No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh, and it's all free. I'm assuming you already have a text editor for writing code? if not, you can get a number of them for free as well, such as notebook++
    The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• Originally posted by unknown lions fan View Post
      oh, and it's all free. I'm assuming you already have a text editor for writing code? if not, you can get a number of them for free as well, such as notebook++
      Nice! Thanks ULF.

Look out cyberwebbins, Trick has enough knowledge to be dangerous.
      Last edited by Trickalicious; June 17, 2014, 05:31 PM. Reason: added 20% more fun
      Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• What do you know how to write at this point? When I started, I knew a little html and CSS. I knew relational databases from all of my time as a business analyst, so I understood SQL queries, database joins, and table structure pretty well. Mostly, I knew how to get data out, but not how to put it in and build it.

Over the past few years, I've taught myself PHP and javascript, and the jQuery library. I've gotten a lot better with MYSQL, HTML, and CSS. I'm doing some pretty advanced stuff for a newbie, so it takes a while sometimes.

What really gets me is Object Oriented code. Procedural is much more intuitive, objects make me pull my hair out.
        The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• Re: OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Originally posted by Trickalicious View Post
          Nice one. TWIT charged me 10% more.
          Then you probably shouldn't use it.
          "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

What do you know how to write at this point? When I started, I knew a little html and CSS. I knew relational databases from all of my time as a business analyst, so I understood SQL queries, database joins, and table structure pretty well. Mostly, I knew how to get data out, but not how to put it in and build it.

Over the past few years, I've taught myself PHP and javascript, and the jQuery library. I've gotten a lot better with MYSQL, HTML, and CSS. I'm doing some pretty advanced stuff for a newbie, so it takes a while sometimes.

What really gets me is Object Oriented code. Procedural is much more intuitive, objects make me pull my hair out.
            Yeah, that Object Oriented code eh! ..... What a bastard that is!

ULF....., your knowledge is vast. Genius in my book.
            "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• I wrote some code in first grade, maybe second. The result was a US flag, minus the stars (they must have been too difficult). On the other hand, I killed on Oregon Trail.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                Yeah, that Object Oriented code eh! ..... What a bastard that is!

ULF....., your knowledge is vast. Genius in my book.
                ha - throwing out terms like Object Oriented code hardly makes me a genius :-D but thanks anyway!

There's probably a dozen real coders on here who snicker when I say OOP gives me fits.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickalicious View Post
                  I wrote some code in first grade, maybe second. The result was a US flag, minus the stars (they must have been too difficult). On the other hand, I killed on Oregon Trail.
                  I never know how to take you dude...but if you're truly just beginning, Bucky's Room is a neat place to start.

Under "computer science" is XHTML and CSS, and HTML5. Under "Computer Programming" there are series of videos on a ton of languages.

Comment

• No, I truly killed on Oregon Trail.

And the links are appreciated and will be visited with extreme prejudice. Thanks for the info.

Comment

• Nice.

Tanks Dave even though you were talking to Trick.
                      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

ha - throwing out terms like Object Oriented code hardly makes me a genius :-D but thanks anyway!

There's probably a dozen real coders on here who snicker when I say OOP gives me fits.
                        <snicker>

Actually, I'm not a real coder anymore. I usually play the role of "architect" which means I melt at the sight of real code.

And javascript makes my head explode.

Comment

• How are you guys (Mark and Trick) coming along on your projects? I was just sitting here slaving away on code for about the 14th hour today, and thought about you

Comment

• I am doing well, thanks for asking Dave.

I am about 3 weeks away from going live.
                            I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• You know that moment when you burp the taste of fish JUST after being handed over the controls of the 747 because of the emergency situation that rendered the pilots gelatinous blobs?

I mean, the exact moment you see the fish bones on the pilots' in-flight meal trays and glance back at the plane full of nuns, orphans, and Brett Favre.

Add that to what a monkey thinks while being threatened by electro-shock if it proves unable to solve the complete value of pi.

Multiply all of that with the mind numbing, eye sanding, tooth grating boredom of watching the last five minutes of a Lions preseason game.

In summation, things could be going better.

Comment

• Re: OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

What the crap?
                                "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                X