X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was the greatest RB of all time.

Emmitt or Barry?
    Jim then Walter
    Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
      Well, as a former season ticket holder at the Dome, we can go on record right now as agreeing to disagree.

If you have only been to a pre season game at Ford Field and didn't care for it, I would suggest you attend a regular season game where the team kicks a bit of ass.

We have been lucky in our scheduling of the Forum game while we have seen plenty of losses, we have also witnessed some great wins.

I like the sight lines of FF as well as all of the amenities it provides.

Now, the product on the field is a different subject and trust me, there are many here that will be happy to discuss that with you as we have discussed it for decades and hate beating dead horses.

speaking of dead horses........

........this brings to mind a question.

Who was the greatest RB of all time.

Emmitt or Barry?

.........and BTW, I am going way off topic in this thread with this question, and there are numerous threads already archived on this subject but, I am curious to your thoughts.
      Wow I was pretty surprised by you disagreeing, I thought the preface of your statement was surely setting up an agreement lol. I only ever sat in ONE spot in all of the Silverdome games I went to, and I used to go to every single home game except for Thanksgiving Day with my dad. We always purchased the front row or second row in the corner of the upper deck so you were on the corner of the endzone, and it was just a great line of angles to see the whole field and especially when it got loud in there that was the loudest indoor sports stadium in the world, what a magical atmosphere even with a dreadfully losing team. That was a heck of a sweet spot to sit and soak in the spirit of football.

I'm not going to comment much about Ford Field since I don't have anything nice to say and hate almost everything about it even the amenities and operations, and the only positive thing is that it is a "pretty" park just like the "pretty" park where the Tigers play which I hate even more than Ford Field.

And IMO Barry is the best football player in history at any position, and I have seen I believe every snap Barry ever had in the pros as well as his college tape in depth. And I'm never biased in favor of my home-team except for obviously any natural bias from having seen Barry so much and not the same can be said for Emmitt Smith or any other player, but that being said I still feel it's a fully independent and fair assessment that I'm making in declaring Barry to be the best ever.
      Last edited by The_Strategy_Expert; August 30, 2013, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bimmer84 View Post
        You have strong opinions? Imagine that around here.
        it should work out fine with one. when they flame out after a few mos is the tell tale.
        19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Yep.

Speaking of a few months, it's really pretty amazing that we have all been together this long. Kudos to Deb for putting us up all this time.

Newbies, use the Amazon link to make purchases if you want to make a tangible impression. It helps support this place. Amazon has it all.

Comment

• Welcome, The Strategy Expert. LOVE the name. I'm a non contributing avid reader of gameday threads, mainly due to the reason of knowing absolutely jack-shit about strategies and plays..... Still learning after all these years. But I'm pretty sure your name will ruffle a few feathers and your expert, strategic opinions will no doubt be challenged. I look fwd to reading your views, correct or otherwise, and possible defences during the football season.
            KICK ASS MA SON!
            "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Welcome everyone. I'd like to hear your names...no no, not from you. Marko, I'd like you to tell me what their names are. Cheers.
              2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Strategy_Expert View Post
                Wow I was pretty surprised by you disagreeing, I thought the preface of your statement was surely setting up an agreement lol. I only ever sat in ONE spot in all of the Silverdome games I went to, and I used to go to every single home game except for Thanksgiving Day with my dad. We always purchased the front row or second row in the corner of the upper deck so you were on the corner of the endzone, and it was just a great line of angles to see the whole field and especially when it got loud in there that was the loudest indoor sports stadium in the world, what a magical atmosphere even with a dreadfully losing team. That was a heck of a sweet spot to sit and soak in the spirit of football.

I'm not going to comment much about Ford Field since I don't have anything nice to say and hate almost everything about it even the amenities and operations, and the only positive thing is that it is a "pretty" park just like the "pretty" park where the Tigers play which I hate even more than Ford Field.

And IMO Barry is the best football player in history at any position, and I have seen I believe every snap Barry ever had in the pros as well as his college tape in depth. And I'm never biased in favor of my home-team except for obviously any natural bias from having seen Barry so much and not the same can be said for Emmitt Smith or any other player, but that being said I still feel it's a fully independent and fair assessment that I'm making in declaring Barry to be the best ever.
                My season tickets at the Dome were upper level, 2nd row, 5 yard line, home side.

I agree watching a game from that perspective was very good.

Knowing that the back row in the upper deck of FF is closer to the field than the first row in the upper deck at the Silverdome just makes those of us who always get upper deck seats feel a bit closer to the game.

The forum crew was at the game against Washington where they broke their loosing streak and that place was rockin! Second best football game I have ever been to with the best being Lions vs Dallas playoffs 1991 and kicking serious Cowgirl butt early and often.
                I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by LionsFanInJapan View Post
                  Welcome everyone. I'd like to hear your names...no no, not from you. Marko, I'd like you to tell me what their names are. Cheers.
                  There are no real clues with TSE. But I do think the "Capt Picard" avatar is leading people to think of a "good guy" persona. It may be opposite. Anal Klingon could be more appropriate.

I obviously jest, TSE. But I am looking fwd to possible CB or RY views......, love all that shit.
                  Last edited by Marko69; August 31, 2013, 01:32 PM.
                  "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                    Welcome, The Strategy Expert. LOVE the name. I'm a non contributing avid reader of gameday threads, mainly due to the reason of knowing absolutely jack-shit about strategies and plays..... Still learning after all these years. But I'm pretty sure your name will ruffle a few feathers and your expert, strategic opinions will no doubt be challenged. I look fwd to reading your views, correct or otherwise, and possible defences during the football season.
                    KICK ASS MA SON!
                    Oh ok yeah I have a lot to offer so keep an eye out for me and let's talk some more! Thanks for the warm invite! And my name has been around with me for over 10 years on the Internet across many boards, so a good handful of people on this forum have probably seen me on many other forums over the years. I have a post count of well over 50,000 in aggregate across all sites, so I've been challenged and confronted by literally hundreds of people and pretty used to it.

Comment

• Oh ok yeah I have a lot to offer
                      Oh FFS, get over your bad ass self.

You are a jackoff posting on the internet like the rest of us.

So far the only thing that I have seen you offer is an over-inflated opinion of your opinion
                      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                        There are no real clues with TSE. But I do think the "Capt Picard" avatar is leading people to think of a "good guy" persona. It may be opposite. Anal Klingon could be more appropriate.

I obviously jest, TSE. But I am looking fwd to possible CB or RY views......, love all that shit.
                        RY?

And well speaking of CBs I will say I'm glad they cut Ron Bartell, but I still think the Lions deserve flak for listing him as a starter early in the preseason. That just goes to show you how well we do with CBs. We thought he was going to be a starter and now all of a sudden he gets cut. What happened to all this promise that Bartell had and how he was going to be so great? The Lions are slow to figure out which players aren't very good, the scouting talent on this team is one of our biggest problem areas.

And the Picard avatar I have used for a decade, he's a symbol for a combination of characteristics and attributes that I hold dearly and identify with personally.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                          My season tickets at the Dome were upper level, 2nd row, 5 yard line, home side.

I agree watching a game from that perspective was very good.

Knowing that the back row in the upper deck of FF is closer to the field than the first row in the upper deck at the Silverdome just makes those of us who always get upper deck seats feel a bit closer to the game.

The forum crew was at the game against Washington where they broke their loosing streak and that place was rockin! Second best football game I have ever been to with the best being Lions vs Dallas playoffs 1991 and kicking serious Cowgirl butt early and often.
                          Cool stuff. I have a lot of memories of the Packers torching us, but mainly I just remember all the fantastic runs by Barry. Also I was at the Mike Utley game.

Comment

• It only took 281 posts there. Only about 200 more to go...

The Strategy Expert
                            BANNED

Post Goodbye Everybody!
                            It is with great sadness and displeasure that I have to write this message, but today will be my last day as a proud member of the Lionbacker community.

After my personality on here has proved to be abrasive to others and a little too strong, I have been politely asked to leave by one of the Moderators. Please note that they didn't ban me out in a cold and ruthless fashion without any explanation, rather they politely asked me if I would stop posting, of which I will cooperate with to honor their wishes.

I'd like to say to the Lionbacker community that I am sorry. In fact, I'm very sorry to anybody that had interpreted any of my posts as rude or obnoxious or any other word of negative connotation. That was never my intention. I felt that my style would help to challenge the minds of others and provoke creative thought and enthralling debate that would benefit all, but nevertheless I was wrong, as it just made some people upset and frustrated. That is my mistake and not the fault of anybody else on the site, so I accept that reality now along with the repercussions.

If anybody does have an interest in continuing to chat with me regarding Lions football topics, you are more than welcome to hit me up at RealGM where I talk about all 4 Detroit sports, or LionsUnderground, which I just signed up for today as my new dedicated Lions forum (same screen name for both). I don't chat in very many other places as I like to not be spread too thin and am hoping to find some place that I can really dig into and grow with the community for the long-term. I will definitely not repeat my mistakes in the future, and am sorry that I was not aware of my mistakes here until I made too many.

Again, I hope that nobody has any hard feelings, and as much as some people thought that I was conceited, I do not operate or conduct myself that way. Part of the reason why I chose Lionbacker to be my Lions-forum home is because when I first did my research of forums I saw a lot of potential in a lot of posters here, and I think that the constituency of members here possess fantastic minds and have a tremendous amount of football knowledge/opinions. That proved to be true during my time here. If the quality of the ideas and opinions posted on this site wasn't as strong as it was, I wouldn't have joined here in the first place or bothered to stick around. That is a testament to your great insight that I feel enriched from having assimilated your perspectives.

Thank you for the time and the opportunity to hear what I had to say about a few of my ideas. I will miss you guys a great deal and I will lurk (but not post) here in the future to hear what you guys have to say, so keep up the good work. Now let's hope the Lions can get lots of wins for us all in the future!

GO LIONS!!!
                            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• "I felt that my style would help to challenge the minds of others and provoke creative thought and enthralling debate that would benefit all, but nevertheless I was wrong, as it just made some people upset and frustrated."-TSE

DOUCHE BAG ALERT!

For someone that is an alleged avid sports poster on all things Lions or DET sports related, it is extremely ODD that she hasnt had any luck finding a solid forum to post in.

Like we have for almost 20 years now.

Can you smell the sulpher?
                              19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Strategy_Expert View Post
                                Cool stuff. I have a lot of memories of the Packers torching us, but mainly I just remember all the fantastic runs by Barry. Also I was at the Mike Utley game.
                                I sold my seats to the Packer game and went to Fowlerville to watch it with my neighbor (who was a Yooper and Packer fan).

We looked like mutt and Jeff together.

He is huge and I was the little guy.

Toward the end of the game, a fan wearing a KC jersey tried to get into his face about how the Lions were going to beat Cheesehead ass.

I suggested he wait until the end of the game before taunting my Packer neighbor (who was proudly sporting his GB jersey).

When Sharpe caught the pass in the final moments to win that game, I walked over to the dude and suggested he owes either an apology or a beer for his premature chastising.

He told me to fuck off and I suggested that he is incapable of predicting the outcome of a game as well as being rude to fans of other teams.

He got really belligerent and when I asked him if he was dressed to do oil changes after the game was over, the rest of the table (who were all Lions fans) suggested strongly he should sit down and shut up.

Sorry Gonz, not a knock about KC but, a true story.
                                I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

Working...
                                X