Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Politics - 2020 Presidential Election - GOP v Dem cage fight (ENTER AT YOUR PERIL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The amount of people truly in the middle politically seems to have shrunk considerably. I don't know if there are any actual statistics on that but it certainly seems that way. Social media as well as massively biased cable "news" has had an extremely negative effect on politics and reality. As someone who would probably be described as slightly left of center it's easy to see that both sides are going insane gobbling up lies and anything that confirms their bias.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Lion View Post

When "grab'm by the pussy" was leaked, I was like, "Oh ok, so looks like we will have the first female president." Then the country thought it was ok to elect a guy who does x, y, z, and a, b, and c, and break every law on the books. The world was insane long before Covid.
      Yeah but, then you took your bleach and it cured your covid......., so quit with the whingin', dude!!
      "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by JGSpartan View Post
        The amount of people truly in the middle politically seems to have shrunk considerably. I don't know if there are any actual statistics on that but it certainly seems that way. Social media as well as massively biased cable "news" has had an extremely negative effect on politics and reality. As someone who would probably be described as slightly left of center it's easy to see that both sides are going insane gobbling up lies and anything that confirms their bias.
        While it is true that the "center" is shrinking, what I'd argue has more happened is that the people who had been relegated to the fringes realized just how many of them there are, and now everything is being spoke through a bullhorn at every turn. It's not that people have become more extreme, but that they're hearing that it's okay to be so, and be as loud as possible declaring it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Lion View Post

When "grab'm by the pussy" was leaked, I was like, "Oh ok, so looks like we will have the first female president." Then the country thought it was ok to elect a guy who does x, y, z, and a, b, and c, and break every law on the books. The world was insane long before Covid.
          If Hillary was at least somewhat likable this all could have been avoided.
          3,062 carries, 15,269 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 99 TD
          10x Pro Bowl, 6x All-Pro, 1997 MVP, 2004 NFL HoF

Comment

• Originally posted by Sanders Fan View Post

While it wouldn't have hurt, the multi-decade smear campaign the GOP had been running on her did far more to her aura of "unlikability" than anything.

If I was to criticize anything, it was how the Dem party itself cleared the decks for Hillary in 2016 rather than give the primary voters a fair shake to choose the nominee.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

While it wouldn't have hurt, the multi-decade smear campaign the GOP had been running on her did far more to her aura of "unlikability" than anything.

If I was to criticize anything, it was how the Dem party itself cleared the decks for Hillary in 2016 rather than give the primary voters a fair shake to choose the nominee.
              ”clearing the decks” is putting it nicely. Wasserman-Schultz worked overtime to deep six Bernie Sanders’ campaign. Of course, the Clintons were no strangers to scandals going back to Arkansas and she certainly didn’t help herself by having classified information on a server in a bathroom closet.

Comment

• The entire e-mail thing was such a nothingburger objectively, and entirely my point. NO adminstration or campaign has handled e-mail security any better, nor have they particularly tried.

Comment

The entire e-mail thing was such a nothingburger objectively, and entirely my point. NO adminstration or campaign has handled e-mail security any better, nor have they particularly tried.
                  It’s the optics. As far as I’m aware, she was the only SoS to have a private server. It just made her look even more shady that she already looked.

Comment

• I used to love watching Morning Joe and listening to talk radio years ago but I can barely stand it any more. My wife had to talk me into voting yesterday because I was so apathetic. I used to say politics was like watching sports but it’s really like watching professional wrestling.

Comment

It’s the optics. As far as I’m aware, she was the only SoS to have a private server. It just made her look even more shady that she already looked.
                      That's the thing. She wasn't. Colin Powell did as well. Trump's SoS was apparently leaving e-mails completely unsecured and unencrypted. It only was a big deal when the "horse race" election cycle needed it to be.

Comment

That's the thing. She wasn't. Colin Powell did as well. Trump's SoS was apparently leaving e-mails completely unsecured and unencrypted. It only was a big deal when the "horse race" election cycle needed it to be.
                        He never used a server at his house or had an outside contractor handle it though, he just used an AOL email address on a personal computer to send emails to some friends and foreign leaders. He used his state.gov address to send most of his mail. She apparently never even set up a government email and sent all of her email through her server.

I think a lot of government officials are callous about handling government documents and emails. How can we ever forget Sandy Berger sticking classified documents down his pants and walking out of the archives?
                        Last edited by Sanders Fan; January 24, 2024, 03:59 PM.

Comment

How can we ever forget Sandy Berger sticking classified documents down his pants and walking out of the archives?
                          That sounds like a Monty Python sketch.

"I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

Yep. The Dems ran an establishment candidate that was a horrible campaigner and basically ran on Trump is bad. HRC did nothing to energize her base and her very presence energized Trump's base.

Michael Wolfe had a book on Trump election that came out very early in his presidency. In it, Trump in the White House said, that he thought for sure that HRC would pick Bernie Sanders as her VP and that was the only person that scared him as a potential VP pick.

In truth, that pick would have been enough for HRC to win the election. It would have excited Bernie's supporters (though more of them voted for HRC in the general than HRC supporters voted for Obama).

And the Biden administration had done a better job to date (just like if the Trump administration had handled COVID-19 a lot better) this reelection would have been a cakewalk for him.
                            2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• You guys are pining for Hillary?

this is the last time I open this thread.........
                              The only logical explanation is:
                              I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• Originally posted by Newbomb Turk View Post
                                You guys are pining for Hillary?

this is the last time I open this thread.........
                                I am not. I thought she was a mistake to be the Dem nominee way back in 2016
                                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Working...
                                X