Old December 6th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #8761
UKBB

Roger Goodell signs contract extension as NFL commissioner
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:55 PM   #8762
dpatnod

Fucking Mulbach!
Old December 6th, 2017, 10:37 PM   #8763
LightninBoy

Where can I find an organization that pays me $200 million to ruin it? I can do that job.
LightninBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 6th, 2017, 10:45 PM   #8764
LightninBoy

ESPN has an article about the 1997 Heisman class and this picture:

One of these is not like the others ...
LightninBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 6th, 2017, 10:45 PM   #8765
KidD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightninBoy View Post
Where can I find an organization that pays me $200 million to ruin it? I can do that job.
Hell, I'll do it for a quarter of that!!!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Old December 7th, 2017, 11:01 AM   #8766
Futureshock

Report: Jets done with Muhammad Wilkerson after this season
Posted by Darin Gantt on December 7, 2017, 6:15 AM EST

Getty Images
The Jets are apparently fed up with Muhammad Wilkerson‘s act, beyond the quarter-long benching last week for being late.

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, a team source said “He’s gone,” after last week’s last straw.

While he’s capable of great play, he’s also on the kind of contract for which that’s expected on a regular basis.

He’s two years into the five-year, $86 million contract he signed in 2016, which contained $36.75 million in guarantees. The team was willing to listen to trade offers for him last offseason (a fairly quick case of buyer’s remorse), and may not be able to move his deal without restructuring.

If they cut him before the third day of the league year in March, they could avoid guaranteeing his 2018 salary of $16.75 million. If they did so, they’d take a $9 million dead money hit but clear $11 million in cap room. If they designated him a post-June 1 cut, they’d clear $17 million in room with a $3 million dead money hit.

Wilkerson refused to discuss his play this year or his future with the team, insisting he’d only answer questions about this week’s game against the Broncos. Perhaps he can read the writing on the wall. And perhaps he doesn’t mind what it says.
Old December 7th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #8767
Futureshock

Here's proof positive why the Lions have sucked for so long...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-half-measure/

Browns opt for a half measure
Posted by Mike Florio on December 7, 2017, 11:15 AM EST

Half measures never work.

It’s a lesson that was once communicated persuasively by Michael J. Ehrmantraut. And it’s a lesson that has been lost to date on ownership of the Cleveland Browns.

By firing executive V.P. of football operations Sashi Brown and committing to the 2018 return of coach Hue Jackson (who still may join Rod Marinelli as the charter members of Club Oh-And-Sixteen), Browns owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam have opted for a half measure, forcing the next person to run the football operation to work with Jackson for a year, even if that person would prefer to hire his own head coach.

That’s how it always works. G.M. wants his own coach. Coach wants his own quarterback. But whoever the Browns now hire as G.M. (or whatever title they give the next person) will be stuck with Jackson, for at least another year.

That necessarily will make it harder for the Browns to hire the best possible candidate, because the best possible candidate will opt for a team where the best possible candidate can hire his own head coach. It’s a point recently made here regarding what the Browns need to do. And, of course, they haven’t done it.

Chances are that they already know who they’ll hire, and that they know that the person they’ll hire is fine with Hue Jackson for at least a year (or, at a minimum, that the person they’ll hire claims he’s fine with Hue Jackson for at least a year). Browns fans should hope that’s the case, because that’s the only reasonable way out of the most recent maze of mirrors into which ownership has willingly placed itself.

It also meshes with the PFT report from October that the Browns had begun reaching out to football executives. Sure, they denied it. But they were doing it, and they presumably now know who they’ll be hiring, eventually.

If they don’t, and if they’re truly starting from scratch with a plan to hire someone who will have no choice but to work with Hue Jackson, Browns fans should get ready for more of the same in 2018.

Then again, maybe they should get ready for more of the same in 2018, anyway.

Sound familiar?
Old December 7th, 2017, 12:11 PM   #8768
Nick Pappageorgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureshock View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-half-measure/

Browns opt for a half measure
Posted by Mike Florio on December 7, 2017, 11:15 AM EST

Half measures never work.

It’s a lesson that was once communicated persuasively by Michael J. Ehrmantraut. And it’s a lesson that has been lost to date on ownership of the Cleveland Browns.

By firing executive V.P. of football operations Sashi Brown and committing to the 2018 return of coach Hue Jackson (who still may join Rod Marinelli as the charter members of Club Oh-And-Sixteen), Browns owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam have opted for a half measure, forcing the next person to run the football operation to work with Jackson for a year, even if that person would prefer to hire his own head coach.

That’s how it always works. G.M. wants his own coach. Coach wants his own quarterback. But whoever the Browns now hire as G.M. (or whatever title they give the next person) will be stuck with Jackson, for at least another year.

That necessarily will make it harder for the Browns to hire the best possible candidate, because the best possible candidate will opt for a team where the best possible candidate can hire his own head coach. It’s a point recently made here regarding what the Browns need to do. And, of course, they haven’t done it.

Chances are that they already know who they’ll hire, and that they know that the person they’ll hire is fine with Hue Jackson for at least a year (or, at a minimum, that the person they’ll hire claims he’s fine with Hue Jackson for at least a year). Browns fans should hope that’s the case, because that’s the only reasonable way out of the most recent maze of mirrors into which ownership has willingly placed itself.

It also meshes with the PFT report from October that the Browns had begun reaching out to football executives. Sure, they denied it. But they were doing it, and they presumably now know who they’ll be hiring, eventually.

If they don’t, and if they’re truly starting from scratch with a plan to hire someone who will have no choice but to work with Hue Jackson, Browns fans should get ready for more of the same in 2018.

Then again, maybe they should get ready for more of the same in 2018, anyway.

Sound familiar?
Rumor has it they want Dorsey...that shit isn't going to fly with him.

But they also have the unique situation where they have like 87 draft picks in the next few drafts....that will be enticing to an would-be GM

Last edited by Nick Pappageorgio; December 7th, 2017 at 12:21 PM.
Nick Pappageorgio is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 7th, 2017, 12:53 PM   #8769
Panoptes

IIRC, Reid was hired by KC before Dorsey. They worked together before so he went for the non traditional GM hiring process.
Old December 7th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #8770
Nick Pappageorgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoptes View Post
IIRC, Reid was hired by KC before Dorsey. They worked together before so he went for the non traditional GM hiring process.
No...that's right. I was confusing Dorsey with someone else (Pioli I think)
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:58 PM   #8771
Panoptes

Brad Childress-HC/OC/QBC/QC could also be available this off season.
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:18 PM   #8772
The King

Maybe the Chiefs can hire him.
The King is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:24 PM   #8773
dpatnod

Hue Jackson is off the table. The Browns ain't letting a good thing go!

Hey, anybody on here that can throw a ball?
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:37 PM   #8774
Panoptes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King View Post
Maybe the Chiefs can hire him.
I wouldn't mind. He's already the Assistant HC next to Reid
Old December 7th, 2017, 11:05 PM   #8775
dpatnod

Assistant to the HC.
Old December 8th, 2017, 08:30 AM   #8776
Futureshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoptes View Post
I wouldn't mind. He's already the Assistant HC next to Reid
Ohhh. That's ok then.
Old December 8th, 2017, 08:52 AM   #8777
Nick Pappageorgio

Hard pass on Childress
Old December 8th, 2017, 11:12 AM   #8778
Panoptes

‘We’re like a machine’: Cris Collinsworth defends PFF grades against players’ gripes

By*Dan Steinberg*September 20

Whenever Cris Collinsworth entered an NBC pregame production meeting with Chip Kelly, he knew what to expect: criticism, and lots of it. In 2014, Collinsworth had*become the majority owner of Pro Football Focus, a site whose granular NFL analysis and sometimes controversial grading system has been pouring into mainstream coverage. Kelly, one of the NFL’s bluntest coaches, wasn’t a fan.

“He*would just wear me out over the PFF data,” Collinsworth recalled. “He disagreed with this, or that, or whatever.”

Kelly didn’t confine his critique to those meetings, either. Late last season, when a reporter covering the 49ers suggested that one of San Francisco’s offensive linemen was statistically superior to another,*citing PFF data, Kelly let loose.

“I mean, I’ve said it all along: How can they grade an offensive lineman when they don’t know what the play is?” Kelly asked. He went through the standard*complaint: An outside analyst can’t know what play was called, or who*had what assignment, and thus the grading process is unreliable.

“I think there’s a lot of players and coaches that feel the same way,” Kelly said. “You can do whatever you want with it. It’s like me going into a bank and grading a teller because they gave me a lollipop. I gave them a 94.3.”

After the season, though, Kelly did what the company has invited its critics to do: He studied its process. He met some of its analysts*— who watch every player on every snap — and watched them make evaluations. And then, according to Collinsworth, he bought a share of the company.

“The coaches that have come in there*cannot*believe the process and how thorough it is,” Collinsworth said in a phone interview this week. “Is it perfect? I’m sure it’s not perfect. But it’s pretty darn close.”

That, of course, is not yet a universal opinion.*Thirty of the 32 NFL teams are paying customers of PFF, and Collinsworth said the company’s expansive film marking system is likely what’s most valuable to teams. PFF also deals in the purely objective, tracking various statistics, both traditional and advanced.

It’s the numerical grades, though, that prompt the juiciest headlines, especially as they’ve gained mainstream prominence. The 10-year-old company has deals with most broadcast networks, and NBC now features PFF grades during its weekly broadcasts. (Collinsworth*will be part of the call for the*Raiders-Redskins game on NBC’s “Sunday Night Football” this weekend, where you might learn that PFF ranks Terrelle Pryor Sr. 108th out of 108 wide receivers in run blocking.)

The Washington Post, which has run articles by PFF contributors since 2015, started using those grades in its Sunday preview sections this season. And with PFF grades increasingly part of the football conversation, it isn’t hard to find pointed dissent from NFL insiders.

Cincinnati Coach Marvin Lewis, for example,*once called PFF*“some dumb-ass web site that doesn’t have any idea of what football is.” Buffalo running back LeSean McCoy*told PFF’s graders*in February they were “a bunch of nerds who never played a lick of football in your whole life,” after*he didn’t make*the site’s list of the 101 best players in the league. “I have a hard time with people grading my players who don’t know what they’re doing,”*Minnesota Coach Mike Zimmer said in March. (His team is a PFF client, according to Collinsworth.) And Lions Pro Bowl offensive guardT.J. Lang*prompted national headlines last weekwhen he cast doubt on the PFF ratings, in which he’s fared well.

“They don’t know anything about identification, what offensive linemen are supposed to do,”*Lang said in a radio interview. “They’ve always graded me well, which I don’t mind, but I still don’t respect it.” Lang also noted the use of PFF grades in NBC broadcasts, saying*“I think it’s absolute garbage, and I think most players do.”

Collinsworth’s response?

“Let me put it this way: We’ve heard that a lot.*A LOT,” he said. “I mean, that’s like, ‘Hi, how are you,’ to us. It’s that common. … I*would say [Lang’s]*right to some extent. Are [analysts] gonna understand*everything*about their game plan and exactly what’s going on? No. But I’ll go right back to this: Every single coach that has ever walked through our doors has come out of their with their mouth open going, ‘I cannot believe what those guys know, I cannot believe how thorough and detailed and informed those guys are.’ “

Collinsworth is a convincing evangelist for his product, but it’s also easy to understand the trepidation inside locker rooms. Modern football sometimes feels oppressively complex, played for an audience of varied sophistication. Kirk Cousins*needed 255 words*to partially explain one failed red-zone play last weekend, and he was focused only on quarterback and receiver. Grading the play of a left guard isn’t like calculating a basketball player’s effective field-goal percentage or a baseball player’s OPS.

Collinsworth now uses 15 PFF analysts during his game broadcasts, who watch every individual matchup and provide instant grading and analysis at halftime. So what about casual fans and non-savants, who almost inevitably just follow the ball? It sometimes feels like we’re watching nuclear fission, and focusing on the color of the wallpaper in the lab.

“I think that’s right. My answer would be yes,” Collinsworth said, pointing out that every NFL coach will plead that he has to watch the film before answering detailed postgame questions. “So if Bill Belichick and Nick Saban can’t give you an answer immediately after the game, I would say the answer to the*question is that’s right: you cannot follow football in real time and know everything that’s going on, which is what makes it great.”

Great, sure, but also frustrating for modern fans who are used to quickly affixing numbers to every performance. PFF’s grades attempt to quantify a sport — or at least parts of a sport — that have traditionally resisted such calculus. Hence, the*hurt feelings and suspicion even from players such as Lang, whom PFF*has ranked as a top-eight guard three years in a row.

Collinsworth said the criticism has helped the company, that “by the time that you get beat up by GMs and players and coaches and fans and everybody when they think you’ve made a mistake, that hardens you. That makes you a better system.”*His 350 employees, he said, “watch more plays of football than any coach in the NFL … because at some point, those coaches have to go out on the field and coach, and my guys are still in there watching film.”

His company has hired former NFL figures, including longtime assistant coach Gunther Cunningham, former Redskins lineman Will Montgomery, and former Redskins assistant Bobby Slowik, who since has returned to coaching. Analyses are checked and cross-checked and re-checked; Collinsworth said he has seen single plays debated for 15 minutes, and that “if there’s any ambiguity at all” on a particular play, analysts are told not to downgrade a player. Longtime Bengals offensive line coach Paul Alexander last season reviewed about 600 plays where PFF had downgraded one of his blockers; he told company founder Neil Hornsby that he disagreed with perhaps 12, “which is pretty remarkable,” Alexander said.

Don't take it from us, listen to Paul Alexander – longest tenured OL coach. Disagreed with 12/600 plays.*pic.twitter.com/6FIXVuAa1I

— Ryan Smith (@PFF_Smith)*March 28, 2017

My savvier friends who use PFF’s grades call them at least a starting point for understanding individual player performance. Collinsworth said they are used in countless contract negotiations, and argued that they can give fans an honest reference point that they wouldn’t get from team employees.

“We’re like a machine. We have no emotion in this,” he said. “The coaches are gonna lie to [the public]; they’re not gonna tell ’em who’s playing well and who’s not playing well. So we’re the first ones that have ever said, ‘Well you know, the coach may say this, but we say*this*about that player.’ That creates a little stir. I mean, let’s face it: In many ways we are the bad guy, but we’re also the good guy for uncovering people and making stars out of people that*should*be stars, that deserve to be stars, that have never seen the light of day.”

Which is why even as the site makes occasional enemies inside locker rooms, it also creates occasional friends.*Take Chris Harris. The*undrafted Denver cornerback*had long been a darling of PFF, even before he signed a $42 million extension in 2014. The next year, PFF*ranked Harris the third-best cornerback in the game.*And he didn’t tell the company it was relying on clueless nerds. Instead, he singled PFF out for praise.

“They really only use one metric,” Harris*wrote in The Players Tribune,*“and it’s the simplest one there is: performance.”
Old December 8th, 2017, 11:25 AM   #8779
Mainevent

Quote:
“They don’t know anything about identification, what offensive linemen are supposed to do,”*Lang said in a radio interview.
On most plays, it doesn't seem like the Lions OL know what they are supposed to do.
Mainevent is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM   #8780
jaadam4

Damn. That’s a good article on PFF