Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL UNHAPPY WITH MISSED OFFSIDE CALL ON FLYERS GOAL

CP 4/12/2012

TORONTO -- Colin Campbell feels the pain of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

The NHL's senior executive vice-president of hockey operations acknowledged Thursday that linesman Tony Sericolo erred in not whistling the play dead prior to Danny Briere's first goal in the opening game of the Penguins-Flyers series.

"There's no other way to explain it but a missed call," Campbell told The Canadian Press in an interview. "We're as upset as Pittsburgh almost. It's a mistake."

Briere scored Philadelphia's first goal on Wednesday night after being sent in on a breakaway by teammate Brayden Schenn. The long pass came immediately after a neutral zone turnover and replays showed that Briere was a couple feet offside.

The play started a big comeback for the Flyers, who erased a three-goal deficit and beat Pittsburgh 4-3 in overtime. However, the Penguins didn't use it as an excuse for their collapse.

"That's not why we lost the game," coach Dan Bylsma said after the game.

Campbell believes that Sericolo was in position to make the right call but failed to do so because of how quickly the play went from one end of the ice to the other. It appeared as though the linesman considered blowing the play dead just before indicating it was onside.

"It was a quick turnaround," said Campbell. "You can see it was a quick 70-foot pass -- the linesman was up with the play and then had to move quickly back and he saw it from the angle he saw it from.

"But still his job is to get the right call and he didn't."

Sericolo is a veteran linesman with more than 800 games of NHL experience dating back to October 1998. He was among 40 officials -- 20 referees and 20 linesmen -- selected to be part of the pool for playoff assignments.

The blown call could affect how director of officiating Terry Gregson makes staffing decisions moving forward, according to Campbell.

"There's always fallout," he said. "The referees and the linesmen are judged on the work they do as far as how they advance in doing games. If mistakes are made, no matter how difficult they are, there's got to be decisions made on who advances."

A message for Gregson wasn't immediately returned.
    ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• It's what Pittsburgh does best....whine.

Comment

• Woah, woah Tony, why so sensitive?
        Civiliazation does not exist in that state west of the Tennessee River
        Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Gutless, but not surprising: Predators' Shea Weber escapes suspension.

Not even Shanahan can escape the pathetic malfeasance off ass hole Bettman. Weber was penalized two minutes at the final horn, and fined $2,500 by Shanny for blows to the head. Why the fuck even take that job if you cant execute what is required here, a suspension!.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz1rrUIhJ3a

Comment

• Comment

• By the time Shanny got to the wings he was far less likely to drop the gloves. After the first cup he eased off on the forecheck too.
              Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• By the time Shanny got to the wings he was far less likely to drop the gloves.

Wrong, Shanahan was never looked at like a goon, policemen or whatever. He was a goal scoring tough forward was wasn't scared to drop the gloves if needed.

It to bad Shanny has turned into a is a corporate kiss ass like Campbell before him. I liked him a lot as a player who would have stood up to this BS. Penatlys after the whistle blows in the playoffs should carry over, still only a 2 min here???

Comment

• It was an obvious attempt to injure.

Comment

• Especially in a League that's supposed to be concerned about concussions.

Comment

• If he were a Red Wing, he'd be suspended for the remainder of the series.

Bettman wants the Red Wings out.
                      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Wrong, Shanahan was never looked at like a goon, policemen or whatever.
                        I didn't say he was an enforcer. But back in his earlier days he'd drop the gloves. His PIM went from 200-175 w/ st. louis to 125-100 w/the wings

Comment

• I have yet to watch, read, or listen to anyone in the world of sports, who doesn't think that Weber should have been suspended....except for OP. He's a trailblazer! :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                            Gutless, but not surprising: Predators' Shea Weber escapes suspension.

Not even Shanahan can escape the pathetic malfeasance off ass hole Bettman. Weber was penalized two minutes at the final horn, and fined $2,500 by Shanny for blows to the head. Why the fuck even take that job if you cant execute what is required here, a suspension!.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz1rrUIhJ3a
                            Yes, it is tragic and often the case when the Officials only catch and penalize the retaliation. If you actually watch the entire series, Zitterburger comes in with an effeminate crosscheck to the back of Weber. The stallion defensemen spins and dispenses justice. Referee penalizes him 2 minutes, League adds $2500 fine, cut and dry. Wonderful act by Zitterburger, falling, shaking his head, not sure how he kept a straight-face?

[youtube]SyJB42HY_J0[/youtube]
                            Last edited by Optimus Prime; April 12, 2012, 05:40 PM.
                            ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• I didn't say he was an enforcer. But back in his earlier days he'd drop the gloves. His PIM went from 200-175 w/ st. louis to 125-100 w/the wings

All players who are not afraid to drop the gloves PIM go down the older they get.

Zitterburger comes in with an effeminate crosscheck to the back of Weber.
                              You call that a crosscheck??? Barely touched him

Comment

• This is the first time I have ever heard Babcock complain about the officials. Usually, the interviews with coaches during the game are as dull and uninformative as coaches get. They make it look like the chore that it is and usually have nothing but generics and clich?s to say.

Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock didn't give one of those bland interviews on Wednesday during Game 1 against the Predators, a 3-2 loss. I think me and Babs have finally hit are boiling point with morons!

[YOUTUBE]RAUR-BINbNI[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Working...
                                X