Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWIW, I'd like to retain this discussion for '13 Recruiting if a moderator can rename the discussion appropriately (e.g. Football Recruiting Discussion)...

Its still really early for '13 recruiting, it'll start putting my emphasis there when the coaches and recruits do the same. Class of '13 recruiting will certainly start much earlier than the class of '12, which will pay dividends for M. Schools like Texas benefit tremendously when they are able to recruit for their next recruiting class when all their competition is scrambling to fill their current recruiting class. With Hoke, Mattison, Hoke's staff and potentially scholarship reductions for Ohio, M has a chance to recruit at a very high level in the future.

M still needs top talent to be developed in the state of Michigan, which imo is one of the downfalls of M football in past 5-6 years; a lot of Lloyd's & RR's subpar, awful and mediocre recruiting classes from '05 - '11 imo is the result of a lack of in-state talent along with the slimy JT choosing pretty much anyone in Ohio he wanted. The Talent was absolutely right when he stated, M was getting Tressel's leftovers, except for a few exceptions he was dead-on. State of Michigan's class of '12 has a tremendous amount of in-state talent and Hoke is really taking advantage of it and more importantly, targeting the right talented players in Michigan/Ohio and they'll have a top 6-8 recruiting class at seasons end.

Comment

• Dodson is a 'loss', he's a guy who I like more than his rivals recruiting ranking unlike say Diamond whose a big guy that doesn't dominate his opponents as much as he should. M did really well in landing Magnuson, a potential 5-star tackle. They are still in on Kalis (potential 5-star), Diamond (4-star) and already have Braden (whom I like), though I think there is a good chance Braden moves inside...

Evan Boehm OG (4*, from Missouri) is on my recruiting board but he's favoring the schools in the plains; Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa, Oklahoma and such...

Paul Thurston OG/OT (4*, from Colorado) is likely to decide in July. M's competition is expected to be ND, Nebraska , UCLA and Colorado. Tough competition and he's not tipped his hands about any of those he's favoring.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
        Rivals ranked pretty much all of M's 3-stars very highly, most of them are on the verge of 4-star status and several of them are likely to get bumped up with a strong senior season...

I really dislike the 'star' rating system as imo sometimes a 3-star is really close to a 4-star but much, much superior to most other 3-stars... I tend to call recruits 'strong' 3-stars or middling 3-stars. M signed far too many of the latter in the '11 recruiting class, guys who imo are likely to be leapfrogged by recruits in the '12 recruiting class. I expect a lot of position switches and transfers from the '11 recruiting class after they get stuck behind guys with less eligibility on the depth chart.
        I completely agree. Michigan definitely reached on a number of players in the '11 recruiting class, taking kids that the new staff would probably not had considered the caliber of player they wanted. If '12 recruiting is any indicator as to what to expect from UM's classes in the future, I expect to see position switching and transfers as well, as kids from the past couple of classes will get "jumped" on the depth chart.

Comment

• Originally posted by geo weidl View Post
          I believe we just missed out on Dodson OL last night to wisconsin?
          It sure sounds that way. While I don't love him going to Wisconsin, it's better than Ohio or Sparty.

Ohio really has a bumper crop of kids this year. The 'Nuts are going to be in damage control mode for the 2012 recruiting season and they will definitely feel that pain on NSD. Never mind the grease fire that they have to deal with regarding the NCAA and sanctions. When you can't tell kids who the head coach will be for five months, it's going to wreak havoc on recruiting. I love it.

Comment

• When you can't tell kids who the head coach will be for five months, it's going to wreak havoc on recruiting.
            I think its having an effect already, and will likely have an effect on the 2013 class as well. The longer that OLieO takes to decide who their coach is, the more it affects their future classes. Just like it did with us.
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I wonder...if Fickell is not retained as HC after 2011, and they sign someone else, will that new coach keep Fickell on as an assistant?

That's a tough situation to be in for any new coach, and Fickell. It's not as if Fickell will be totally responsible if osu sucks this year. I mean, he'll be partly responsible as HC, but the deck is staffed for the guy, that's for sure.

Comment

• Strong recruiting this weekend with teammates Washington SDE & Stanford WR visiting along with offensive linemen: Jordan Diamond and possibly Andrus Peat...

Diamond might be close to a decision while Washington/Stanford should give us more clues to where they are leaning after their visit. Stanford/Washington would like to be a package deal but are willing to go their own ways.

Comment

• Pittman DE to MSU. M doing so well at DE, not a huge loss as they were slow playing him as they had a DE or 2 on their board they liked more and fit them better; e.g. Adolphus Washington fits better as a SDE and M is pretty happy with its WDE's, which is likely Pittman's future position.

Comment

• Yeah but Washington and stanford didn't make it this weekend. :(
                    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• We'll get a better feel for Stanford/Washington after they visit. Doesn't sound too promising with them delaying visits to take visits elsewhere but remember Wormley is likely to end up in this class, he's a SDE/DT type like Godin... M's/Mattison's 4-3 under defense imo is really a 5-man front against the run and subs a LB for a CB (nickel) in passing situations. The DT, NT and SDE are really all tackles (280+ lbs) with the WDE and SAM being ends...

Inside information is M 'backed-off' on Pittman when he seemed ready to commit, like I said about a week ago, they better have good confidence in landing other players as turning down a talent like Pittman and allowing him to go to one of your rivals isn't a good move unless you have as good or better options.

Comment

• Sounds like Diamond OL wants to take some officials but M is very comfortably in the lead. His mind maybe already made up and just wants the 'vacations'/official visits.

Comment

• DE Se'Von Pittman is reported by posters at Rivals to have committed to MSU today.

The sense is that he may have had some academic issues - workable but maybe not for M. As well chances for playing time for Pittman at M were diminishing. Most see this as a good get for MSU and good for Pittman.

DE recruits Wormley and Washington will be competing for the last DE spot in the 2011 class. Most feel M will get one of those players.
                          There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Sounds like Diamond OL wants to take some officials but M is very comfortably in the lead. His mind maybe already made up and just wants the 'vacations'/official visits.
                            I hope so. This guy can really play ball. And he's the prototypical Michigan lineman.
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Wormley is the lowest rated of the bunch. Are the coaches that high on him?

If we lost Pittman's number, I hope that Wormley isn't the only blue-chipper that we feel good about.
                              Last edited by Hannibal; June 20, 2011, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• I don't see Wormley on any Top 100 or Top 250 lists. Why so high on him and turn away Pittman?
                                I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

Working...
                                X