No announcement yet.

U of M thread (in the Lions Forum) :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He followed through. That's the definition of a Flagrant 2.
    I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• "the ejection of harris over bullshit had a lot to do with them falling apart. It was an unintentional play."
      ----------------------------------I heard them bitching about that on the radio last night on the way home.

GO LIONS "09" !!!!!!!!!
      GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Despite that idiot Jay Bilas' opinion:

Big Ten spokesman: League won't take action against U-M guard Manny Harris

by Jeff Arnold | The Ann Arbor News

League spokesman Scott Chipman said Monday afternoon that Big Ten officials reviewed the tape of Saturday's incident and decided that it did not raise to the level of the conference's sportsmanlike conduct policy.

The Big Ten concurred with Michigan coach John Beilein's 1-game suspension of Zack Novak after the freshman guard was ejected against Ohio State. Novak was called for a flagrant foul for elbowing Buckeyes' guard P.J. Hill in the face and did not play against Purdue.
        Last edited by Rocky Bleier; February 2, 2009, 04:26 PM.
        I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Andy Katz' column at ESPN.com:

Big Ten sends reminder after flagrant fouls abound

Last week, Wisconsin's Joe Krabbenhoft set a pick Purdue's Lewis Jackson didn't see, and the result was a concussion for Jackson.

The play, which wasn't called a foul, prompted the Big Ten to ensure that its officials understand the need to look for any inadvertent elbows.

The Big Ten's reminder to look for flagrant fouls and to use the monitor as necessary after the call to ensure a flagrant foul and possible ejection was reinforced by a memo sent out by the NCAA's coordinator of officials, John Adams.

One of the officials in that Tuesday Purdue-Wisconsin game was Jim Burr. He also worked the Michigan-Purdue game Saturday. He made the call to eject Michigan's Manny Harris after Harris, on the top of the perimeter, swung his elbow to create space to make a move and connected with Purdue's Chris Kramer's face, breaking Kramer's nose. Harris was whistled for a foul, Burr went to the monitor and Harris was issued a flagrant foul and an ejection, much to the dismay of Harris and Michigan coach John Beilein. Michigan, which held a 26-25 lead with Harris in the game, lost 67-49 without its 17.2-points-a-game scorer.

"There was no intent to injure Kramer, but he makes contact,'' Adams said. "The only option for Burr is to call a flagrant foul and to eject him. [Harris] makes contact.''

Adams said he issues a bulletin every month to look at a specific issue. Increased incidents of elbow clears was one of these issues. Adams reiterated that an official can go to the monitor after a personal foul is called to see whether it is flagrant. He said there is heightened awareness for officials like Burr to look for contact resulting from an elbow.

"As soon as there is an excessive use of the elbow, there is no option for the official -- he must call a flagrant foul and eject the player by rule,'' Adams said. "You can't read intent. How would we read intent?''

Adams went on to say that once Harris had the ball, he was responsible for his actions.

"Manny Harris had an inadvertent elbow,'' Adams said. "It wasn't a judgment for Burr. Harris made contact, it's a flagrant foul. You tell the coach that's the rule. In this case, I'm defending [Burr] that he made the right call. But there was no intent for Harris to injure.''

And that is a key statement by Adams -- an official cannot rule on intent because there is no way to know whether a player intended to hurt another.

On Wednesday, Michigan's Zack Novak swung back his elbow at the free throw line and connected with Ohio State's P.J. Hill late in a 72-54 loss to the Buckeyes. Novak was ejected from the game.

In that instance, Novak was suspended by Beilein (and signed off by the Big Ten) for the subsequent Purdue game.

"The Big Ten didn't suspend him; the university did,'' Beilein said. "What he did was wrong. That was wrong. Novak ran sprints every day. We don't teach or condone any of that. You can look at the angles, but I believe that what Manny did was a basketball move.''

Beilein said Novak, who hadn't been in trouble all season, was "out of character'' in that moment and as a result missed a game in his home state against Purdue. According to Beilein, the Harris elbow shouldn't be compared to Novak's.

"I've coached 35 years, and [Novak's ejection] was an isolated incident, and [Harris'] was a judgment call,'' Beilein said. "It wasn't intentional. My guys don't do that stuff.''

Beilein did think Kramer was in close on Harris, and that's why his face was caught by Harris' elbow when Harris swept across the space. Still, Beilein was quick to praise Kramer's defense, saying "I've never seen a guy with such quick hands.''

Meanwhile, the Wolverines -- who have slumped lately and with the two road losses this past week dropped to 14-8, 4-6 in the Big Ten -- are in trouble. Michigan still has to play Minnesota twice, Michigan State and Purdue in its quest to get to the NCAA tournament for the first time this decade. The Wolverines also play at Connecticut on Saturday. Michigan does have bankable nonconference wins over Duke at home and UCLA in New York. While the schedule is daunting, you can make the argument that Michigan at least has plenty more opportunities for quality wins to right its current path.

Beilein said poor 3-point shooting of late is to blame for the Wolverines' slide. Not making 3s has made it tougher for Michigan to score inside.

"We're going through a tough stretch,'' Beilein said. He's not too pleased that the Wolverines play suddenly surging Penn State on Thursday before the Saturday game at Connecticut, while the Huskies play at Louisville on Monday and have the week to get ready for Michigan. But Beilein said he's not going to focus too much on the negative, adding that he's building a program. He obviously doesn't want to be judged on whether the Wolverines make the NCAA tournament in Year 2.

Beilein added that there are plenty of teams going through a difficult stretch of games right now and losing, such as Arizona State, Notre Dame and Georgetown. He's right. All those teams, including Michigan, looked like locks for the NCAA at one point but now will have to beef up their r?sum?s to ensure bids.

Comment

• U-M picked up a couple of guys from Florida 4* QB/ATH Denard Robinson and 2* Adrian Witty DB.

They lost a couple of 4* DT however in Pearlie Graves, and DeQuinta Jones.
            Forever One!

Comment

• Graves and Jones have been soft verbals for a long time. I don't know why kids "commit" so early and then spend several months looking around. Maybe they just want to assure themselves a spot just in case.

Also secured Je'ron Stokes, a 4 star WR from Philly who had originally committed to Tennessee, but didn't like Lane Kiffin telling Tahj Boyd he wasn't needed.
              Last edited by Rocky Bleier; February 4, 2009, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• Kiffin takes a shot at Meyer:

Speaking in front of a crowd of more than 1,000 fans at a "recruiting celebration" in Knoxville, University of Tennessee football coach Lane Kiffin assessed his first recruiting class, trumpeted his coaching staff and engaged in what clearly has become a favorite past-time: verbal jousting with Florida coach Urban Meyer.

On National Signing Day Wednesday, the Vols garnered the signatures of two former Gators commitments - Paris, Tenn., native Marsalis Teague and Pahokee, Fla., product Nu'Keese Richardson.

Saving Richardson's highlights until the end of the 90-minute presentation, Kiffin delighted in recounting the 5-foot-9, 151-pound Richardson's recruitment. Kiffin indicated Florida's Meyer violated NCAA rules and showcased the value of new Vols running backs coach Eddie Gran, a South Florida recruiting staple.

"Just so you know, when a recruit's on another campus, you can't call a recruit on another campus," Kiffin said Thursday morning at the Knoxville Convention Center. "I love the fact that Urban had to cheat, and still didn't get him (Richardson). Great job man!"

Comment

• Thats great. I don't know if Kiffin will be any good but any time you take a shot at Meyer, you get a good mark in my book.

On a side note, I do get a kick out of the recruits whose position is athlete. I don't know why it cracks me up but it does.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
                    Kiffin takes a shot at Meyer:

Speaking in front of a crowd of more than 1,000 fans at a "recruiting celebration" in Knoxville, University of Tennessee football coach Lane Kiffin assessed his first recruiting class, trumpeted his coaching staff and engaged in what clearly has become a favorite past-time: verbal jousting with Florida coach Urban Meyer.

On National Signing Day Wednesday, the Vols garnered the signatures of two former Gators commitments - Paris, Tenn., native Marsalis Teague and Pahokee, Fla., product Nu'Keese Richardson.

Saving Richardson's highlights until the end of the 90-minute presentation, Kiffin delighted in recounting the 5-foot-9, 151-pound Richardson's recruitment. Kiffin indicated Florida's Meyer violated NCAA rules and showcased the value of new Vols running backs coach Eddie Gran, a South Florida recruiting staple.

"Just so you know, when a recruit's on another campus, you can't call a recruit on another campus," Kiffin said Thursday morning at the Knoxville Convention Center. "I love the fact that Urban had to cheat, and still didn't get him (Richardson). Great job man!"
                    Lane is winning me over.
                    The Lions went 11-5 in 2014

Comment

• A look back at Rivals top 100 of 2005. High hopes, but ultimately a disappointing class for Michigan. Darren McFadden rated behind Kevin Grady?

Last edited by Rocky Bleier; February 5, 2009, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
                        A look back at Rivals top 100 of 2005. High hopes, but ultimately a disappointing class for Michigan. Darren McFadden rated behind Kevin Grady?

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com...asp?CID=908560
                        Interesting to see how few of the top 100 even pan out at the college level, let alone make it in the NFL.
                        Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• big ten recruit class rankings.
                          Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• The opposite of Purdue. M down by 2 midway through the second half, then goes on a 25-6 run. Ahead 59-42 with about 4:00 to play.

Comment

• Starting CJ Lee at PG was a move that had to be done. If you can't be big up front, you had better have some big, physical guards.

Hopefully this is the change that turns U-M around.

Comment

• If they hang on it's a very big win.
                                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Working...
                                X