DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Old January 12th, 2018, 07:35 AM   #861
Malto Marko

It should be noted that many of the talking heads are speculating that Patricia might not want to come here because JBC is still employed and that is an obstical to his authority over his staff.

The way I look at is is this.

JBC is still under contract and Stafford has made it public he likes working with him.

Keeping him is a smart move as long as you allow whoever gets the job to make the final choice. If whoever gets hired wants to bring in his own guy, so be it.
Old January 12th, 2018, 08:40 AM   #862
Mainevent

I don't think Quinn will force a coordinator on the new HC, and he's made it clear the players will not be involved in the HC hire, so Stafford's opinion won't impact it either. I think it's nothing but hot take bullshit.
Mainevent is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 12th, 2018, 09:16 AM   #863
CGVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainevent View Post
I don't think Quinn will force a coordinator on the new HC, and he's made it clear the players will not be involved in the HC hire, so Stafford's opinion won't impact it either. I think it's nothing but hot take bullshit.
Exactly
Old January 12th, 2018, 09:35 AM   #864
Nick Pappageorgio

I think Quinn has respect for JBC and he's regarded as an up and comer....but I doubt he'd force him on any HC.

And for defensive minded coaches....they want a good offensive mind on the staff. One less thing to worry about. And if JBC sucked (or continues to) he can be jettisoned after a year.
Nick Pappageorgio is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 12th, 2018, 09:36 AM   #865
froot loops

My hot take is front offices always have some say over who is getting hired on the staff unless you are giving the whole keys to the franchise to a coach.

My other hot take is Cooter did a pretty good job as the OC and the criticism was misplaced. I have no idea who is forcing what or whatever but the Lions are running something similar to what New England does, it's not the same but it's not a stretch to think that should continue.
froot loops is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 12th, 2018, 10:09 AM   #866
Frank Van Dusen
100 Miles Away

I think they are keeping him around so that when the new head coach is signed, he can decide if he wants to work with Jim Bob or not.

If the next coach is Patricia and the Patriots make it to the Super Bowl, then they won't be able to hire him until February 5th, and he won't be able to assemble his staff until after he is hired. This could put him behind the eight ball right away. Might as well see what he thinks of Jim Bob.
Old January 12th, 2018, 10:42 AM   #867
Panoptes

If it's not take BS, stop bringing it to the forefront and just sit back and wait to judge BQ. Spinning wheels at this point.
Old January 12th, 2018, 10:56 AM   #868
Mainevent

Has anybody asked to interview JBC? Austin had teams after him and the Lions allowed him to interview and eventually leave. But I've heard nothing about JBC.
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:06 AM   #869
Dan V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Van Dusen View Post
I think they are keeping him around so that when the new head coach is signed, he can decide if he wants to work with Jim Bob or not.

If the next coach is Patricia and the Patriots make it to the Super Bowl, then they won't be able to hire him until February 5th, and he won't be able to assemble his staff until after he is hired. This could put him behind the eight ball right away. Might as well see what he thinks of Jim Bob.
He can assemble his staff NOW (keep it zipped up and quiet), tell Quinn and no sweating will be involved.
Dan V is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:31 AM   #870
Malto Marko

That's what I said.

Truth is though, if he is targeting someone who is still in the playoffs, he is not supposed to be talking to them. On or off the record.

We both know, however, these guys have their own chain of communication.
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:46 AM   #871
Dan V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malto Marko View Post
That's what I said.

Truth is though, if he is targeting someone who is still in the playoffs, he is not supposed to be talking to them. On or off the record.

We both know, however, these guys have their own chain of communication.
You know that's what Kyle Shanahan did last year after he left the Falcons for the 49ers
Dan V is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:56 AM   #872
dwt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainevent View Post
Then fire the coordinator right now. If your assessment is anywhere close to being accurate, there is no reason not to let him go. The fact that hes still there means the new HC will either be Cooter or the new HC wont have a choice.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"
dwt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:59 AM   #873
Malto Marko

The reason not to let him go now, is to give the new guy the choice if he wants him or not.

I think that is a fair reason as long as the new guy can make the choice and is not forced to keep him.
Old January 12th, 2018, 12:32 PM   #874
dwt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malto Marko View Post
The reason not to let him go now, is to give the new guy the choice if he wants him or not.

I think that is a fair reason as long as the new guy can make the choice and is not forced to keep him.
That doesn’t make sense. The message you’re sending is that, you’re the type of organization that will string a guy a long that you don’t care if you retain or not. Wahoo, that’s where I want to work.

The only real reason to keep him, either he’a Your guy at HC, or he’s your #2 choice and your keeping Incase you don’t get your #1. Or you’re not going to give the HC a choice

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"

Last edited by dwt1; January 12th, 2018 at 12:37 PM.
dwt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 12th, 2018, 12:35 PM   #875
Malto Marko

No, the message is, you are still under contract to us until your boss (the HC) decides otherwise.

I am guessing even though we heard the rumors about the Giants that Quinn is banking on Patricia and thinks they have a deal.
Old January 12th, 2018, 12:35 PM   #876
Frank Van Dusen
100 Miles Away

This organization has had a lot worse reputations over the years, stringing a guy along is pretty milquetoast compared to their previous moves.
Old January 12th, 2018, 12:59 PM   #877
Mainevent

Austin was still under contract and they let him interview and take a new job. So with JBC it could be:

- Nobody has asked to interview him so there's no point in just releasing him from his contract
- Patricia (or whoever their top choice is) already indicated they would want to keep him around
- Or as has been pointed out, the Lions are holding on to him to let the new HC make the decision
Old January 12th, 2018, 01:37 PM   #878
froot loops

Nothing is going to get going until more teams get eliminated and the Lions have their guy. Yes I know Matt Patricia or Mike Vrabel or whomever can be informally talking to people but you have to wait until it is appropriate for franchises to ask permission. Maybe he has his own idea of a OC and when the team asks for permission they get denied. Maybe he wants to interview guys to see if he is on the same page or the Lions meet the salary requirements.

In 3 weeks we will know, but we aren't going to know much earlier unless the Titans win.
froot loops is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 12th, 2018, 02:14 PM   #879
Forsh

Doubt this, but if Quinn is all in on Patricia, he could also be holding on to Cooter as a lame duck one year fallback in case Patricia leaves him at the altar.
Old January 12th, 2018, 02:17 PM   #880
Forsh

PS of course this would happen as the NYG rumors are here ... but Patricia is growing on me. Love his background as an RPI guy and the fact that he was a C/G in his playing days is great.

You can't beat smart combined with tough. It's also nice that he's a DC who's had an offensive background as well.