Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
    Good summary of Trump's vocal base, uneducated whites who blame their issues on government, immigrants, and anything but themselves... He still has more support from religious educated whites than he should.
    Just like a liberal to condescend by characterizing Trump's base as uneducated. This is just an ignorant statement. Let's see, under Obama's leadership we had 8 consecutive years of sub-par economic growth as measured by GDP, the national debt grew more under his leadership (exponentially so) and he authored the most disastrous health care plan that is financially ruining many families, including my son's who is a college educated project manager for a large firm in my state. I am 59 and my son is 33. My income at age 33 was eaten up far less by taxes and healthcare costs than a 33 year old today. And you wonder why Trump was elected? Are you really an advocate for continuing with the status quo?

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by maxreturn View Post
        Just like a liberal to condescend by characterizing Trump's base as uneducated. This is just an ignorant statement.......
        You have to understand the concept of "The White Minstrel" to understand the point. I don't think the author is saying that at all.

Rap. Tupak Shakur, Ice-T are not at all like their performing personas. They are well educated actors making big money doing songs that appeal to their base of music listeners by glamorizing criminal stereotypes of black men. That's what minstrels are. They are actors typically presenting stereotypes sometimes for political purposes but more often to sell their performances to listeners sympathetic to their message. Most are not black criminals.

The White Minstrel in this article is Trump. His message appeals to the stereotypical image of the white underclass - uneducated, poor and finding himself in such straits mostly as a result of the poor choices he makes. Trump is a good actor he surmises selling his message to listeners sympathetic to it. Again, most are not poor whites.

The author makes it clear that circumstances, which the white underclass has no control over, play a role in creating that class. Still there is large number of white voters who are educated and well-off that empathize with the struggling white underclass. They vote for Trump.
        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
          Hillary didn't refer to half the country as deplorables. She referred to the deplorable bigots as deplorable. Because they are. If you aren't one of those things, wonderful. You weren't included. The fact that you think you were may be cause for soul searching.
          "you can put half of Trump's supporters into what I like to call the basket of deplorables"

If you think that there are 31,000,000 bigots in this country, it clearly says more about you than me.

Comment

• :::fart noise:::
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Decreasing support if the polls are to be believed and of course the indoctrinated MAGA crowd will tell us that the polls aren't reliable until ballot results start piling in.

Regardless, my hope is that educated voters everywhere that once supported DJT are seeing they are getting more bad than good from him.
              The polls are indeed unreliable. And as actual "results start piling in", to use your phrase, Trump-supported candidates are winning overwhelmingly. Look at the scoreboard. Trump is winning in actual elections unless you view Judge Moore as a defeat for Trump. The actual electorate in Alabama is to te right of Trump.

I didn't vote for Trump, but "educated voters" like me want to give him a chance. So far, he has stopped the Democrats from declaring the Constitution unconstitutional. That alone is enough to get my vote in 2020.
              Last edited by Da Geezer; October 22, 2017, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• It's hilarious irony when a prog points out how uneducated white folks blame everyone else and take no responsibility. Heh.

I'm all for personal responsibility and taking agency over your life. But I don't limit it by race or gender.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                  It's hilarious irony when a prog points out how uneducated white folks blame everyone else and take no responsibility. Heh.

I'm all for personal responsibility and taking agency over your life. But I don't limit it by race or gender.
                  What'd you think of Williamson's piece?

Comment

• Short clip of McCain talking about Vietnam. After about the 1:55 mark, he is almost certainly taking a shot at Trump

[ame]https://twitter.com/cspanhistory/status/922175734180872192[/ame]

Comment

• Williamson was in desperate need of an editor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                        What'd you think of Williamson's piece?
                        Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                        Williamson was in desperate need of an editor.
                        Yep. Get to the point sometime in this lifetime...

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                        Short clip of McCain talking about Vietnam. After about the 1:55 mark, he is almost certainly taking a shot at Trump

https://twitter.com/cspanhistory/sta...75734180872192
                        Shots fired!
                        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Agree on the need for an editor. I think there was a lot of points that struck me as true, but they were so buried in bullshitting that it was hard to really analyze it.
                          To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Trump promises to not go after 401k's. Good deal, if he keeps his promise.

Can he restrain himself from attacking Johnson's widow?

Comment

• DSL:

Thank you for the link. I would have read it sooner or later, but I'm glad you read it. I agree that that it could have been pared back, but I'm certainly to going to ignore the substance of it because the form wasn't entirely up to to snuff. It's also worth noting that the audience is very much conservatives. His core point, while fairly straight-forward, requires (at least in his opinion), a lot of effort to make that audience see it clearly. If he were writing to progs, then he could have just tweeted "poor white people need to take agency for their lives" and been harrumphed out the ass.

Look, I agree with almost everything in there. He is absolutely and totally a personal responsibility guy. I didn't know his back story, but now that I do, I totally get it. I'm glad that wasn't edited out. I cosign his concluding paragraph entirely and broad application to all poor folks:

Feeding such people the lie that their problems are mainly external in origin — that they are the victims of scheming elites, immigrants, black welfare malingerers, superabundantly fecund Mexicans, capitalism with Chinese characteristics, Walmart, Wall Street, their neighbors — is the political equivalent of selling them heroin. (And I have no doubt that it is mostly done for the same reason.) It is an analgesic that is unhealthy even in small doses and disabling or lethal in large ones. The opposite message — that life is hard and unfair, that what is not necessarily your fault may yet be your problem, that you must act and bear responsibility for your actions — is what conservatism used to offer, before it became a white-minstrel show. It is a sad spectacle, but I do have some hope that the current degraded state of the conservative movement will not last forever.
                              The bolded, in particular, I could scarcely agree with more.

Now, both agree with and disagree with this sentiment:

The more you know about that world, the less sympathetic you’ll be to it.
                              So, he's saying, I think, that the folks who are poor are, more or less, poor because of their decisions, not some sort of outlier tragedy. And that's right. But, they are, in in large part, decent people. At least where I grew up. So maybe unsympathetic but empathetic. I dunno.

When I talk about the Ds actively pushing away/ignore flyover white voters, I'm talking politics. In terms of policy there things I could support, but measured responses keeping very much in mind that it's eventually their problem to solve. Horseshit protectionism isn't one such measure.
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• well, the lions showed up this weekend in
                                "u of m" uniforms

Comment

Working...
                                X