No announcement yet.

Forumites and their Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're not going to stop an animal, when injured, from signaling its displeasure. Be there when the dog is with small children, if it's that big of a dog and can inflict serious damage. I had an overweight mutt who bit my daughter when she stepped on him or stuff like that, and he was the kindest dog in the world. That's nature.
    I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• Sometimes dogs get less tolerant when the get older, too. Is he getting up in years, Drew?
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Naw, he's between five and six years.
        ------------
        <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• Did anyone see what led up to it?
          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• You are right, Tony. It does make a difference. (to a point.;))
            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I grew up with an airedale (we were just about the same age) and that dog was just fearless and could be down right vicious. She killed raccoons many times, got its face full of porcupine quills numerous times (vet said thats what caused it's stroke eventually, a porcupine quill tip made its way to her brain years later), killed cats (always felt bad about that), and chased down a baby dear once (we managed to save it before any real damage was done). But she never played for keeps with other dogs, no matter how small they were (how a dog knows a Yorke is another dog I don't quite understand) and she never went after people (actually she did bring down a college kid on a bike once... but I'll write that off as how a shark mistakes a surfer for a seal :P ). As little kids (there were 6 of us... irish catholic and all) we climbed all over her and wrestled with her all the time and not once did she nip at us. She had this crazy quirk about her too that if she got loose all you had to do was raise a lighter in the air and flick the roller on the flint to make that noise/spark and she would come running back home no matter how far away she was. I never understood how she could magically know when we flicked a lighter and come out from behind a house 2 blocks away and come running home but it invariably worked.

Anyhow back on subject... I think its pretty important for a breed of dog that can be aggressive to be around kids when the dog is a puppy.
              Last edited by nhwbrooklyn; February 27, 2011, 11:51 AM.
              Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• If you wouldn't have blown bong hits in her face she probably wouldn't have been as responive to the lighter...

Comment

• Well when you are 10 years old you don't know not to blow your bong hits in your dogs face

Live and learn.
                  Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• and i agree with you Jim , There are some cases that are no brainers. My only point here was we don't know the full context so it's hard to judge it .
                    Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• When my daughter crawled into the dog crate and the dog let her know that was his place we wrote it off as the kids fault for invading the dogs space. He had most of her head in his mouth and could have really hurt her, but didn't. When the dog bit Jack a couple of years later we didn't see what happened other the aftermath (he still has a small scar). We said the same things. What did he do to provoke the dog? But in my mind the pattern had been established; the dog was protecting his dominance. I wasn't around when the dog bit the other grandchild and really don't know what happened, but it was enough that my dad felt that he had to take drastic measures. The dog was getting pretty old by then-I don't know if he was having any other heath issues.

BTW, the dogs ashes are burried in the cemetary below my dad's...

Comment

• A lot of times, they're not biting to injure or retaliate; they're trying to get your attention. They can't reach out and grab your arm. That's what they have to grip you. That's on non instinctive stuff, not when you step on their tail.
                        I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                          Does that really matter, Tony? Even if it's not the dogs fault, it's still the dogs fault. If it happened once, it will probably happen again. You can't take the chance that you dog will seriously harm a child.
                          I understand your logic that a kid is more valuable than a dog. However, dogs, like children must be taught behavior. If this is something the dog had not experienced before, you can not expect the dog to know how to handle it other than their natural instincts.

Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                          If the child did something to harm the dog and the dog didn't walk away, you have a problem. If the dog did it once, what will stop the dog from doing it again, maybe with more serious consequences?

If you cannot absolutely keep the kids away from the dog or the dog away from the kids, there is a chance it will happen again. The question would be, how willing is a person to take that chance?
                          Yes, you are correct. However, if both kids and dogs are taught how to act responsibly, they will be able to co-exist. A dog should not be given a death sentence for acting like a dog. A child should not be admonished for acting like a child. Both can learn and it is up to us to teach them how to act.

Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                          Sorry, but I disagree. You are being unrealistic
                          I don't think so but I do agree the safety of the child takes presidence and if there is any question, the dog needs to be removed.

My experience has taught me that both can and will learn to co-exist. Labs especially are very people friendly and likely something happened that he/she did not like. They are not overly aggressive but will react to something they do not like.
                          I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• There is a grey area there. And kids die from dog attacks every year.

Not saying that lab would ever do that, but it can be reasonable to decide either way on it. Like the decision to keep a gun in the house. If you keep one you must do so what great care and responsibility because if you slip up even one time it can mean disaster for a child. You got to be really careful and a child's life is obviously paramount over any dog.

Comment

• "Drew, you can never let that dog near kids again. Period. Your dog sees himself as the alfa dog and he is putting the kids in their proper place in the pecking order. This is okay with dogs/dogs, but not dogs/small kids."
                              --------------------CGVT beat me to it. Get rid of the dog immediately. I agree wholeheartedly with all of CGVT's posts. If it happened once it can happen again. If the dog does damage next time then how will you feel? Get rid of the dog. He can't be trusted.

GO LIONS "11" !
                              GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Apparently, Nate had a phone and wanted to hold it up to the lab's ear so he talk to whoever was on the other end. The lab viciously growled as he snapped. I'm not certain what Nate was doing to the dog just before that. The way Sue was yelling for me afterwards, I thought the kid's arm was off.

I'm not gonna put the dog down. Obviously, I'm not gonna let them be in the room together again either, but I think I'll try to find someone that wants him. I wouldn't miss him anyway. Never wanted him to begin with. I think I posted as much earlier in this thread.
                                ------------
                                <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

Working...
                                X