DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Old December 26th, 2017, 11:46 AM   #1
Dan V

New Lions coaching candidates for 2018

Thought this needed a new thread. I just copied the bios from the patriots website since Quinn has tie-ins with these guys. List your wants, picks, and reasons and we can have some nice discussion. Hell, even put Caldwell in here if you want.

1. JOSH MCDANIELS
OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR / QB Coach New England Patriots
College: John Carroll University
Hometown: Barberton, Ohio
Experience: 16 years

Josh McDaniels was named New England Patriots offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach for the 2012 season after he re-joined the Patriots coaching staff in January 2012 as an offensive assistant. The 2017 season will be McDaniels' 14th season with the Patriots overall and his ninth as the team's offensive coordinator.

In eight seasons as offensive coordinator, McDaniels has guided the offense to six top-10 rankings, including the NFL's No. 1 ranked offense in 2007 and 2012. Additionally, Tom Brady has been elected to the Pro Bowl six times and eclipsed 4,000 yards passing for the eighth time in 2016. In 2016 under McDaniels' and assistant quarterbacks coach Jerry Schuplinski's guidance, Patriots quarterbacks set NFL records by going 258 pass attempts to start the season without an interception, throwing just two interceptions overall and had the best touchdown to interception ratio (16.00) in a single season. McDaniels also earned his fifth Super Bowl ring as a coach in 2016, his second as the Patriots offensive coordinator.

McDaniels left the Patriots to become the head coach of Denver in 2009 and in 2011, McDaniels moved on to St. Louis to become the offensive coordinator for the St. Louis Rams. Under McDaniels' guidance that season, Rams RB Steven Jackson eclipsed the 1,000-yard mark for the seventh consecutive season despite running behind an offensive line that started eight different combinations over the course of the season.

McDaniels spent the 2009-10 seasons as the head coach of the Denver Broncos after serving as an assistant with the Patriots from 2001-08. In his first stint with New England, McDaniels played a key role on a staff that won three Super Bowl titles and four AFC championships.

He first joined the Patriots organization as a personnel assistant on the 2001 team that defeated the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI, served as a defensive assistant on the 2003 club that won Super Bowl XXXVIII and was promoted to quarterbacks coach in 2004, a season that culminated with a victory over the Eagles in Super Bowl XXXIX.

In addition to his role with Patriots quarterbacks, McDaniels added the title of offensive coordinator in 2006. In his second season as New England's offensive play caller, McDaniels oversaw a unit that broke several NFL records, including points scored, touchdowns scored and most players scoring a touchdown.

Under McDaniels' tutelage, 2007 NFL MVP Tom Brady broke the NFL record for touchdown passes in a season (50) and led the league in both passing yards (4,806) and passer rating (117.2). Brady also set franchise marks in nearly every major passing category, while WR Wes Welker set the franchise record for receptions in a season (112) and WR Randy Moss broke the NFL record for touchdown receptions with 23. The Patriots offense also posted the franchise's highest average yards per rush in 22 seasons with 4.1 yards per carry, and the team's 17 rushing touchdowns were the second highest total in the previous 20 years.

During McDaniels' first season in Denver, QB Kyle Orton set career highs for pass attempts, completions, passing yards, touchdown passes and passer rating while tying his career low for interceptions. Orton's 3,802 yards were the sixth highest for a season in Broncos history. In 2010, the Broncos ranked seventh in the NFL in passing yards per game and finished 13th in total yards per game. WR Brandon Lloyd led the NFL in receiving yards with 1,448 and finished second in the AFC with 11 touchdown catches en route to his first Pro Bowl invitation.

Entering 2017, Brady has been elected to eight Pro Bowls during his nine seasons with McDaniels serving as his position coach. After Brady suffered a season-ending knee injury in the 2008 regular-season opener, another McDaniels protégé, Matt Cassel, led the club to a 10-5 record as a starter. In his first season as an NFL starter, Cassel posted the fourth-best completion percentage in Patriots history (63.4) while passing for 3,693 yards with 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

Prior to joining Bill Belichick's staff, McDaniels spent one season as a graduate assistant under Nick Saban at Michigan State.

PLAYING

McDaniels attended John Carroll University, where he played quarterback and wide receiver for the Blue Streaks from 1995-98. McDaniels was a college teammate of former NFL linebacker London Fletcher, Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio, assistant quarterbacks coach Jerry Schuplinski and director of pro personnel Dave Ziegler.

PERSONAL

A native of Canton, Ohio, McDaniels is the son of one of the most well-respected high school coaches in the country. Thom McDaniels was a finalist for the NFL High School Coach of the Year award in 2012, and Josh benefitted from growing up in a football family.

Josh and his wife, Laura, have four children.

2. MATT PATRICIA
DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR New England Patriots
College: R.P.I
Hometown: Sherrill, NY
Experience: 13

Matt Patricia enters his sixth season as defensive coordinator and 14th year coaching in the NFL after he was named defensive coordinator on May 10, 2012. He originally joined the Patriots in 2004 as a coaching assistant.

Patricia spent five seasons as the Patriots' linebackers coach and one season coaching the safeties. Since moving to coach the Patriots on defense in 2006, the team has finished in the top-10 in fewest points allowed in 10 of his 11 seasons with the defense. Patricia's 2016 defense finished as the No. 1 scoring defense in the NFL by allowing only 15.6 points per game. The six rushing touchdowns allowed by his defense were fewest in the league last season. Patricia has also helped the Patriots lead the NFL in turnover differential in 2012 (+25) and 2010 (+2 and finished first in the AFC in 2011 (+17). The plus-28 turnover differential in 2010 is tied with the 2011 San Francisco 49ers for the second highest single-season differential in the NFL since 1970.

Patricia joined the Patriots in 2004 as a coaching assistant and enjoyed immediate success, by helping coach the Patriots to a victory in Super Bowl XXXIX. The following season, Patricia aided Dante Scarnecchia as assistant offensive line coach in a season in which the injury-riddled running back corps combined to rush for 1,388 yards on 395 carries.

Prior to joining the Patriots, Patricia spent six seasons in the college ranks. Immediately preceding his move to the NFL, he was an offensive graduate assistant at Syracuse for three seasons. Prior to joining the Orange, he spent two seasons (1999-2000) as the defensive line coach at Amherst College. Patricia worked as an aeronautical engineer for two years before returning to coaching at Amherst in 1999. Patricia's first coaching experience came in 1996, when he served as a graduate assistant at his alma mater, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Patricia was a standout offensive lineman at R.P.I., playing both center and guard. He helped his senior class to an overall record of 31-8, and the Engineers won three ECAC Championships during his collegiate career.

PERSONAL

Matt Patricia was born on Sept. 13, 1974, and was raised in Sherrill, N.Y. He attended Vernon-Verona-Sherrill Central School, where he lettered in football and wrestling. He earned his bachelor's degree in aeronautical engineering from R.P.I. and later earned a master's degree in education from the University of Massachusetts. Matt and his wife, Raina, have two sons, Dominic and Dante, and a daughter, Giamina.

3.Jon Gruden
Dan V is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 26th, 2017, 11:50 AM   #2
Dan V

Look up what McDaniels did as head coach of Denver in 2009-2010. Not good.maybe he can learn since then.....
Dan V is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 26th, 2017, 11:56 AM   #3
Frank Van Dusen
100 Miles Away

Assuming Caldwell is fired, and I'm still of the belief that I will believe it when I see it, at least if they hired Patricia or McDaniels I wouldn't immediately hate the choice like I did when they hired Caldwell.
Old December 26th, 2017, 12:32 PM   #4
jaadam4

We hired the OC from a team that was at the bottom of the league for offense. It was a genius hire.
Old December 26th, 2017, 12:36 PM   #5
jaadam4

I read an article about how much work McDaniels has put in and how hard he was on himself from his time in a Denver. I wouldn’t mind the hire at all.

I’d have preferred him or Kyle Shanahan last year but I guess it better late than never
Old December 26th, 2017, 12:46 PM   #6
Cody_Russell

In a NFL where Ben McAdoo, Jim Tomsula, and Vance Joseph get head coach jobs... isn’t like a top of the line candidate would be willing to move to Detroit. Most head coach hires are uninspiring and only sound nice because of change.
McDaniels? He wouldn’t be given player personnel responsibility with Quinn here. I believe McDaniels made a lot of questionable moves in Denver... kind of like Chip Kelly tearing apart the Eagles.
I’d be on par with my excitement of hiring Schwartz when it comes to McDaniels.
Caldwell? Gotta look at the old thread in 2014, but I was with Tim Allen.

Top 10 ways Josh McDaniels has destroyed the Denver Broncos
http://www.westword.com/news/top-10-...roncos-5895750
Old December 26th, 2017, 12:55 PM   #7
Fraquar

Except Chip Kelly actually had GM-like powers. Not sure that was the case with McDaniels.
Fraquar is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 26th, 2017, 01:03 PM   #8
Cody_Russell

lol same conversation four years ago ... and yes CGVT, Chip Kelly didn't last long in the NFL.

Coaching Wish List
http://www.detroitlionsforum.com/for...ead.php?t=6375

Most, if not all, of us didn't like this.

Breaking News: Lions hire Jim caldwell LOL
http://www.detroitlionsforum.com/for...ead.php?t=6432

Same old Caldwell in 2014.

Caldwell is clueless coach and didn't prepare team
http://www.detroitlionsforum.com/for...ead.php?t=6672
Old December 26th, 2017, 01:13 PM   #9
Cody_Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraquar View Post
Except Chip Kelly actually had GM-like powers. Not sure that was the case with McDaniels.
I thought McDaniels had player personnel power while in Denver. At least Xanders was promoted a month after McDaniels was hired. ... part of the Cassel for Cutler. drama was created by McDaniels.

"But Xanders never had final say on roster decisions under Shanahan, McDaniels or Elway, who took over as vice president of football operations last year."
Broncos, GM Brian Xanders part ways
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...ders-part-ways
Old December 26th, 2017, 01:26 PM   #10
Fraquar

Only ones that I was aware of that had that were Belichek and Carroll.
Fraquar is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 26th, 2017, 01:35 PM   #11
Mainevent

Yeah, it was a big deal that McDaniels got the full keys to the football operation. Rarely works.

McDaniels would be as good on paper as any candidate. You just never know with these guys. I like DeFillipo from Philly but what do I know. And I would give McDaniels an exception, but other than him no retreads.
Mainevent is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 26th, 2017, 02:00 PM   #12
Lionsfan123

I'm not completely sold on Josh McDaniels but I do think he can bring some flare to the offense. Bill O'Brien could be on the way out in Houston and I would love to have the Lions interview him as well and make sure he doesn't leave Detroit.

Last edited by Lionsfan123; December 26th, 2017 at 02:05 PM.
Lionsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 26th, 2017, 02:03 PM   #13
Iron Lion

Teryl Austin
Iron Lion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 26th, 2017, 02:04 PM   #14
Frank Van Dusen
100 Miles Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lion View Post
Teryl Austin
Fuck no
Old December 26th, 2017, 02:32 PM   #15
Nick Pappageorgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Van Dusen View Post
Fuck no
I’m also a no on Austin.....not because I think he’s a bad coach but because we need a fresh start. But if they hired O’Brien/McDaniels and they wanted to keep Austin I wouldn’t be disappointed.

If anyone wants to point out the times in history when a DC was able to put together atop-10 D with the types of no-names that we have across the DL I’d be willing to change my assessment
Nick Pappageorgio is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 26th, 2017, 03:10 PM   #16
DanO

I'm not really enamored with McDaniels. Patricia either. Vrabel has my curiosity a bit. HATED the Cladwell hire at the time and he has proven to be the POS I thought he was.

Take us to the promised land Matthew.

Sincerely PollyAnna Dan.

Last edited by DanO; December 26th, 2017 at 08:23 PM.
DanO is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 26th, 2017, 03:11 PM   #17
froot loops

Lions expected to make a play for.Gruden according to Terry Foster
froot loops is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 26th, 2017, 03:29 PM   #18
FanFromCali

1. Frank Reich, Eagles OC
2. Matt LaFleur, Rams OC
3. Josh McDaniels, Patriots OC
4. Matt Patricia, Patriots DC
5. George Edwards, Vikings DC

I would be good with any of these five. Matt LaFleur is young, but he has already build an impressive resume. He could be a good "get" a year before he becomes the top name out there.

AAL: A'Shawn Robinson
FanFromCali is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 26th, 2017, 03:33 PM   #19
Mainevent

Not sure how I’d feel about that. Gruden’s been on easy street for nearly a decade.
Mainevent is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 26th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #20
FanFromCali

No on Austin or Cooter (although Austin will likely be interviewed). No on Gruden as well. (The initial buzz around the team would be huge, but he is overrated as a coach.) I would also not be excited about O'Brien (if he was let go).

I'm not sure about Vrabel. Like DanO wrote, I am curious.

AAL: A'Shawn Robinson
FanFromCali is offline   Reply With Quote Top