X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God, that sounds real.

Comment

• This is great

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAbSaOOnB1s"]President Trump's offer for the American people - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
        When we stand back, decades from now, and have the context of time, I hope we'll see Rupert Murdoch as one of the most corrosive figures of this era. Utterly vile creature. The sons could turn into all that's fair and just and donate every penny and it still wouldn't be enough.
        It's amazing that Fox News is like his most respectable media outlet. The news of the world stuff is shocking. As is Piers Morgan's involvement in it.
        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• That's a scarce public resource -- the broadcast spectrum -- used to fuck with the public for profit. What's so depressing is that he doesn't even give a fuck. The phone-hacking scandal was apolitical. It's just whatever he can do to fuck with a population in order to line his own pockets. That the UK would actually give him MORE access through the national spectrum is utterly insane. Capitalism selling the noose by which it will hang...

Comment

• > 90% of the confederate army didn't own slaves

lee fought for Virginia not for slavery

most fought because they believed the state > federal authority

not saying they weren't pro slavery but most enlisted guys didn't fight because they were afraid of losing slaves

certainly our indian culture is celebrated throughout the country with shrines to some individualks who were considered brutal killers

we celebrate gangsters and the mob and fascinated with serial killers

I think Robert e lees house still stands at Arlington --is that the next target?

hopefully cooler heads prevail

Barcelona has to be about the 7th or 8th major city attack in Europe in the last 2 years

one of these days somebody is going to pull that shit at a parade or at some sporting event. I cant believe it hasn't happened over here. there has to be some sleeper cells established over here as widepread as they seem to be in europe

Comment

• Professor Kirt von Daacke, co-chair of the University of Virginia President's Commission on Slavery and the University, explains that the Robert E. Lee statue in Charlottesville was erected in 1924 “as part of the apex of white supremacist rule in Virginia and the US. It was explicitly part of a project designed to claim public space for whites only and remind African Americans that they were the dominated whose lives were worthless.”

Both the statue of Robert E. Lee and a nearby statue of Stonewall Jackson, he continues, were installed just after the KKK marched directly into the heart of the African-American community.

“These statues,” he says, were “the final act in a 30-plus-year project in Virginia ... eliminating African Americans from citizenship and the public sphere and erasing the history of the Civil War.” He sees both of them as part of a Lost Cause mythology that itself was a whitewashing of history.

“To call these statues historical is to be willfully ignorant of history,” he adds. “The statues are monuments to white supremacy, not to Lee, not to Jackson.”
              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Those statues have been a lot more about Jim Crow than veneration the old war heroes. It's part and parcel of the Lost Cause, a great trick of misdirection. People are rightly butt hurt about lynchings and segregation. Last Friday night that march was a lynching cosplay. You don't chant "Jews will not replace us" and "Blood and soil" if you are trying to protect the legacy of Robert E. Lee, what were they chanting to commemorate him?. That was a march to remember the memories of the Klan, the hint was the torches.
                Last edited by froot loops; August 18, 2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• From CNN. I guess the Marriot wasn't available. I don't think it speaks to the question of impartiality, but it does appear to be a blatant tactic to further enrich Not My President Chump.

Gorsuch is scheduled to headline a luncheon celebrating the 50th anniversary of conservative group The Fund for American Studies on September 28, days before the next SCOTUS term begins October 2.
                  Steve Slattery, a spokesman for The Fund for American Studies, said Gorsuch had nothing to do with venue choice, which was made long before the group asked Gorsuch to speak.

"We looked for a number of venues for our luncheon, and we ultimately picked that hotel because of its location and the amenities," he said.

After a press release announced the event on Wednesday, progressive groups seized on the fact that the luncheon will be held at President Donald Trump's hotel in DC.

Located blocks from the White House, the Trump International Hotel is the subject of multiple lawsuits. Despite a pledge to isolate himself from his business, Trump held on to his assets and placed them in a trust in his name. That arrangement means he will benefit from the success of the business, even if he doesn't reap the rewards until after he leaves office.

Elizabeth Wydra of the Constitutional Accountability Center represents more than 200 members of Congress in a lawsuit alleging in part that Trump is violating a provision of the Constitution -- known as the Foreign Emoluments Clause -- which prevents the President from receiving payments from foreign governments without the consent of Congress.

"The Trump International Hotel is ... one of the primary ways in which foreign governments are seeking to curry favor with the President, by holding events there, " Wydra told CNN. "Given that these cases could very well make their way to the Supreme Court, Justice Gorsuch agreeing to speak there raises questions about his impartiality."
                  “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
                    > 90% of the confederate army didn't own slaves

one of these days somebody is going to pull that shit at a parade or at some sporting event. I cant believe it hasn't happened over here. there has to be some sleeper cells established over here as widepread as they seem to be in europe
                    Eric Rudolph tried to bomb the 96 Atlanta Olympics. Or is that not what you mean precisely?

Comment

• terrorism to me is preplanning and executing an attack designed to take out people you don't specifically know with the specific motive of exploiting/publicizing your "cause"

I guess 96 qualifies although im not sure what rudolphs

in Europe they've had nice france/paris france x 2, Brussels, Barcelona, munich, London x 2 and Manchester.

the easy answer is there's not a body of water separating Europe from extreme muslim terrorists who have claimed responsibility for each of these groups

the hard question-- would you support increased immigration guidleines or not

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                        Those statues have been a lot more about Jim Crow than veneration the old war heroes. It's part and parcel of the Lost Cause, a great trick of misdirection. People are rightly butt hurt about lynchings and segregation. Last Friday night that march was a lynching cosplay. You don't chant "Jews will not replace us" and "Blood and soil" if you are trying to protect the legacy of Robert E. Lee, what were they chanting to commemorate him?. That was a march to remember the memories of the Klan, the hint was the torches.

true.. and I'm sure that group is upset about the statues. but you basically inferred AA is with that group because he likes statues and is ok with them staying.

Seems like that is very similar to someone saying All BLM members are looking for violence because some have. Something, I believe, you've argued against.
                        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• my opinion is it doesn't change the past... it doesn't change what happened. Should they be on state grounds, probably not.. but I think we have bigger issues to solve than a statue about the past.

either way, I don't lose sleep over it. I just think americans spend weeks on topics that won't make a difference. Somewhat interesting, I guess.

Comment

• Pastor urges Chicago mayor to remove washignton statue. In some ways, I hope they do this. Not because it will make a difference, but maybe it will be viewed as so silly, that society will make the correction quicker. Or maybe that will take a large city name change..

Comment

• I didn't imply that at all. You wrongly inferred that, I was replying to crash course and his recitation of civil war history with his talking about people being butt hurt. If AA was marching with them in Charlottesville then it's a different story, but he wasn't. I think it's a local issue and should be decided locally.

The big issue is the marchers and the torches and the chants. If somebody is going to talk about southern heritage or whatever, be clear on what heritage it is celebrating. The Robert E Lee statue is somewhat of a MacGuffin.

Comment

• The people marching made it very clear what they want.. no question.

Comment

Working...
                                X