No announcement yet.

U of M MEN'S BASKETBALL: 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, he looks like a big tailor made for JB. The handle and agility are impressive for tall kid like that, though the foot speed is iffy.

Comment

Michigan Basketball: Brazdeikis Standing Out On The World Stage
      Chris Balas • TheWolverine.com
      Don't miss out on any of our exclusive football, basketball and recruiting coverage. Click here to get your 30-day free trial!

Michigan signee Ignas “Iggy” Brazdeikis is in Portland, Ore. this week for the Nike Hoops Summit … and he’s tearing it up.

RANK
      N/A

-

NATIONAL

-

STATE

-

POSITION
      IGNAS
      BRAZDEIKIS
      6'8" | 200 LBS | SF
      ORANGEVILLE PREP
      MONO, ON
      CLASS OF 2018

VERBAL COMMIT
      9/22/2017
      MICHIGAN
      Ptyxhv5d5ixvbrxfagfp
      Ignas Brazdeikis is a perfect fit at Michigan.
      Courtesy of USA Basketball/Cameron Browne
      Brazdeikis had an outstanding practice Wednesday for the World team, Rivals.com’s Eric Bossi reported, and one scout predicted he’d “shoot 60 times a game in this event.”

In other words, he’s not shy, and he shouldn’t be. He’s a gifted scorer who expects to wear Moritz Wagner’s number next year (if Wagner leaves for the NBA, as expected), but he tries to emulate someone else on the court.

"I definitely model my game after Gordon Hayward," he said of the former Butler standout and Michigan recruit, now with the Utah Jazz.. "I feel like me and him are similar players in terms of being able to attack, shoot and make plays."

Brazdeikis told USA Today playing in the NBA has been a dream of his since he was six years old, and players like former U-M standout Nik Stauskas believe it’s only a matter of time. Brazdeikis averaged 32 points per game at Orangeville Prep this year, won MVPs at too many tournaments to mention and is an elite scorer.

“He looked like the World team's best shooter,” Bossi reported from the event. “The Canadian is a strong and skilled offensive player who can stretch defenses and his 6-foot-7, 225-pound frame allows him to be a good post scorer as well. He looks like he should be ready to step right in and play important minutes for the Wolverines.”

Thirteen players taken in last year's NBA Draft participated in the Nike Hoop Summit, and Brazdeikis figures to be among them in the next few years.

He has plenty to accomplish at Michigan before he goes, he told OregonLIve.com.

"I feel like coach [John] Beilein deserves a national championship, being a runner-up twice, as well as the Michigan program and Michigan fans. They definitely deserve a ring," he said.

He watched the tournament run closely, even jumping off the couch and running around his house when freshman Jordan Poole hit the game winning shot in the round of 32 to beat Houston.

"Coach Beilein's just such a trustworthy guy," Brazdeikis said. "I was really proud, every single game, knowing I'm going to be putting on that uniform next year.” He was also confident enough to believe he could have helped the Wolverines beat Villanova in the title game, a 79-62 loss.

“I was literally sitting on the couch, trying to do moves,” he laughed. “It’s like, ‘Put me in, coach!’ I felt like they were missing me. I felt like I could have helped.

“But it was amazing to watch them go that far, seeing them play so unselfishly.”

He’ll be part of it starting this June. Tonight, though, you can catch him in action on ESPN2 at 10:00 playing for Team Canada.

Comment

"I definitely model my game after Gordon Hayward," he said of the former Butler standout and Michigan recruit, now with the Utah Jazz
        Really?

Comment

Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
          Really?
          Well, to be fair, he played many more games in Utah in 2017 than in Boston.:D

Hopefully, Balas will edit and update.

Comment

Yeah, I messaged him on that one. Obviously not an NBA fan, that Balas.

Comment

I was thinking, if this upcoming team is as strong defensively as they were in '17-'18, Coach Yak will be landing a HC gig after the season. We'd better get the most out of him now.

Comment

Thinking the D will be similar.
                Part of the question is how the 2 spot is filled in 2018/2019. MAAR played the most minutes (34+ per game) and very well on D. Solid all around.
                With Z, Matthews, Livers (yes, could be pushed for minutes), and possibly Mo back... that’s 4/5 of the starters. Like you said, having Yak back for one more year is significant.
                If Mo leaves, Teske is better on D. Mo did grow so much in that area throughout the season. Isn’t like I’m worried about the D at 5 anymore.
                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

I don't think that Mo is enough of a difference maker to be the difference between Top 15 and Top 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                    I don't think that Mo is enough of a difference maker to be the difference between Top 15 and Top 5.
                    We'll see. He's so much more gifted on offense than Teske is likely to ever be. However, guys like Iggy, Johns, Livers, and maybe even Castleton, could make up for some of the loss of frontcourt points.

Comment

Moe 100% is the difference between those 2.

Comment

I don't know if he'll ever be a great pro, but he certainly is the kind of college player that can be Player of the Year as a senior.

Comment

Mo played some awfully good post D down the stretch. Getting him back would be just huge.

Comment

If he has 5 strength in the NBA he's got a shot at being a starter. If not, he'll be a decent bench/mismatch guy.

Comment

I'm not holding my breath on him coming back anyway.

Comment

I'm trying my best, but with every day's delay my hopes rise. What's he got to think about? This isn't a new decision-making process.

He's never going to be a shotblocker, but with the way he was guarding the post by year's end, he was no longer a defensive minus.

Comment

Working...
                                X