Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is a brick wall between academics and athletics at Michigan, Geezer. Always has been. The only way it could be any more massive is if Donald Trump built it and made Ohio State pay for it.

What we didn't do in the past was show non-contributors the door. Harbaugh is culling the herd like Saban, Meyer and everyone else that is interested in winning championships.
    Last edited by Mike; January 14, 2016, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post

It would be my fondest wish that JH changes the handicap UM has imposed on themselves. I've always maintained that UM recruits with one hand behind their back, and I'd love for that to change. It's a competitive business, and it is high time UM competes on a level field.
      I guess I don't follow why you post all these links feigning outrage if you want Harbaugh to do the same thing.

In regards to the senior day, if you are tellingt them to leave after their 4th year even if they have a year of eligibility remaining, I'd say you are using both hands.

Comment

• They had seniors out there who are expected to be back. I don't think that number means much.

Comment

• I notice you use 2007-10? Why those years?
          Because those were the years used by the source I found and linked. Additionally it makes it easier to build on the more recent timeframe to build it out to 2007-16. In that time span, 1 JUCO for OSU. 1 JUCO for M (despite the "fact" they don't admit JUCOs). As for FUMA, I think OSU has had 5 kids from there that attended after high school. Eddie George, of course, went there during HS to get away from Philadelphia. Like the vast majority of students there. M has 1. It's a shame you think so poorly of FUMA. But even to the extent you do, OSU's 5 kids over roughly the past 20 years...probably 450 kids through the program...and 3, I think, over the past 10-15....and I don't think any of them were recruited by UFM....but, eh, whatever...

You're just flat wrong on other things. Been discussed at length. Have your final say.

There is a brick wall between academics and athletics at Michigan, Geezer. Always has been. The only way it could be any more massive is if Donald Trump built it and made Ohio State pay for it.
          Correct.

What we didn't do in the last was show non-contributors the door. Harbaugh is culling the herd like Saban, Meyer and everyone else that is interested im winning championships.
          Correct.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• froot said:
            In regards to the senior day, if you are telling them to leave after their 4th year even if they have a year of eligibility remaining, I'd say you are using both hands.
            Froot, it is a 4-year scholarship. And what does having 44 people at Senior Day matter. There may be managers and the like. I still am lost on your point, sorry. I guess I do miss the plot. Perhaps you are overly sensitive about the academics at MSU.

And my position on all this has been consistent since I joined the forum. I want UM to apply the same rules to itself that other B10 schools apply to themselves. Let's just watch where Sir Scott ends up playing ball. We have known he was going to be an academic casualty for some time.

Comment

• It has nothing to do with academics. I thing the 4 year scholarship line is a crock.

Comment

• It's a shame you think so poorly of FUMA. But even to the extent you do, OSU's 5 kids over roughly the past 20 years
                Counselor, don't try to change the subject. I think FUMA is a fine military school, and a great place for certain kids to go. That is not the issue at all. All I've ever said is that FUMA acts like a JUCO for OSU, and as such it's players should be included as a JUCO transfer when talking about that kind of transfer. You and I agree that recruiting is partially about branding, and OSU fans will many times try to float the idea that "All B10 schools (except Northwestern) are basically the same academically". That is provably false. UM's brand includes a prestigious degree, Ohio's does not. And if you read my posts over the last year or so, you will see that I lament UM diminishing their brand by affirmative action. When I was at UM, the school was consistently in the top 5 nationally in academics. Of course, Detroit was the richest city in the nation too, and the two factors worked in tandem. I hope you agree I've maintained that UM should ditch the selectivity they had and compete on an even field with UFM and Satan. They are starting to do that, and I am all for it.

And you missed Ricky Dudley (1st round pick in 1996). That goes with Eddie George (1, Heisman) and Carlos Hyde (2) as FUMA/OSU pros.
                Last edited by Da Geezer; January 14, 2016, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• 44 seniors at the football bust is not a big deal.

A not-too-well-kept secret at ALL major football programs, is that Daddy and Mommy BigBucksAlumni often buy "johnny" a place on the team. Mommy and Daddy contribute 75 Gabillion bucks to a new research lab, and "Johnny" gets a football uniform, with his name on the back, and he gets to run out on the field, (under the banner) with the team, where he promptly is told to stay the **** out of the way while the game is on. These guys are "on the team" for HOME games only, and ONLY for that ONE day. They don't do anything else with the team. They simply get in uniform, and stand on the sideline, out of the way. That's why even though the NCAA says you can have 85 scholarship players, .. you'll see about 140 players running out of the tunnel on game day. How do they do that? That's how.

So, if 44 "seniors" were honored, I freaking guarantee not all of them were ON the team.

And, MSU does it ... and OSU does it ... and Alabama does it... and, well, .. they all do it.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• We're losing 4 starters to graduation and there were 44 seniors on the team. Purge baby purge!

Comment

• Per mgoblog this guy, http://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Dwumfour-80076, a teammate of Gary, is committed to PSU but visiting Michigan soon. If I read it right he's the 965th-best recruit in the 247 composite ranking. Which makes me wonder if Gary isn't as solid as we want him to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        We're losing 4 starters to graduation and there were 44 seniors on the team. Purge baby purge!
                        So if there were 44 seniors, there must be at least 44 juniors, 44 sophomores, and 44 freshmen.

For you MSU fans who don't have enough fingers and toes to do the math, that's 176 players. And only 85 scholarships allowed.

Wow! That Harbaugh guy really makes a dollar stretch!!
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Whatever

Comment

• There are some excellent high school students in college football. I've followed recruiting for a long time, a long time ago they'd often report ACT/SAT and GPA for most recruits. Plenty were M caliber 'academically' back when these ACT/SA and GPA were commonly reported...

The issue is exactly what Harbaugh mentioned when he was at Stanford, that is that most every coach influences these kids to only choose majors, classes where they shouldn't have a challenge to stay eligible. Every university does this (with maybe a few exceptions). Even GVSU did this when I went there. Football players were taught by professors who taught classes that were only available to student athletes.

This is the case because taking a real college workload on top of all the activities required to play football (or many other sports) is pretty close to impossible even for Ivy League caliber students.

Comment

• Indeed. It strains credibility that a guys can leave with an engineering degree in particular. For a non-athlete that's time-consuming enough. There are obviously some special and very talented people out there, but very few.

Comment

• Damn...

Would you like to bet $ 1,000.00 today that in 2017-18 OSU doesn't get as good a contract as UM now has with Nike? They will then have the advantage being the most recent school to make a deal? Time to put up or shut up.
                                ...I've now given away $1500 in less than 6 months....bravo, Talent, bravo...
                                Last edited by iam416; January 14, 2016, 07:11 PM.
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X