No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been using RIO players way before Apple came out with the IPOD. IPOD is all hype.

The Baltimore Science Museuem rent outs Segways. I think its $10 for a 10 minute ride. I have yet to try it myself. I have something called a bicycle that I ride around on.

Comment

IPods are multi format compatable - You can either use MP3 or thier proprietary format. Keep in mind though, MP3 format results in larger files than the proprietary format.

Also, next time you go to the store, take a look at the # of after market accessories that are offered for IPod and then try to find the after market accessories for Creative Zen.
      Last edited by dwt1; November 30, 2006, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by unknown lions fan View Post
        I don't know about the Zen - I believe it plays MP3s, but I wouldn't touch one of those IPods and their proprietary format with at ten foot pole. F that.
        QFMFT

My peer bought the Zen for his daughter and apparently it's been a great unit.

The Ipod is all about fashion. The biggest problem with them IMO is that they don't tend to support subscription services like Yahoo music unlimited. If you plan on using any subscription service, I recommend you check into which players are compatible.

If I were in the market I'd probably go for the Zen Vision:M myself but I have a PocketPC phone that does all that stuff already.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
          you can rip cd's and put them on an iPod. You do have to use iTunes to manage your music though.
          Yeah and it sucks.

Originally posted by dwt1 View Post
          IPods are multi format compatable - You can either use MP3 or thier proprietary format. Keep in mind though, MP3 format results in larger files than the proprietary format.

Also, next time you go to the store, take a look at the # of after market accessories that are offered for IPod and then try to find the after market accessories for Creative Zen.
          They are multi-format, but limited multi-format. Zen are compatible with 3 times the compatible formats, a radio, a recorder, Outlook contacts and has a better screen for video. I found a deal the ends today for about $215.

Also I agree about the acceriosies. However at some point the acceriuos are just useless. I need a set of portable speaks and the A/V wire. Everything else ifs all fluff and there is no way I am going to pay $200 so my Ipod can dock on my alarm clock. Furthermore any decent accessory will also include a aux plug that will connect to other mp3 players.

Comment

You guys checked out the prices on smaller flat screens lately? It's pretty funny.

The 42" plasmas are pretty easy to find now at $1499.

I was looking for something in a 27" or 32" for our bedroom. Of course, a 27" widescreen is about as tall as a 19" standard screen - so it's not a real big TV.

They're still at least $1000, most closer to $1200 - when you can get a 42" for $1499. I guess there's just not enough production on the smaller units yet.

So I picked up a cheap-ass Meijer store brand 20" low-res TV for $85 (stereo, 2 sets of video jacks including S-video.)

Pretty good deal. I just need it to last a few years until I can get a 32" flat screen for $300 or so.
            The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

Here you go, Dave...

Analyst: 70-Inch LCDs 'The Right Size' In 2009
              PCMag is your complete guide to computers, peripherals and upgrades. We test and review tech products and services, report technology news and trends, and provide shopping advice with price comparisons.
              #birdsarentreal

Comment

I owned a shitload of shares I bought in Corning @ $2.11 each after the fall of the tech stocks, expressly for the purpose of riding it back up with the popularity of substrate glass. Problem was, I needed to cash them out prematurely to bet the farm on this company. I wish I could have rode them out for 5-7 years to see how it worked out.

Regarding TV size, that will continually be the issue for the smaller screens - not enough demand will keep their prices proportionally higher. Bigger screens will get cheaper. For people looking to make their first jump to HD, they're going to replace their entertainment room TV with a big screen, not their bedroom 19" with a 27" flat panel.
                The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

I replaced my 27" living room TV with a 32" LCD about a year and a half ago. I love the TV, but will probably move that one to the bedroom and get a bigger LCD when prices are a bit better.
                  #birdsarentreal

Comment

Got the Creative Zen Vision M for the wife. Got it for $225 with 5 accessories and free shipping. Only catch is I have to send the $50 rebate check in by Dec. 31st. So basically I got 5 days to not forget.

Comment

Rebates piss me off so much. The Sirius radio I bought my Dad has a $30 rebate. The catch is I have to cut up the packaging on the radio to get the UPC code and then I have to make sure my Dad activates his Sirius service by Dec. 31st. Ridiculous.
                      #birdsarentreal

Comment

Then you have to manage the fucking rebates. Be sure to copy all documents, and then make yourself a note to remember that your rebate is due.

I swear a lot of companies like to wait and see if you'll bother asking for your rebate. Best Buy screwed me out of a $50 rebate in the past because I didn't have a copy of my docs.

Comment

First rule of rebates is to copy all paperwork.

I'm currently waiting for 1 of 2 new cell phone rebates from T-Mobile. I received the 1st rebate within 2 weeks. That was amazingly fast.

The second one that was mailed at the same time shows on their website only as received but not processed yet.

I bet they're milking this one for their 6 week limit.

Either way, I have all my paperwork and will be watching them.
                          19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

It's pretty easy to forget them after 4 or 6 weeks if you don't make yourself a note or a calendar reminder.

Comment

I will be watching them. Always make copies of the paperwork.

Comment

I had a $100 rebate when I bought my monitor. They rejected it the first time we sent it in, even though we followed all the directions to a T. Many rebates are run by an outside company. I think they try to make it as difficult as possible so that you give up. Some people may think it's not worth the hassle for 50 or 100 bucks. I read an article on the rebate scam. It was amazing the percentage that go unclaimed...
                                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X