No announcement yet.

Detroit Red Wings & the NHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've attended many an NHL game over the years, first at the old Olympia (showing my age) and more recently at the Joe Louis. For some reason the appeal has worn off and I think it has to do with the unpredictability and "luck of the bounce" that often determine the outcome. The complexity and strategy that go into football have succeeded in replacing BB as the national sport. Anyway, I guess I'm not Canadian enough.

I posted this little joke several years ago, but some may have missed it:

Question: Why do Canadians like to do "it" doggie style?

Answer: So they can both watch the hockey game.

Comment

• Attended my first & last NBA game, Heat/Spurs, disgusting
      LOL! You didn't care for the squeaking of shoes on the court?

NFL is still good (when you have a wager on the game).

MLB - The Tigers I will always like, but its so slow to follow, good to have on while working in the garage.

Comment

• Wings interested in Jumbo Joe Thornton especially after the Sharks blow a 3-0 playoff lead against the LA Kings.

There's not an active NHL player that has score more points in the League than the Sharks' captain, plenty of cap space, Holland needs to pull the trigger.
        ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Biggest choke artist who ever played the game, he wants to stay with the Sharks anyway.

Comment

• Might still be the 2nd best setup man in the League....6 ' 4" giant down the middle, play him with Datsyuk or Zetterberg, golden I tell yah. Needs to wave ins no-trade.
            ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Thornton couldn't lead a horse to drink. He's a loser.
              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• No surprise, The Kid picks up some early hardware at the NHL Awards in Vegas.....Best Player in the NHL as voted again by his fellow NHL Peers, well done Sir!

PENGUINS CAPTAIN CROSBY WINS TED LINDSAY AWARD

LAS VEGAS -- Sidney Crosby has been recognized by his peers for the second year in a row.

The Pittsburgh Penguins captain took home the Ted Lindsay Award as the most outstanding player in the NHL as voted by fellow members of the NHL Players' Association at the league's awards show on Tuesday.

Crosby beat out Anaheim Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf and Philadelphia Flyers captain Claude Giroux for the honour during the ceremony held at Encore Theatre in the Wynn Las Vegas hotel.

The three centres are also the finalists for the Hart Trophy, which was to be handed out later Tuesday. That trophy is awarded by the NHL to the player considered most valuable to his team, effectively the league's MVP.

Comment

• Pens' Crosby collects hat trick at NHL Awards!

The Penguins' Sidney Crosby shows off his (from left to right) Ted Lindsay Award, the Hart Memorial Trophy, and the Art Ross Trophy given to him at the 2014 NHL Awards.

Comment

• NHL awarded their best last night. Nearly a total Canadian sweep, (including all the major awards)...they should change the award ceremony name to the Maple Leaf Awards.

11- CDN (All Majors)
                    02- USA
                    1-RUS
                    1-FIN

Breakdown as follows:

Sidney Crosby, Hart Trophy as the NHL's most valuable player.
                    Sidney Crosby, Art Ross Trophy as the league scoring champion.
                    Sidney Crosby, Ted Lindsay Award as the players' choice for the NHL's most outstanding player.
                    Patrice Bergeron, Selke Trophy as the NHL's best defensive forward.
                    Duncan Keith, Norris Trophy as the league's top defenceman.
                    Goalie Tuukka Rask won the Vezina Trophy.
                    Coach of the Year, Patrick Roy won the Adams Award.
                    Rookie of the Year, Nathan MacKinnon, became the youngest player to win the Calder Trophy as the NHL's top rookie.
                    Alex Ovechkin, Richard Trophy as the NHL's top goal-scorer.
                    Jonathan Quick, Jennings Trophy for the NHL's fewest goals allowed.
                    Dominic Moore, Masterton Trophy, an award for perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.
                    Colorado's Ryan O'Reilly won the Lady Byng Trophy for his sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct.
                    General Manager Bob Murray was voted the NHL's general manager of the year.
                    Andrew Ference won the King Clancy Award for humanitarian contributions to hockey.
                    Dustin Brown won the Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award for his charitable work.

Comment

• NHL Draft underway in Philadelphia.

9 of the top 10 are Canadian & 1 Dane (Ehlers). And yes Nylander was born in Calgary, Alberta although he plays for MODO.

Top Ten picks as follows:

FIRST ROUND
                      Pick Team Player POS. 2013-14 Team

Florida Panthers*
                      Aaron Ekblad
                      D
                      Barrie (OHL)

Buffalo Sabres
                      Sam Reinhart
                      C
                      Kootenay (WHL)

Edmonton Oilers
                      Leon Draisaitl
                      C/LW
                      Prince Albert (WHL)

Calgary Flames
                      Sam Bennett
                      C
                      Kingston (OHL)

New York Islanders
                      Michael Dal Colle
                      C/LW
                      Oshawa (OHL)

Vancouver Canucks
                      Jake Virtanen
                      RW
                      Calgary (WHL)

Carolina Hurricanes
                      Haydn Fleury
                      D
                      Red Deer (WHL)

Toronto Maple Leafs
                      William Nylander
                      C
                      MODO (Sweden)

Winnipeg Jets
                      Nikolaj Ehlers
                      LW
                      Halifax (QMJHL)

Anaheim Ducks**
                      Nick Ritchie
                      LW/RW
                      Peterborough (OHL)

Comment

• New Capitals HC Barry Trotz: Ovechkin 'has got a bit too much glide in his game'

Alex Ovechkin took plenty of heat last season for his minus-35 rating, but new Washington Capitals head coach Barry Trotz offered a much different critique of the winger to reporters Saturday. "Alex has a little too much glide maybe in his game," Trotz said, via Scott Burnside of ESPN.com. "He's trying to score too much. He's getting not as much space, actually. "When he's moving, he can do things with the puck, he can beat you with his skill, he can beat you with his size and speed and hold you off."Trotz would like to see Ovechkin skate back hard when he's without the puck so that when the Capitals are in possession, he's in a better position to create scoring chances."Sometimes when you're standing still, you think, 'Hey I'm in a position where if I get the puck I'll score,' but you're easier to cover," Trotz said. "We talked about that. That's a process. But I think he gets a little less glide in his game, he'll be as dynamic and hard to handle as he ever was."

LOL, Nice, bet he does not last the season.

Comment

• Without a doubt, the greatest athletes the world never cease to amaze. Waterloo, Ontario native Kyle Platzer, $1.85 wet.

Oilers prospect hits 337-yard drive at orientation camp.

The Edmonton Oilers began orientation camp for their prospects this past weekend. Among activities such as being brought into the wilderness by captain Andrew Ference, they went golfing.

Hockey players tend to make pretty good golfers, and at Friday's longest drive competition it was 19-year-old center Kyle Platzer who drove the ball 337 yards for the win.

To compare that to the PGA Tour pros, Bubba Waston's average drive is 314.1 yards which leads the tour.

Bravo, Kyle.

Comment

• Kid is a warrior, to have wrist surgery, injury he his during playoffs.
                            Thought he might have been gassed playing over 100 games while 15 of 22 Pens were injured, in other words carried the entire team while Malkin spent half the season on IR. Still managed to win everything relivaint in the hockey world less the Cup....next year.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/07/09/pit...-wrist-surgery

Comment

• Still managed to win everything relivaint in the hockey world less the Cup

Really OP come on, your easily pleased or you goals are not high enough. Staney Cup or bust! This would be like Michigan winning everything - But the Big Ten - losses vs ND, MSU and OSU - and the Bowl game - not exactly sports nirvana if your an M fan.

Back to the Wings - Signing Dan Cleary is not going help, and (gulp) Kyle Fucking Quincey!!! Are you kidding me?? Holland and/or Babcock can leave next year, im fine with that.

Comment

• Hard to understand why Kessler, Meyer and/or Green are not Wings? Given cap space.

As for the Pens they deal 40 goal scorer James Neal to the Preds for nothing?

I'm gonna say it now, it will be interesting to see how many NHL teams "throw" their season in order to draft phenom Connor McDavid? Pens did it in '84 to get Lemieux and we know how that worked out.
                                Last edited by Optimus Prime; July 14, 2014, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X