No announcement yet.

Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lol he "landed" Embiid...Sam Bowie 2.0 with less work ethic.... Outstanding pick! Totally worth throwing away a season for!

Philly's roster is literally 10-12 good players away from being 500.... There is zero chance they will be competitive anytime in the next 2-3 years, even if they tried winning right now.

Comment

• He's had 3 years to find a PG or at least sign a player who can play PG, who is that guy? Isaiah Canaan? They have not one guy w/ a guaranteed contract who plays PG. They started a guy last year named Frazier who I think didn't even get a Summer League invite because he isn't good enough.
      The Lions went 11-5 in 2014

Comment

• Keith Appling looked pretty darn good in the summer league. Just saying..
        Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
          Keith Appling looked pretty darn good in the summer league. Just saying..
          Philly talk boring you Brook? Your homerism aside, I agree re Appling, I thought he was an NBa player and Izzo mis used him. He's a great attack guy, great athlete, and has freakish wing span. Great finisher. Izzo made him think too much
          The Lions went 11-5 in 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by Kstat View Post
            Lol he "landed" Embiid...Sam Bowie 2.0 with less work ethic.... Outstanding pick! Totally worth throwing away a season for!

Philly's roster is literally 10-12 good players away from being 500.... There is zero chance they will be competitive anytime in the next 2-3 years, even if they tried winning right now.
            Embiid hasn't played a game yet, we'll see. Bowie had some good years

Not competitive in 2015/2016, but who cares. We all know the Finals is going to be Spurs or Warriors VS Cavs. Only 3/30 teams have a shot next season.
            2016/2017, that's when I think the 76ers will come together.

Between Embiid, Noel, and Okafor, two of them will be good. Stauskas / Tony Wroten will be a decent SG... and they have all the draft picks to trade/ do whatever with.

A lot of speculation, but they are like that risky stock. Their is definitely potential for huge payoff down the road.
            Last edited by Cody_Russell; July 7, 2015, 09:00 PM. Reason: Spell check
            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• The sixers are essentially a penny stock. Super low investment with a possible huge payoff but are far more likely to go out of business.

Embiid could be out of the NBA in two years. Part of that is on him, and part of it is on the sixers for allowing his lazy attitude to become a major problem. They didn't want him back on the court too soon, so they didn't really care if he didn't rehab hard. Now? His foot is still fucked up a year later, and he's put on 50 lbs. They might have ruined him.

This is the thing Hinkie doesn't get: basketball players are people, not video game characters. great prospects need to be pushed in an environment that demands their best.

Even if the sixers do land a potential superstar, we might never know it. I'm not certain they won't ruin Okafor. Two years in that shithole and he's going to catch their losing attitude.
              Last edited by Kstat; July 8, 2015, 01:27 AM.

Comment

• Can someone point me to the Pistons Thread?
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                  Philly talk boring you Brook? Your homerism aside, I agree re Appling, I thought he was an NBa player and Izzo mis used him. He's a great attack guy, great athlete, and has freakish wing span. Great finisher. Izzo made him think too much
                  I'm going to say Izzo got the most of out him. He had serious focus issues and needed maturing big time. I think that if he makes the NBA later in his career (a la Alan Anderson and Charlie Bell) I would give a lot of credit to Izzo.

When he got to MSU he was scrawny shooting guard in the body of a pg with little concept of team play and an inconsistent shot. He left a very good defender and a very good game manager with much improved shot selection (though still with some focus/reliability/consistency issues).
                  Last edited by nhwbrooklyn; July 8, 2015, 08:39 AM.
                  Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
                    Yep it's hard to develop players when tanking.
                    Originally posted by Kstat View Post
                    The sixers are essentially a penny stock. Super low investment with a possible huge payoff but are far more likely to go out of business.

Embiid could be out of the NBA in two years. Part of that is on him, and part of it is on the sixers for allowing his lazy attitude to become a major problem. They didn't want him back on the court too soon, so they didn't really care if he didn't rehab hard. Now? His foot is still fucked up a year later, and he's put on 50 lbs. They might have ruined him.

This is the thing Hinkie doesn't get: basketball players are people, not video game characters. great prospects need to be pushed in an environment that demands their best.

Even if the sixers do land a potential superstar, we might never know it. I'm not certain they won't ruin Okafor. Two years in that shithole and he's going to catch their losing attitude.
                    I firmly believe that location plays a huge part in the majority of successes and failures. You get guys like Lebron that are going to be great regardless. And then there is everyone else. And the lesser the talent and intangibles coming in, the more environment comes into play.

Tanking, or better yet, losing continually will never be good and to think the same guy(s) that were tanking before are going to all-of-a-sudden be good players is short sighted. At best.

How about drafting well wherever you draft. This is another problem with the NBA. The GMs, scouts and management are horrible at finding talent that fits with THEIR team's playing style. And they are even worse at finding complementary players to put a solid club on the floor.

That is how I remember the "Going to Work" Pistons. A really good solid club that hung their hats on Defense.

Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                    Hardly any of these guys are ever finished products when they get drafted. It was much more advantageous to tank when you could draft a finished product out of college. Grant Hill, Tim Duncan, Shaq, etc... Those guys were ready right away. Nowadays you are building your team on free agents on their 2nd and 3rd contract. Every once in awhile you do have that finished product like LeBron but the odds of getting that from tanking are long, especially if numerous teams are doing it

This isn't to say the Pistons were doing it right either, but I mean come on, the Sixers actively shun wins and they won't be good this year.
                    The Association is so out of wack that they have to have a lottery because the majority of owners don't give a sh!t about competing unless they are a winning club.

Instead of having a coming-to-Jesus meeting and putting their foots down on this, they just say, "Meh, we'll just do a lottery." Leaving millions of fans to watch horrible BB until they don't watch anymore, trade in their team to one that the league wants them to OR miraculously their team finally wins some games and hopefully makes it to the second round before they are creamed by a "Superstar" led team.

I was always a BB fan. I come from a BB town that has produced NBA talent. But the whole thing makes me nauseus

pands Does the NBA have a competitive committee?
                    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                      Can someone point me to the Pistons Thread?
                      I am liking SJ. Playing against Winslow you can tell who had the better college coaching, yet he more then held his own.

But, it is just Summer League
                      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                        I firmly believe that location plays a huge part in the majority of successes and failures. You get guys like Lebron that are going to be great regardless. And then there is everyone else. And the lesser the talent and intangibles coming in, the more environment comes into play.

Tanking, or better yet, losing continually will never be good and to think the same guy(s) that were tanking before are going to all-of-a-sudden be good players is short sighted. At best.

How about drafting well wherever you draft. This is another problem with the NBA. The GMs, scouts and management are horrible at finding talent that fits with THEIR team's playing style. And they are even worse at finding complementary players to put a solid club on the floor.

That is how I remember the "Going to Work" Pistons. A really good solid club that hung their hats on Defense.

The Association is so out of wack that they have to have a lottery because the majority of owners don't give a sh!t about competing unless they are a winning club.

Instead of having a coming-to-Jesus meeting and putting their foots down on this, they just say, "Meh, we'll just do a lottery." Leaving millions of fans to watch horrible BB until they don't watch anymore, trade in their team to one that the league wants them to OR miraculously their team finally wins some games and hopefully makes it to the second round before they are creamed by a "Superstar" led team.

I was always a BB fan. I come from a BB town that has produced NBA talent. But the whole thing makes me nauseus

pands Does the NBA have a competitive committee?
                        Well, part of the problem is unlike in the NFL where fans (mistakenly and stupidly) think the QB is the only thing that matters... in the NBA, having that superstar really IS the only thing that matters.

When you only have 10 players in play at any given time, the impact one player has is exponentially larger, especially when that one player is head and shoulders above everyone else on the court.

Without that one player, your ceiling is pretty much a low seed and getting your ass handed to you in the first round. Sure... it's POSSIBLE to put together a "complete" team like Golden State did, or Atlanta is trying to do, or Detroit did for several years... but even then you still have to kinda get lucky (and in the Pistons case getting lucky with a Free Agent signing AND two trades that brought Wallace, Hamilton, and Billups into the core of that team).

When you're a mid-market team with pretty much no ability to lure any Free Agent worth a shit... I dunno, it sure seems like the only way out IS to tank and try the lottery (both literally and figuratively).

Again, may I remind you Pistons fans have been pretty much having this discussion for the last five years:

"Damn! We're so lucky that [insert player here] dropped to us! We didn't even have to tank for him! Awesome!"

(Detroit finishes in the 8-9 slot in the lottery... again...)

"Uhhh... hmmm... well... DAMN! Look at this guy dropping into our laps! Lucky us!"
                        Last edited by chemiclord; July 8, 2015, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• I agree you need a superstar or two to win a championship in the NBA, unless you find a perfect storm of chemistry and talent a la the '04 Pistons. Couple problems with tanking though -- a true superstar comes along every several years. There are only a handful of those players in the NBA. You can tank 5 straight years and not land a superstar, instead building a culture of losing that can be hard to shake. Also, there is no guarantee you'll get a top pick if you tank. Hello NY knicks

None of the players on the Sixers strikes me as that superstar. Maybe Okafor if he learns how to defend. The Sixers are going to be stuck with several potentially really good players that might gel, but in 3-4 years are also going to all want 15-20 million each. It's r risky way to build.

Luck plays a huge role imho. David Robinson's injury lead to Tim Duncan. The Celtics actually had the best chance to get him that year. The lottery requires luck. With constant tanking you are placing a lot in the hands of luck.

Comment

• Yeah and Tim Duncan was 20 years ago and a senior coming out of Wake.

In regards to the Pistons, they've been fairly good in the draft. Dumars did some decent drafting post-Darko, his free agents were awful. Free agents did come but they were terrible. They may not get the big hoss free agent, but outside of Miami and sometime LA, that is the case with everyone. You can't attract anyone if you are terrible.

Comment

• Many of the best younger players in the league were not top 3 picks.

Paul George was a 10 pick.

Damian Lillard a 6 pick.

Kawhi Leonard was a 15 pick.

Steph Curry a 7 pick.

Jeff Teague a 15 pick.

Jimmy Butler a 30 pick.

Drummond, Monroe, and Cousins all drafted outside the top 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                                Yeah and Tim Duncan was 20 years ago and a senior coming out of Wake.

In regards to the Pistons, they've been fairly good in the draft. Dumars did some decent drafting post-Darko, his free agents were awful. Free agents did come but they were terrible. They may not get the big hoss free agent, but outside of Miami and sometime LA, that is the case with everyone. You can't attract anyone if you are terrible.
                                Chauncey was one hell of a good FA signing though

Comment

Working...
                                X