Tracking former Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Keep in mind though that the list is supposed to be from the year 2000 on. So Ware wouldn't qualify.
    Wow... how'd I miss that part?

Even then, there's still people I'd put over Rogers and Harrington in that case. I get that Harrington is probably the biggest disappointment, considering the expectations, but the dude still contributed in a minimal fashion (okay, VERY minimal).

But look at the Lions draft history, at just their first two rounds each year, and think about how many of them provided absolutely NOTHING to the team. I'd agree Harrington and Rogers were arguably the most visible draft busts... but the biggest? Hell, naw.

Kevin Jones... Teddy Lehman... Mike Williams... Shaun Cody... Ernie Sims... Daniel Bullocks... Brian Calhoun (yeah, I know he was a third round pick, but the story behind his drafting qualifies him)... Ikaika Alama-Francis... Gerald Alexander... Jordan Dizon... I'd put all of them ahead of Harrington and Rogers, personally.

Comment

• Other than Jones, expectations were not even close to what was expected from Harrington or Williams which IMO drop them those you listed farther down the list. A player is not a bust if you didn't expect them to do much any way...

After further review I reluctantly put Williams above JFH, but I still say Harrington set the Lions back ten years because they wouldn't cut bait with his useless ass
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• The reason I don't like that argument is that you're basically pinning the failings of others on Harrington. He's not the one who kept penciling himself in as a starter despite performing at below replacement level. He didn't create the expectations on his career. That stuff just simply isn't on him.

As a result, when I think of a bust, I try to restrict it solely to what that round of pick should contribute to what they really provide the team. First and second round picks SHOULD be starters. Harrington certainly underperformed (good God did he underperform), but he provided SOMETHING. There are just so many players who should have been contributors that contributed effectively nothing that I have to put them higher on my list.

(And yes, I know that my placement of Brian Calhoun on my list runs contrary to that credo. I just absolutely love the story behind how that guy got drafted.)

Comment

• I didn't realize Curry retired in 2013. That's crazy. Teams reach for QBs who don't pan out, but for a LB to flame out that badly so quick is nuts.

Comment

• Gym Shworts doesn't like to blitz. So how much do you think he'll do it to MS?

Doug Pederson makes it clear defense is Jim Schwartz?s to run

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 22, 2016, 8:34 AM EDT
            Getty ImagesWe don?t know how Eagles coach Doug Pederson will fare in his first year on the job.
            But we know he?s steering clear of anything Chip Kelly, and embracing all things Andy Reid.
            Among the steps Pederson?s taking in his first chance at being the boss is leaving half the roster in the hands of someone else. He has no problem giving defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz the autonomy to run his side of the ball, primarily because that?s what Reid did for so long with Jim Johnson.
            ?I think this first time around, this first year, he?s implementing his defense, his structure, his style,? Pederson said of Schwartz, via Zach Berman of the Philadelphia Inquirer. ?He?s the professional on that side. My expertise is on offense. His is over there on defense. So whether I have suggestions or not, it?s our defense. But at the same time, he?s the master. He?s done it for 100 years. It?s proven. Just like the offense that I?ve been in is proven.
            ?I wouldn?t expect him to come over on the offensive side and make suggestions, whether it be on personnel or plays or the calling or any of that. So I kind of leave [the defense] up to him.?
            Pederson and Schwartz didn?t have any background together prior to coming together in January. But Schwartz does have a long history of running successful defenses, and has the head coaching experience Pederson lacks. But the new Eagles boss isn?t worried about that, saying they were clear about their roles.
            ?There were certain questions I asked about that,? Pederson said. ?He fully understands his role, his situation. He loves where he?s at as a coordinator. He did the head-coaching thing. He understands it.?
            Pederson?s trusting that it works as well as Reid and Johnson worked together for the Eagles for so long, because he has plenty of other things to worry about on his side of the ball, beginning with the short- and long-term future of their quarterback position.
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• FB Jerome Felton is among the Bills veterans on the roster bubble.
              Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Honestly if we are looking at busts for the Lions wouldn't Ware top the list. Top of the first round QB that played in what 5 games. Even Russell and Leaf did better than that.
                AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Ware was prior to the stated time frame.
                  I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Yeah, yeah I know many are before 2000, but since I've been following the Lions, the worst 1st round draft picks have been:

1970-Steve Owens
                    1973-Ernie Price
                    1981-Mark Nichols
                    1986-Chuck Long
                    1990-Andre Ware
                    1991-Chris Claiborne
                    2002-Joey
                    2004-Roy
                    2005-Mike Williams

Comment

• Ebron?

He better get off his can and show why he shouldn't be on the list.

Comment

• There was nothing wrong with the Steve Owens pick

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                          Ebron?

He better get off his can and show why he shouldn't be on the list.
                          Uhhh ya! He will be in front of the cameras when training camp starts and in the hot tub when it is over.
                          Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                          There was nothing wrong with the Steve Owens pick
                          Agreed. Owens played in the wrong era. His season ending injury would be an 18 month recovery now.
                          I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Gotta agree. I can't label someone's career being derailed by injuries to be a bust. Unfortunate, but not a bust.

Comment

• I was justing starting school back then. What is the story of Owens?

Comment

• Heisman Trophy winner out of OK. 19th pick of the draft. Injured his shoulder and missed most of his rookie year. Next year ran for over 1000yds (first Lion to do so). Was a very good back, but blew out a knee in 74 and never played again.

Comment

Working...
                                X