No announcement yet.

Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They are going for flexibility, especially on the defensive end. SJ can guard 2-3-4 and play 2-3, Harris can guard 3-4 and play 3-4, D-Mo can play 4-5, KCP can guard 1-2-3 and play 2, Morris can guard 3-4 and play 3-4. It gives them the flexibility like Golden State has, where they can switch on guys and not end up in a mismatch situation.

Plus Thorton, D-Mo, and Harris all have range out to three, and Harris will take advantage of defenses that heavily shift towards the RJ Drummon pick and roll, he is amazing at cutting under the basket.

Here is a video of D-Mo, his passing and post footwork are off the charts. He is a potential all star IF he can stay healthy.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoiDbWxgVqI"]Donatas Motiejunas' Top 10 Plays of the 2014-2015 Season - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by guitarjack87; February 18, 2016, 08:45 PM.
    1. Todd Gurley RB 2. Eddie Goldman DT 3. Tre McBride WR 5-7 OL Depth

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

F-Loo
      N-Brook
      J-Ad
      C-Russ
      M-Spart
      D-imWiT
      P-Anopiss

Etc etc
      Gonz will like that about as much as he likes fantasy sports
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I watched that clip gj posted. His footwork is pretty amazing and he has really good passing skills. My only concerns now are his injury status and resigning him.

But if SVG say life is good, I believe him.
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• All you need to know about Motiejunas's value as a player is, over the past two seasons the Houston Rockets were 43-20 when he started at PF and 39-35 when he didn't.

He can defend the 4 or 5, he can pass, handle and he's a very good 3-point shooter and a very good low post player. The questions about his back are the only reason this isn't a home run deal. But if he can stay healthy he's a fantastic player to have.

Everyone has been talking about Ryan Anderson, but Motiejunas is a better player than Ryan Anderson, and he's younger.
          Last edited by Kstat; February 19, 2016, 02:23 AM.

Comment

• The questions about his back are the only reason the Pistons got him at all for that price. For that price, it's worth the risk, because as has been noted Motiejunas will be quite a bit better than likely anyone the Pistons would have gotten for that pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
              Its a protected pick for 2 years which is good. If he's a rental this is retarded. He's on an expiring contract and there's no guarantee that we'll be willing to match what he gets on the open market.

Where does he even fit in now and long term? You basically have Morris, Harris and Johnson all vying for 2 starting positions. This makes us better in the short term but did it potentially weaken us long term? I'd say our high ceiling is a 6-8 seeded playoff team and our low being a 8-10 lottery team.

Is a rental worth the 9th -10th picks and did this trade really make us a contender? Will he stick around? How much are they willing to spend since we're going to have to pony up for AD and Harris has a chunk of a salary? With all of that money spent on the front court who's going to be our back court guards next year?
              Money, money, money. Blah, blah, blah.

Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

But if SVG say life is good, I believe him.
              This.
              I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Money, money, money, NBA Who gives a shit?
                FIFY
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• It's all about his back. If he can fully recover, the deal is fantastic. If he's forever managing his back the best the Pistons will get is a backup guy who can give 10 minutes a game or so. The worst is a total loss.
                  Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Does he remind anybody of Arvidas Sabonis with his passing?
                    Forever One!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kstat View Post
                      All you need to know about Motiejunas's value as a player is, over the past two seasons the Houston Rockets were 43-20 when he started at PF and 39-35 when he didn't.

He can defend the 4 or 5, he can pass, handle and he's a very good 3-point shooter and a very good low post player. The questions about his back are the only reason this isn't a home run deal. But if he can stay healthy he's a fantastic player to have.

Everyone has been talking about Ryan Anderson, but Motiejunas is a better player than Ryan Anderson, and he's younger.
                      Where's Arnie when we need him?

Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                      Why the fuck does every NBA player have to have a name like D-Mo?

I think we should adopt the practice here on the forum

F-Loo
                      N-Brook
                      J-Ad
                      C-Russ
                      M-Spart
                      D-imWiT
                      P-Anopiss

Etc etc
                      Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                      FIFY

Dam it CG. Now everyone knows I am not working at the moment. I'm laughing hysterically now. Crap

Originally posted by Masspartan View Post
                      Does he remind anybody of Arvidas Sabonis with his passing?
                      From those highlights, I agree. Or Vlade Divac. I want to reserve any optimism until I see all of these guys actually play together. Ice Cream, Bacon and Hot Wings are all tasty. But not together. I'm more interested in watching this team then I have been for 5 years.
                      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• That is the big issue, seeing it all fit together. With basketball I have a pet theory that it is best to take a one step at a time approach because if you add two major pieces it is harder to mesh. That doesn't mean it won't work but it is a potential issue. You saw that with Joe D and the second half of his tenure with their big splash free agent signings.

Some of this is tempered by the knowledge that these moves are in line with what Van Gundy is trying to accomplish. He is building around the pick and roll game of Drummond and Jackson. Harris is a another good pick and roll guy. Montulunas is a spacer that can play well with Drummond. He complemented a similar player like Howard in Houston. It's a far cry from throwing Monroe, Drummond and Smith out there and praying it worked, that was a spacing nightmare.

We'll see how it works and we know if it doesn't work the way it was envisioned there will be more moves. Another disappointment of the second half of Joe Ds tenure was how much he stood pat when things weren't working.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                          I want to reserve any optimism until I see all of these guys actually play together. Ice Cream, Bacon and Hot Wings are all tasty. But not together. I'm more interested in watching this team then I have been for 5 years.
                          I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• I just wish we'd play a friggin game already so we can see our new christmas presents. It seems like its been a year since we played last.

SVG sure has done a lot with this team without many resources since he took over. It's pretty amazing really. My only concern now is that Drew Sharp backed this last move which makes me not like it as much

Sharp actually wrote a good article in the freep about it.
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• "F-Loo
                              N-Brook
                              J-Ad
                              C-Russ
                              M-Spart
                              D-imWiT
                              P-Anopiss

Etc etc"

D-anO
                              Last edited by DanO; February 19, 2016, 02:54 PM.
                              GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• The process sounds a lot different than I thought it would be. But its interesting

AUBURN HILLS -- The credit tends to always flow to Stan Van Gundy, for the wins, the draft picks and the trades.
                                The Detroit Pistons coach and president of basketball operations was lauded once again this week by national pundits for their two pre-deadline deals.
                                But the reality of it all?
                                "I sat in a meeting for 15 minutes this morning," Van Gundy said Thursday, after reports came out the Pistons traded for forwards Marcus Thornton and Donatas Motiejunas.
                                Instead, Van Gundy credited general manager Jeff Bower, his three assistants, Pat Garrity, director of strategic planning, and Detroit's group of four pro scouts: Adam Glessner, Tom Barrise, Al Walker and Rob Werdann.
                                "These guys worked hours and hours and hours," Van Gundy said. "And then I sort of listened to everything. I basically go with what they say all the time anyway.
                                "They're making the decisions. When I first got the job, Tom (Gores) said that 99 percent of the time the process makes the decision. I think he's absolutely right - we've got a good process here, where Jeff goes out and looks for deals and then the group comes together."
                                Van Gundy credited Bower as the one responsible for landing Tobias Harris from the Orlando Magic and called the second-year general manager a great personality who lacks ego.
                                "Because I think he does all the work — all the scouts and the assistant GMs do the work, and if people think the trade is good I get the credit," Van Gundy said. "So it is, a little bit, it's got to be tough.
                                "I don't think I've over-ruled them or done anything even once. Really, the process that's set up, makes the decision. And then I come and talk to you guys (the media) about it."
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X