MLB and the Detroit Tigers Bandwagon Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hahaha.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      As it relates to the Indians, however, they deliberately lowered their capacity from 43K to 34K.

I will say this -- it's way more expensive than I thought it would be to go to an Indians game and get decent seats. I mean, depending on the night it's $15 a ticket for crap seats. Anything between the foul poles is at least $60. I'm sure those are market rate and probably even cheap -- it's just been a few years since I actually had to buy tickets to a game (ah, the halcyon days of private practice).

The people spending money on the Browns are idiots. The Muni lots represent humanity at its absolute nadir.
      Indians drew great in the 90's...after the Browns had left. All you really gotta say. I cannot explain the love affair for the pathetic franchise the NFL 'gifted' the city after '95.

I will say though that judging by crowds in recent years, people are finally warming up to the idea that the Browns are an exorbitant scam.

Comment

• The Browns exist to make Lion fans feel better. It is rare company.

Comment

• The Indians have been so dominant that if you plug in their numbers into the pythagorean expectation formula for wins over the past 21 games it spits out 20-1. In other words, there's been almost zero luck in winning 21 straight major league baseball games. Staggering.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• All aboard the Indians Bandwagon Bus, Population: Talent.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Meh. I'm mostly a stats guy. Aaron Judge's first half of the season was my "staggering" numbers for awhile. Until this. It's amazing. Of course, there's always Trout.

Mostly I'll be rooting for anyone to beat the fucking Cubs and fucking Red Sox. Man's gotta have a code.

Comment

• Just for my esteemed colleague from the Land of Morphy and Orgeron: in the past 21 GAMES the Indians have trailed for just 4 INNINGS. Four.

Comment

• I still protest that a lot of those games came against the Tigers and should not count.

Comment

• 1/3 if I'm not mistaken

Comment

• Correct. During Cleveland's 21-game winning streak, the Tigers are 6-7 against non-Indians teams and 0-7 against the Tribe.

Now the Indians get the Royals. The Royals were their first sweep of the streak -- the Indians won 3 at home by a combined 20-0. Now they get them 4 times. It would seem like Tomlin vs Junis tonight is the Royals best pitching matchup.

Comment

• Originally posted by whodean View Post
                        The Braves have shown some signs of progress this season. There's a team that is a few years ahead of the Tigers in terms of rebuilding. Tons and tons of young talent in the Braves system. The move to Suntrust has been a windfall for ownership so I think they are on the verge of spending some serious $ on talent. Things are looking up for the Bravos.
                        [/B]
                        I still can't believe they moved to a new building when the last one opened in the 90's.

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
                          I still can't believe they moved to a new building when the last one opened in the 90's.

The last one was for the Olympics and owned by Atlanta and the city wouldn't offer any concessions to get the Braves to re-sign.

Comment

• The Braves spent basically nothing to build Fulton County Stadium, as far as I know. All paid by taxpayers.

The Olympics, NBC, and Fulton County taxpayers again built Turner Field. I don't believe the Braves contributed much to the construction costs if anything. They leased it from the city.

The new place, now out in Cobb County, was again paid for primarily by taxpayers, albeit a new, richer crowd. At least the Braves paid like 35% of the cost this time. But of course, in 15 years, they'll insist the taxpayers owe them BIG TIME

The stadium game is a wonderful racket.

Comment

• DSL, stadiums may be a racket, but that's not the case with the Braves.

You have several facts wrong and are wrong about some of your conclusions:

1. Fulton County Stadium was built by the City of Atlanta to attract a MLB team. A couple of years after it opened, the Milwaukee Braves moved to Atlanta. So, yeah, of course, the Braves didn't help build it.

2. Turner Field was built as a venue for the Olympics. It was re-purposed as a MLB baseball field afterward because Fulton County Stadium was literally falling down.

3. The Braves had planned to re-sign the lease a couple of years ago and asked Atlanta for some repairs and improvements. The City of Atlanta said, "Nope. Sign on the dotted line. Oh, by the way, your lease payments are going up."

4. Over the years, the Braves spent in excess of $100 million on repairs and improvements to Turner Field that they were not obligated to do. They asked for Atlanta to replace seats, put in new lights and a working scoreboard and a few other things to re-sign. The City of Atlanta again said "no". The City also refused to grant Atlanta development rights in the area surrounding Turner Field. That just doesn't happen in this era.

In the end, Atlanta didn't think the Braves would be able to work another deal quickly enough and get financing. They did.

Comment

• Check yourself, DSL, before AA wrecks yourself!

Comment

Working...
                                X