No announcement yet.

Non-football related stuff that really makes your day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part of the problem is that the kids don't play ball much anymore unless it is organized. They don't have the all day neighborhood pick up games that used to be the norm
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I'm volunteer coaching a girls travel basketball team and hopefully I'm not a prick, lol. Seriously I work hard on teaching fundamentals and getting all the girls enough playing time.
      Forever One!

Comment

• Originally posted by Masspartan View Post
        I'm volunteer coaching a girls travel basketball team and hopefully I'm not a prick, lol. Seriously I work hard on teaching fundamentals and getting all the girls enough playing time.
        Of course it you coach you have to put up with asshole parents that think you don't know what the fuck you are doing and as NP said, every parent thinks their kid is the next Nike Trout.
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• When Jack was waiting to try out, I went over and talked to the two assistant coaches for the team that he ended up on. They told me if Jack was there and the numbers were right they would draft him.

It was funny to watch them. One kid came up and was a pretty good ball player-better than most than we'd seen. One of the coaches told the other to put a star by that kids name. I asked it that was so they would know to draft him. They laughed and said no, the was so they would be sure not to draft him. They said the kids father is such a pain in the ass that they didn't care how good the kid was, they didn't want him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Masspartan View Post
            I'm volunteer coaching a girls travel basketball team and hopefully I'm not a prick, lol. Seriously I work hard on teaching fundamentals and getting all the girls enough playing time.

and remember Mass, there's no crying in baseball////

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
              Of course it you coach you have to put up with asshole parents that think you don't know what the fuck you are doing and as NP said, every parent thinks their kid is the next Nike Trout.
              Ive been pretty lucky .... Only had one email from a parent whose kid is last off the bench. She wasnt angry, actually quite the opposite. She said her daughter liked me bedt of all the coaches but was lacking confidence. Wanted to know if I could find ways to get her to be more confident and sure of herself. It might be different with boys.
              Forever One!

Comment

• I've been lucky with my coaching experiences so far, but all of the have been in very low stress type leagues. and it all been little kids leagues....and I'm a little kid special Ed teacher, so to the parents it seems like I do this every day (and I do).

I'm contacting the guy who drafted my kid about being an assistant coach tomorrow. I enjoy doing it and Liam likes me to be a part of his teams.......so I'm probably going to ride this out as long as we both want to be part of each other's teams.

Went out and bought Liam a new glove today....I didn't get him a top of the line pro glove for $250 but I didn't want him to be the only kid on his team with the cheap ass glove.

$90 for a solid mizuno. He needed new cleats too .....so I got out for about 140.

Comment

• Had to get new cleats for Jack today. He is wearing adult size shoes now. $59. 20 bucks more than the same shoe a half size smaller. Fuckers.

Comment

When Jack was waiting to try out, I went over and talked to the two assistant coaches for the team that he ended up on. They told me if Jack was there and the numbers were right they would draft him.

It was funny to watch them. One kid came up and was a pretty good ball player-better than most than we'd seen. One of the coaches told the other to put a star by that kids name. I asked it that was so they would know to draft him. They laughed and said no, the was so they would be sure not to draft him. They said the kids father is such a pain in the ass that they didn't care how good the kid was, they didn't want him.
                    When coaching youth hockey, we too had to draft teams. After my first years experience, I was told by my brother that had several more years of experience to draft parents, not players.

You can teach players to play you can not teach parents to parent.

I followed his advice and while I didn't always have the most talented teams, we were always in the hunt for a championship and several years had a top 5 team in the State for their division.
                    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      I prefer the dance competitions, you can pick and choose the competitions. But the dance is so much more expensive than the sports, but with the travel sports it really ties up the weekend.
                      Yep. I greatly prefer Tae Kwon Do to baseball for that very reason too even though it is way more $$. A bunch of good kids and the parents aren't a bunch of douchbags, either.

My son's baseball coach from last year decided to put together a travel team for this year and asked my son to be on it. So far it is two nights a week of practice, but I'm already dreading the time commitment once spring gets here and they start to play in tournaments. It was expensive, too, but the grandparents footed the bill. I'm also a little worried - so far they don't even have 9 kids signed up - if he can't get enough we better get our $ back!
                      Last edited by kayrone; February 26, 2013, 09:44 AM.
                      "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

Part of the problem is that the kids don't play ball much anymore unless it is organized. They don't have the all day neighborhood pick up games that used to be the norm
                        So true, I wonder why that is. I practically have to force my kid to play outside -when I was his age every kid in the neighborhood was out all day either playing baseball or shooting hoops. My son is amazed that his MOM can catch pop flys and field grounders, but I was one of the only girls in the neighborhood back in the day, I had to learn to hang with the boys if I wanted to have any fun!
                        "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• (Although truthfully, I don't field grounders very well anymore. I'm old and it hurts.)

Comment

• Originally posted by kayrone View Post
                            Yep. I greatly prefer Tae Kwon Do to baseball for that very reason too even though it is way more $$. A bunch of good kids and the parents aren't a bunch of douchbags, either.

My son's baseball coach from last year decided to put together a travel team for this year and asked my son to be on it. So far it is two nights a week of practice, but I'm already dreading the time commitment once spring gets here and they start to play in tournaments. It was expensive, too, but the grandparents footed the bill. I'm also a little worried - so far they don't even have 9 kids signed up - if he can't get enough we better get our $ back!
                            For my daughter that is playing basketball we are shying away from travel softball and basketball. In softball she's the pitcher and one of her old coaches is always trying to get her to come out. I told her once you start doing these things, you have to probably stop dancing, there are too many conflicts. The problem is right now, she's always on of the top players on any of her teams, but the competition isn't that great at this age in these sports. Kids are just starting off, whereas in dance this is the the age where the competion is the hardest. You have to be really good to win.

In dance you get some over the top parents and over the top teachers, but I try to make a conscious effort not to dwell on it. I find if you just concentrate on helping to make the kid better and stay away from the Dance Mom type gossip, it makes life a lot easier.

Comment

Had to get new cleats for Jack today. He is wearing adult size shoes now. $59. 20 bucks more than the same shoe a half size smaller. Fuckers.
                              My son is in size 15 cleats, so pretty much we have to be on high alert at any Dunhams clearance rack. If we see size 15s that are available we have to snag them. Generally on clearance we can get them 20-30 bucks.

You got off easy though. I just had to spend 260 bucks on two pairs of dancing shoes for my daughter last week. One soft shoe and one hard shoe. The hard shoes cost 165 dollars. We've gotten by buying out the used shoe bin for all these years for hard shoes, but the she was wearing were 15 years old and worn out. Hopefully these new ones last, breaking them in is a pain though.

Comment

• My kids are still too young to be on any travelling teams, but the oldest plays hockey here in town. So Im sure my days numbered.
                                AAL:to be determined

2011 NFL Draft Wish List:

1. Patrick Peterson Cornerback LSU
                                2. Mark Herzlich Outside Linebacker Boston College
                                3. John Moffitt Center Wisconsin
                                4. Steve Schilling Guard Michigan
                                5. Jeremy Kerley Wide Receiver TCU
                                6. Carl Johnson Tackle Florida
                                7. Johnny Patrick Cornerback Louisville

Comment

Working...
                                X