Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meyer was speaking to a packed house of high school coaches from around the state of Ohio. Also a few college coaches, like Darrell Hazell and Marcus Freeman.

All of Meyer's assistant coaches were sitting up front as he spoke on "performance excellence." I promise you every coach in that place went home with a new idea of how to coach players and get the best from each guy on the roster.

Meyer apparently heard the complaining from Bret Bielema and Mark Dantonio. He had this to say during this morning's clinic:

"You're pissed because we went after a committed guy? Guess what, we got 9 guys who better go do it again," he said motioning to his assistants in the front of the room.

"Do it a little harder next time."
    Meyer also said that they passed on an out of state WR "at the last second" because his last step is out of bounds. They want guys who finish hard.
    Man, UFM already has a good ol' fashioned SEC-style feud going with Meathead. This will not end will the dunderhead cheesers. I love it.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• This is an old article but it sheds some light (albeit one man's view) of the view of ufm's recruiting techniques while he was at UF.

Interesting comment about other SEC coaches being good guys (when, in fact, they are also experts at pushing the envelope) needing to get with the SEC Commissioner and express their concerns about how ufm recruits.

I've already said this about Nick Saban but it applies to meyer as well. Like Saban, meyer's playing hard-ball and, as far as we know, within the NCAA rules. So what. If you want to compete with him for players, don't bring a knife to the gun fight ..... and worse, don't cry about losing players to osu to the press.

The best way to keep this guys roguish recruiting under control is to beat his football team every opportunity you get. That's the best way to slow him down. Let him get momentum and their's going to be trouble ahead. Slow him down and he'll quit (again) or move on.

I still see the NCAA as the biggest obstacle to establishing a rational and enforceable set of rules that govern college football and basketball recruiting. Get rid of them and I feel pretty confident the league commissioners could come up with something that works.

There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Who the F is Chad Scott? And good lord, does he hate UFM. Georgia fan or something?

Meh, othewise, Buchanan is correct. Personally, I think it would have just been easier for Bielema and Dantonio to submit a request to UFM to kick the bejesus out of them every year, but they did it their way.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          Interesting post from a guy at Decker's school who was involved in the recruiting:

It would also appear that Hoke botched M's chances with him -- though, tbh, I don't know how interested M ever was.

wouldn't giving the DVD be considered a gift?
          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Hilarious:

Mark Dantonio and Bret Bielema have run to principal Delany's office and are tattling on Urban Meyer. OTE looks into it.

Comment

• I think the recruit gives the DVD to the coach(es)
              Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Comment

• Let him get momentum and their's going to be trouble ahead.

On paper, yes. But Meyer's never lasted anywhere long enough to do that.

Comment

• Chad Scott is likely another concerned Floridan like me, it's becoming obvious we were duped.

As more and more dirt surfaces about Urban Meyer, countless player arrests, unethical recruitment, leaving your "dream job" to take another "dream job", is there no limit to his chicanery?
                  ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• As more and more dirt surfaces about Urban Meyer, countless player arrests, unethical recruitment, leaving your "dream job" to take another "dream job", is there no limit to his chicanery?
                    Not as long as enablers like OlieO are around.
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Looks like Barry Alvarez and his douchebag HC aren't on the same page

Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez spent most of his life in coaching, and he knows recruiting can be a messy process.But Alvarez also knows the difference between questionable recruiting practices and illegal ones.

Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez spent most of his life in coaching, and he knows recruiting can be a messy process.

But Alvarez also knows the difference between questionable recruiting practices and illegal ones. And to his knowledge, Ohio State coach Urban Meyer didn't do anything illegal in compiling the Buckeyes' latest recruiting class.

Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema accused Meyer of "illegal" recruiting practices Wednesday and
                      told the Sporting News on Thursday that Alvarez soon would be discussing Meyer's recruiting with Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany. Bielema said Alvarez would bring it up at an athletic directors' meeting Friday, but the Big Ten confirmed to ESPN.com that there is no such meeting.

Comment

• You should wait for the pending NCAA investigation to release its findings first, should have been a lesson learned from the Tressel fiasco.
                        ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• From an "insider" on Bielama's accusations:

Bielema was accusing Ohio State of "simulating a game experience" by having recruits try on jerseys WITH THEIR NAMES ON THEM(the Seantrel Henderson/Minnesota rule)....

when it was pointed out to him that Ohio State did no such thing, and that the jerseys tried on were existing players jerseys with no recruits names on the back his response was "ohhhhhhh".....
                          LMMFAO. I remmeber when Kiffin sailed his fail boat against UFM on accusations. Welcome, Coach Bielema. As I said, you could have saved yourself some embarrassment and just sent UFM a nice note asking that he assrape for the indefinite future. LMAO.

Comment

• Amazing, appears Tressel learned absolutely nothing. New "Job" reeks of impropriety.

February 2, 2012

The University of Akron gets the publicity it apparently both wants and needs. Jim Tressel gets his first full-time job in nine months and his first non-football job in, well, probably ever.

But when it comes to Tressel's fancy new job and job title at Akron — vice president for strategic engagement — there are more questions than just what, exactly, a vice president for strategic engagement might do all day.

Here's one: Why?

Akron gets the credibility and the cache the Tressel name brings in Ohio and specifically in Northeast Ohio and gets to use it in whatever strategic engaging the university higher-ups ask Tressel to strategically engage upon. But that credibility and cache have taken enough of a hit over the past year-plus that it's fair to wonder if Akron was bidding against itself to acquire Tressel's services, and also if this move is just a precursor to another move now that Tressel is officially a Zip.

Akron must look at it as acquiring a free-agent it never thought would be free, but Tressel is both a proven leader and a proven liar. For all the good he's done and might continue to do, his role in the scandals at Ohio State is always going to be part of his legacy. Bringing him on board so soon after is not a low-risk proposition.

The NCAA penalties that cost Tressel his job as head football coach at Ohio State will keep him from working directly with the football team, but Akron still felt it necessary and prudent to add him to its administration at a public rate of $200,000 per year.

For Tressel, that's a pretty good rebound job. For Akron, that's an expense that seems pretty tough to explain at a time when the cost of going to college for regular folks has never been higher. There's a fight for relevance and for students amongst universities in Northeast Ohio, and every far-reaching impression counts.

This one is still a head-scratcher.

Apparently, this is not a job in athletics. Tressel said he'll be "coaching students every day. I'm an educator." But his presence — whether Tressel and university president Luis Proenza admit it or not — is also going to cast a pretty big shadow over Akron athletic director Tom Wistrcill and new football coach Terry Bowden.

Wistrcill has done an excellent job since taking over in 2009 and has helped oversee a tremendous upgrade in facilities, all part of a process that's taken Akron's campus from a bunch of decaying buildings to looking and feeling like an actual campus over the last decade.

Akron won a national championship in soccer in 2010. The Zips have an outstanding basketball program coached by Akron native Keith Dambrot, the kind of thrive-local, dream-global program many across the country wish they could be. Wistrcill had previously done just about everything right except hire the right football coach, and he surprised everyone by getting Bowden in December.

Introducing Tressel 16 hours after Bowden introduced his first recruiting class was the PR equivalent of an offensive lineman tackling his own running back. Inviting people to think about Tressel serving as an eventual replacement for either Wistrcill or Bowden is just about the same.

The university release says Tressel, in his new job, "will identify, recommend and support strategies and efforts that promote success in all facets of student life, including alumni and friend engagement, and collaborations and partnerships with community organizations that have an influence and impact on Akron students and their futures."

That probably translates to well-known, well-paid solicitor of donations. Shake hands, kiss babies, tell football stories. Akron is already promising new football season-ticket buyers a chance to have breakfast with Terry Bowden's famous father, and now here comes The Guy In The Vest.

Come watch the Akron-UMass football game in the luxury suite with Jim Tressel!

There are people who will pay to do it, so Akron might get what it wants out of the deal. Tressel gets out of the house, gets paid nicely and gets to move forward in spite of the five-year "show-cause" penalty he's under by the NCAA. He's paid for his mistakes and said he's fortunate to have this opportunity.

Why it's happening now, at Akron, still just seems a little mysterious. Based on his past, it's fair to wonder what might be behind the next door.

Comment

• Why are we concerned with Akron administrators on this thread? The whole thing reeks of rampant denial and fear. Of course, it's understandable. We know *exactly* where OP stands on UFM. Heh heh heh.

Comment

• OP is still intimidated and scared shitless by the Senator. My God, his heart won't be able to take the next 5 years (that's all we'll get out of Meyer before he leaves us for the New England Patriots!!)

Comment

Working...
                                X