DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM   #1461
Mainevent

Davenport’s workout was as good or better than Chubb’s. Both are good not nuclear athletes on the level of a Clowney or Garrett. The difference of course is that Chubb is a master technician and has done it against ACC competition.

The crazy athletes at the position are Sweat and Carter, though neither have put up production to match it.
Mainevent is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM   #1462
Cody_Russell

Terrell Edmunds, Trumaine's brother, is rising up boards apparently. Terrell has been a day 2 prospect for most of the draft process. Good for the Lions because Terrell will be a SS and the Lions have no need for that. FS (Glover Quin's future replacement) is the type of safety the Lions would draft.

Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM   #1463
Nick Pappageorgio

The thing with Davenport (as I see it)....

It’s hard to see what’s there. Even his coaches thus far hadn’t really known what to do with him. He was a WR in HS....his college coaches put him at LB for his first years as a player before deciding he was such a liability in coverage that they only wanted him to rush the passer....so he hasn’t played long at DE and really has limited technique.

He plays fast for a big man, you can see it on tape, but was playing against inferior talent who could become overwhelmed by his size/speed ratio. He comes off as a speed rusher only without a quick first step.

His altheticism is really quite average. I’m not going to go as far as Gonz and call him soft....but looking at him (the eyeball test) his lower half is awful thin and it showed in his vertical jump (a huge indicator of explosiveness).

Still there’s something there....the major problem is that he might be almost done with his first contract before he shows it. Right now....he doesn’t have the technique to be an effective speed rusher, isn’t powerful enough in his lower body to produce much of a bull-rush, and his size/speed ratio isn’t going to overwhelm anyone at the next level....oh and he can’t cover worth a shit and isn’t a great run stuffer, so he’s not versatile at all.

He’s got potential as a pass rusher but I think he’s two full seasons away from realizing it. No player who’s two years away is worth a 1st rd pick.
Nick Pappageorgio is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM   #1464
Masspartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainevent View Post
Davenport’s workout was as good or better than Chubb’s. Both are good not nuclear athletes on the level of a Clowney or Garrett. The difference of course is that Chubb is a master technician and has done it against ACC competition.

The crazy athletes at the position are Sweat and Carter, though neither have put up production to match it.
If the Lions go Guice early .... I'm hoping for Sweat in the 4th. Probably optimistic.
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #1465
Whitley

Your score is: 21692 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 20: Payne, DaRon, DT, Alabama (A+)
Round 2 Pick 25 (TENN): Green, Rasheem, DE, Southern California (A)
Round 3 Pick 18: Penny, Rashaad, RB, San Diego State (A+)
Round 3 Pick 25 (TENN): Cain, Deon, WR, Clemson (A)
Round 3 Pick 32 (BUF): Thomas, Ian, TE, Indiana (A+)
Round 4 Pick 17: Warner, Fred, OLB, Brigham Young (A+)
Round 5 Pick 16: Hill, Holton, CB, Texas (A+)
Round 7 Pick 19: ODaniel, Dorian, OLB, Clemson (A+)
Old Today, 07:49 AM   #1466
Futureshock

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/marcus...9-f09cd314cad6
MARCUS DAVENPORT

Prospect Grade
CHANCE TO BECOME NFL STARTER

Quote:
Strengths
  • Long-levered with a frame proven to add weight
  • Has good quickness in lateral slides down the line of scrimmage to close out running lanes
  • Aggressive demeanor as a hitter
  • Will unload with force from his hips and Wrap up carriers
  • Drives through the target
  • Plays with fluid directional change to alter his path to the ball when getting downhill
  • Uses length to work to the edge of pass rushers
  • Has tools and traits to get much better as a pass rusher with more hand work and coaching
  • Will flash translatable speed-to-power potential that can be high-end
  • Can throw combos with his hands to disorient offensive tackles
  • Able to set a good edge when he gets arm extension
  • Will likely be too much for tight ends to handle when as he continues to improve

Weaknesses
  • Plays with elevated pad level
  • Slow to gather weight and change directions when tackling in open space
  • Has delayed acceleration in his pursuit and is unable to consistently close out runs to the perimeter
  • Needs a runway to get to top speed
  • Allows blockers into his frame more than he should
  • Needs to learn to slip contact rather than taking everything on
  • Instincts are below average and he's slow to find the ball on play-action
  • Needs to do a better job of getting hands and feet working in unison
  • Tight-hipped as a rusher and more straight-linish than an edge trimmer
  • Could struggle to cover if asked to drop into space
Old Today, 09:18 AM   #1467
Cody_Russell

If the Lions don’t get Landry in the 1st, Rutgers Kemoko Turay is a day 2 possibility I’m hearing more of.
Explosive edge rusher that needs some development... the type of talent that day 2 worthy.
Turay will probably be picked by NE because they have all of the Rutgers NFL players basically.
Old Today, 09:56 AM   #1468
Futureshock

This could have been written about the Lions. Ironically, they pick before the Lions

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...aft/537638002/

Did the Packers miss out on landing an impact edge rusher in draft?

Quote:
GREEN BAY – A year ago, as opponents around the NFL were stocking up on edge rushers, the Green Bay Packers stayed patient.

Despite a glaring need, they didn’t draft an edge rusher until the first pick on the third day. Vince Biegel, the 108th overall pick and fourth selection by the Packers, missed half his rookie season recovering from foot surgery. He didn’t record a single sack, far from the edge-rushing production the Packers needed from the draft.

Meanwhile, much of the league was not so patient. Seven edge rushers were drafted in the first round, including two of the top three picks. It was the start of what became a trend.

“I think the edge-rushing class is down this year,” NFL draft analyst Mike Mayock said. “I thought it was up last year. I think there were 17 edge rushers taken a year ago. There’s an average of 11. I think people saw this coming a little bit and went heavy on the edge rushers last year.”

Everyone, perhaps, except the Packers.
AND the Lions!

Quote:
“What you hit on,” NFL draft analyst and former college scout Daniel Jeremiah said, “is the debate that's taking place: Is it Marcus Davenport, or are you going to go with Harold Landry? What do you prefer there? To me, Davenport is not as polished as Landry as a rusher, but he's bigger, he's longer, he's more explosive.”
I think they're going Landry.
Old Today, 10:13 AM   #1469
Futureshock

“Wavy” MRI at Combine forces Rasheem Green to show his knee is fine
Posted by Mike Florio on April 23, 2018, 10:00 AM EDT

As the draft approaches, it’s important for all teams to have accurate information about all prospects. Toward that end, former USC defensive end Rasheem Green has provided accurate information about his health to all teams. Specifically, about his left knee.

Green suffered a torn ACL in the left knee during high school. He had reconstructive surgery, along with a subsequent a cleanup procedure performed by the USC team doctor.

At the Scouting Combine, an MRI performed on the left knee showed that the new ACL was “wavy.” During his visits to NFL teams (per a source with knowledge of the situation, Green visited the Patriots, Lions, Seahawks, Chargers, Rams), doctors concluded that both knees were equally stable. Dr. Ed Khalfayan, the Seahawks team physician, opted to perform a new MRI, because Dr. Khalfayan sensed that there was a problem with the MRI from the Scouting Combine. The new MRI performed in Seattle showed the knee to be intact.

Green thereafter visited Dr. Walter R. Lowe in Houston, who determined that the left knee was actually tighter than the uninjured knee. Dr. Lowe interpreted the Seattle MRI to show that the repaired ACL remains in place.

“Overall, he is stable and performing at a very high level on objective functional test,” Dr. Lowe writes in a letter that has been sent to all teams. “I have NOT graded him as high risk for the purpose of our pre-draft evaluations. Anyone with questions about his combine studies should view his new 3T MRI from Seattle done last week.”

Green had private workouts, according to the source, with the Saints, Texans, Patriots, and Bills.

In the letter sent to all teams, Green’s agents explain that he missed no games or practices at USC due to the knee, and that it essentially was a non-issue until the “wavy” MRI was generated at the Scouting Combine.

So what happened? Dr. Khalfayan thinks Green moved his knee while in the MRI machine.

Green is regarded as a likely second-round pick. He’s currently No. 5 on Mike Mayock’s list of top edge rushers.
Old Today, 10:32 AM   #1470
Futureshock

I expect either of:

1. Landry
2. Payne/Vea
3. Bryan
4. Hernandez
5. Vander Esch

I don't expect Landry or Payne to be there at #20. Davenport isn't going to be there either. So it comes down to Bryan, Hernandez or Vander Esch.

Bryan and Vander Esch have some versatility in being able to play multiple spots and do multiple things.

Hernandez is good at LG. But he is a great run mauler. When asked to block one guy he can set in and get em blocked. Not so hot on his ability to move though. It seems when he has to pull or move and find a guy on the second level, he sometimes picks the wrong guy. He mauls the guy he picks, but he guy he should have blocked makes the play. Not killing the kid, I just don't have him rated as high as the others on the list. But, I wouldn't be surprised.

What has come to be true with BQ is that from the beginning he will say what he's going to do. From that point there's a lot of talk and bandying about other positions, etc.. Then we get lost and forgot what he originally said.

He then selects a guy from that same narrative he said originally.

This year it's "fixing the running game" which would lend you to believe it's a G or RB (Guice, Michel).

But MP wants the inside-out thing. Which would make one think of Bryan.
Old Today, 10:55 AM   #1471
Futureshock

NFL Rumors

Quote:
There are a number of teams picking in the top 20 of the second round that are looking to add talent at running back. Fortunately for those teams there are some excellent running back prospects who should be available in the opening frame of the draft's second night. Two players who may or may not be available are Georgia's Sony Michel and LSU's Derrius Guice. Both of them have a shot at being late first-round picks. Sources say it is 50-50 that Michel goes in Round 1, and the odds are slightly lower for Guice.

Michel and Guice could be off the board in the first five picks of the second round, but in speaking to some of the teams that are hoping to land a running back, they feel that there are other prospects who could be worthy of going in that range. Georgia's Nick Chubb and San Diego State's Rashaad Penny are both said to be worthy of high second-rounders according to sources at multiple teams. USC's Ronald Jones is as well, depending on the team. Between Michel, Guice, Jones, Chubb and Penny, there is likely to be a run on halfbacks in picks No. 30-50.

Two of those teams that are in the running back market are the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Washington Redskins. In speaking to sources at both of those teams, they like Chubb and Penny. If they miss out on Michel and Guice they still have good options available in those two. Chubb and Penny are options for each team's second-rounder. Jones is also in play for Washington.

Read more: http://www.walterfootball.com/NFLHotPress#ixzz5DVmP6zZU

Read more at http://www.walterfootball.com/NFLHot...e2CDzRSjSDD.99
Old Today, 11:28 AM   #1472
Futureshock

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ider/34163541/

Here are 5 3-round draft scenarios Lions could consider

I like #5
Old Today, 11:43 AM   #1473
Cody_Russell

#5, #1, and #2 are all good. Not a fan of #4. Nathan Shepherd is like the lesser DT version of Marcus Davenport. Guice? We don’t need him at pick #20.
Lol hey now, there is that Harrison Phillips 3rd Round projection again. I’m not that crazy.
Objectively, sounds like Phillips is a safe bet for 2nd Round.

Last edited by Cody_Russell; Today at 11:45 AM.
Cody_Russell is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old Today, 11:59 AM   #1474
Mainevent

If the Lions pick a G in round 1, my money is on Daniels or even Wynn. Not only do they fit the mold of top level players from top level programs/conferences, but both players offer versatility that Hernandez does not.
Mainevent is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old Today, 12:02 PM   #1475
Futureshock

Your score is: 23570 (GRADE: A+)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 31 (N.E.): Price, Billy, C/OG, Ohio State (A-)
Round 2 Pick 19: Michel, Sony, RB, Georgia (A)
Round 2 Pick 23 (CAR): Hurst, Hayden, TE, South Carolina (B+)
Round 2 Pick 29 (JAX): Sutton, Courtland, WR, Southern Methodist (A)
Round 2 Pick 31 (N.E.): Oliver, Isaiah, CB, Colorado (A)
Round 3 Pick 18: Hill, BJ, DT, North Carolina State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 1 (G.B.): Hall, PJ, DT/DE, Sam Houston State (A)
Round 4 Pick 17: Bates III, Jessie, FS, Wake Forest (A+)
Round 4 Pick 25 (TENN): McIntosh, RJ, DT, Miami (FL) (A+)
Round 4 Pick 35 (LAR): Victor, Azeem, ILB, Washington (A)
Round 5 Pick 1 (G.B.): Hill, Holton, CB, Texas (A)
Round 5 Pick 17 (BALT): Haynes, Marquis, OLB/DE, Mississippi (A+)
Round 6 Pick 21 (LAR): Weathersby, Toby, OT, LSU (A+)
Round 7 Pick 19: Wallace, Levi, CB, Alabama (A)
Old Today, 12:04 PM   #1476
Futureshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainevent View Post
If the Lions pick a G in round 1, my money is on Daniels or even Wynn. Not only do they fit the mold of top level players from top level programs/conferences, but both players offer versatility that Hernandez does not.
Yup.

He could be Incognito or ManRam