Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan @ Michigan State, Game Day - Post Game Discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's fun to occasionally go with your gut feeling and see where it takes you. I did that earlier this year and predicted Michigan beating Ohio State. In justifying that rationally, I argued that Michigan will outcoach the Buckeyes, and I think that is well underway.

The coaching process is a multi-year enterprise. You can't expect to win based on in-game or game-week adjustments. Good play execution and good football habits are learned throughout the course of a season, and even over the course of several seasons. So far, going back to the offseason beginning 1/2/2016. this is the year of Harbaugh. (Talent repeatedly notes this, if half-jokingly.)

I don't personally like Dantonio's coaching style, in comparison to that of Harbaugh. Dantonio is conservative, with a rather limited worldview. He's a bit like Bo Schembechler in that regard. Harbaugh, while ostensibly a Schembechler disciple, seems much more expansive in perspective. That may get him in trouble at some point, but at this point he's in a league of his own in comparison to Meyer and Dantonio.

To be fair, I don't know much about Dantonio and Meyer. Both have seemed like good, if not great, coaches in previous years. But they've been overshadowed by Harbaugh in the publicity deparment. Then, once the season started, they've both also been overshadowed by Harbaugh in actual football. Did anyone else hear some pundits saying we should wait until we see some results on the field before annointing Harbaugh as the second coming of Jesus Christ. Well Harbaugh's Wolverines beat Penn State by 39 points. The Buckeyes lost to the same Nittany Lions. Harbaugh's Wolverines are 7-0. The Spartan's are 2-5 (including a win over Furman). Even Jesus Christ would have difficulty separating himself from the pack to that degree.

The results on the field are pretty clear, and this is the year of Harbaugh. Bet otherwise at your own risk.
    Last edited by Detroit Dan; October 23, 2016, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Sparty's recent history in this series is due to two things- Carr would constantly underprepare for this game, and Sparty was legitimately good while Michigan was wasting time trying to find themselves with RRod and Hoke.

Those aren't concerns this year.

Comment

No way MSU wins this one...rivalry game or not. Spartans are simply not very good this year.

Comment

This has a 56-7 type of feel to it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Oracle View Post
            You mean read too much, over analyze and let Mgoblog tell you what to think?
            Actually, all their staff writers do a decent job compiling data and reviewing video. I don't have time to do that. I do have time to read what they have to say and then interpret that in terms of what I saw live.

There's other sources from different vantage points as well. Eleven Warriors is one of them. The takes of the games from all the M web sites are usually pretty consistent and that lends substance to a particular observation.
            There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

To be fair, I don't know much about Dantonio and Meyer. Both have seemed like good, if not great, coaches in previous years.
              Wow.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Harbaugh Will Be Ready

Don't think for a moment that Jimbo forgets how he was outcoached last year. He will be ready and his team will be ready. With that said Sparty will be pissed and you know they'll probably play their best game of the season. I see this being much closer than most think.

Comment

Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                  This has a 56-7 type of feel to it.
                  This has a Muddy Waters type game feel. MSU will keep it in the 30 point range on will and rivalry alone.

Comment

There's a guy at mgoblog that follows ticket prices. They are markers of fan interest. Tickets for this game were bringing $200 - $300 in the secondary market up until Monday morning when they plummeted.

They?ve been hovering around $140-$150 (when you include fees and such) for a pair upstairs or high up (the rows go only to the 40s) in the endzone. It?s a weird market since there are a bunch of tickets moving, but for the most part the sides are kind of ickily staring at each other, waiting for someone to make a move. Spartan ticket holders are hoping for someone to bite at $200, or if they go down to at least sell to someone who?ll promise to go in green.

M fans looking for tickets are going to keep the price up but the target to buy is anything around $100 (including fees) and the target date to buy is Thursday or Friday. There will be some but not many game day tickets and these should go for $80-$100. Don't pay more and look for counterfits ..... if you're looking to snap up some tickets read the piece at the link below to make sure you don't get taken.

So… Hm. Are you thinking…? YES WE ARE ALL THINKING THIS As the Maryland running game broke through yet another State slant, it looked on the ticket market like something finally broke inside the Spartan fan soul. Ticket prices plummeted by $100. They’ve been hovering around $140-$150 (when you include fees and such) for a pair upstairs or high up (the rows go only to the 40s) in the endzone. It’s a weird market since there are a bunch of tickets moving, but for the most part the sides are kind of ickily staring at each other, waiting for someone to make a move. Spartan ticket holders are hoping for someone to bite at $200, or if they go down to at least sell to someone who’ll promise to go in green. But few Spartan fans without a ticket are going to want one now—Michigan fans are the vast majority of the market. Many are playing the waters, or waiting for the price to come down enough to justify it to certain parties who were hoping that Saturday could be used for de-leafing the gutters. So no, this isn’t a game where the price can drop below $100 before the panicky moment on Friday afternoon. [After the jump: Advice if you want to go, and whether you REALLY want to go]
                    There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

People looking to scalp will find mega deals on game day.

Comment

I am expecting a real bad beating of Sparty.
                        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

god i hope so....but crazy things happen. If the Bucks can go down...

Comment

I don't care how bad they've been this year. It's still a huge rivalry game against a Big Ten program in their house.

And we gotta remember -- this one game would make their entire season at this point. They could lose the rest of them and finish 3-9, but if they at least beat UM, then I guarantee that it would make all the rest of those L's worth it for them ten fold.

If this were in Ann Arbor then sure, I'd just about take for granted a blowout win in this case. But not in East Lansing. They still may very well go in there and beat them down but I'm for damn sure not going to take it for granted going into it.

To me it's still a very scary game.
                            AAL: KhaDarel Hodges

Comment

14-7 UM at the half, 28-13 at the end for the good guys

Comment

Originally posted by Niffla View Post
                                If this were in Ann Arbor then sure, I'd just about take for granted a blowout win in this case. But not in East Lansing. They still may very well go in there and beat them down but I'm for damn sure not going to take it for granted going into it.

To me it's still a very scary game.
                                The way Sparty fans are bailing, this game will feel like it's being played in Brighton.

I would buy (some of) that rivalry stuff if it looked like the team had actually had any clues in the last few weeks. Those losses haven't exactly been heartbreakers to the likes of Alabama, Nebraska or OSU. I wouldn't think that it was possible for Dantonio to lose his team so badly so fast, but they look like the 2002 team. There must be something seriously wrong going on.

Comment

Working...
                                X