goose his C and sneak it in (Brady) - it's another when your QB decides he wants to do an Earl Campbell imitation.

Comment

• Tom Brady isn't frail.

Comment

Working...
                                X