No announcement yet.

Celebrity Death Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Toler Dead: Former Allman Brothers Guitarist Dies At Age 65 After Battle With Lou Gehrig's Disease

Former Allman Brothers Band guitarist Dan Toler has died at the age of 65, reports Billboard.com.

Steve Fayette, a friend of Toler's, confirmed on Feb. 25 that Toler passed away in his sleep after a two-year battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, better known as ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease.

According to Rolling Stone, Toler joined the Allman Brothers in 1979, and played on their comeback album "Enlightened Rogues," as well as their 1980 album, "Reach for the Sky," and the following year's "Brother of the Road."

His battle with ALS was particularly difficult for the musician, as the disease eventually left him unable to speak and unable to play guitar, his close friend Chaz Trippy told Ticket Sarasota.

Singer and actress Bonnie Bramlett, who performed at the two-day Dan Toler ALS Support Benefit Concert Festival at Herschberger Ranch in Sarasota in November 2011, had to choke back tears when she recalled playing the benefit alongside the musician, who was restricted to a wheelchair, but at the time still able to play guitar.

?To see how Danny walked tall through that disease and play guitar so beautifully with his blue eyes burning that night. What a hero," she told the website. ?He really showed people how to live, and how to die. He really made you check yourself. What a great man and a great musician.?

A post on his official Facebook page reads, ?It is with great regret and sadness that our dear friend and loved one, Dan Toler, passed away peacefully in his sleep last night. Future service to be announced. Please keep Debbie and the family in your prayers. We would also ask at this time that you would respect the family?s privacy. The Toler family thanks you for all your love and support.?

Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• I am heavy hearted with grief this morning. My cousin (by marriage) lost her son to the flu on Monday. He would have turned 3 on Friday. I don't know her well at all, but my heart breaks for her and her husband. I cannot even fathom the horror they are going thru right now. RIP little Garrett, and I pray that Shanna, Jason, and Garrett's 5 year old brother can find some comfort and peace in this terrible time. Just devastating.
      "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• I'm sorry to hear about this loss in your family Kayrone.
        "We'll know for the first time if we're evil or divine. We're the last in line." - Ronnie James Dio

Comment

• That is tragic news Kayrone. That is indeed the most uncomprehendible thing in life. Condolences to the family, I hope you and family are ok, and RIP little guy.
          "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Wow, that's less than two weeks older than my son. I don't even want to imagine that happening to him.
            2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• So sorry, Kayrone.
              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I'm sorry kayrone, that's just terrible news
                Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• Thanks guys. I just can't imagine. They had to leave him on life support so that his 5 year old brother could say goodbye. The psychologist recommended that they swap teddy bears so that he would have his brother's teddy bear to hug when he misses him. Soul crushing sadness for that poor family. My kids are getting smothered in hugs when they get home from school this afternoon.
                  "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• Wow! That sucks, Kay.

So sorry!
                    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Gosh, so young and to die from the flu...that shouldn't happen. I can't imagine what the family is experiencing. :(
                      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• I am so sorry Kay. My deepest sympathies go out to the family.

Comment

• Really sorry to hear that Kay,
                          AAL Quintez Cephus
                          If you fall during your life, it doesn't matter. You're never a failure as long as you try to get up.

Comment

• Wow, very sad Kay. Best to your family.

Comment

• Awful awful news. I cant even imagine the grief and the heartache that comes with a death like that. RIP little man. Godspeed.
                              AAL:to be determined

2011 NFL Draft Wish List:

1. Patrick Peterson Cornerback LSU
                              2. Mark Herzlich Outside Linebacker Boston College
                              3. John Moffitt Center Wisconsin
                              4. Steve Schilling Guard Michigan
                              5. Jeremy Kerley Wide Receiver TCU
                              6. Carl Johnson Tackle Florida
                              7. Johnny Patrick Cornerback Louisville

Comment

• Originally posted by kayrone View Post
                                I am heavy hearted with grief this morning. My cousin (by marriage) lost her son to the flu on Monday. He would have turned 3 on Friday. I don't know her well at all, but my heart breaks for her and her husband. I cannot even fathom the horror they are going thru right now. RIP little Garrett, and I pray that Shanna, Jason, and Garrett's 5 year old brother can find some comfort and peace in this terrible time. Just devastating.
                                It always hits home, sorry to hear it hit your fam Kayrone.
                                The Lions went 11-5 in 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X