Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spartan Football - Owned and Operated by the University of Michigan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hack View Post
    What's in the ESPN story isn't new. We knew Dantonio had to dismiss that Corley bunch, and that he and Izzo have at other times ran a program more lenient. The story about the assistant is pretty bad, but Michigan did cover up Gibbons, at least until he exhausted eligibility. Michigan also seemingly dealt with the Grant Perry issue in a more-strict way. So, yeah -- it happens, and does and will. This is certainly an institution in crisis and cannot protect its own as it once did. Which maybe it shouldn't. It's a net positive in the future if institutions realize they can't protect a Nassar.
    someone told someone who told a reporter of a incident where Dantonio made a player call his parents.

that is the just of it. No information about the players name, no information about he allegation, no information of what else Dantonio did or didn't do, who else it was reported to or even if the event took place. Was that his punishment because a player pinched a chicks ass? who knows.

I flipped on ESPN for a min and they were talking at length about a rape victim that committed suicide, alledged rape happened in 2007 when Dantonio joined at MSU, nothing about whether he knew or didn't.

I find the reporting by ESPN on this highly irresponsible. They are trying to make the case that Dantonio is where sexual assault allegations went to die, and by every other proven instance, it seems like law enforcement was well involved, and no mention of team disciplinary action.

this is literally from the ESPN report

The woman admitted to police vandalizing some of his belongings, and he admitted to trying to drag her out of her car, during which she said he removed her left shoe and began to bend her foot down "like he was trying to break it." Both declined to pursue charges.

Prosecutors dropped the case after the woman declined to press charges.

Court records show no charges were filed.

The woman told police she only wanted him to apologize, which he did in an officer's presence, and no charges were filed.

The woman told campus police that she did not want to seek criminal prosecution but did want to report the incident to Michigan State judicial services. No criminal charges were filed.

In June 2015, campus police sent its report to the Ingham County prosecutor's office, which declined to file charges against any of the players, noting that the woman's writings could not be used as evidence and investigators were unable to independently corroborate her claims. (this is the one with the suicide)

it seems to me that law enforcement were well involved in these cases, not to mention the 4 players of the two cases currently ongoing. It has taken me this long and I can not figure out what wrongdoing Dantonio was apart of, or why he should step down because of it. But this is the new America, he will have to resign, because we are a outrage society that demands social justice. And when you add a modifier to the word justice, it no longer becomes JUSTICE. good luck to all head coaches across America, these players step out of line and it's gonzo for you.
    Last edited by Kapture1; January 26, 2018, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• An Outside the Lines investigation has found a pattern of widespread denial, inaction and information suppression of sexual assault and violence allegations by officials ranging from campus police to the Spartans' athletic department.

former Michigan State sexual assault counselor Lauren Allswede, who left the university in 2015 over frustrations about how administrators handled sexual assault cases, told Outside the Lines that MSU administrators' entire approach to such cases has been misguided for years. The biggest issue? Complaints involving athletes were routinely investigated and handled by athletic director Hollis' department, and sometimes even coaches, she says.

"Whatever protocol or policy was in place, whatever frontline staff might normally be involved in response or investigation, it all got kind of swept away and it was handled more by administration [and] athletic department officials," says Allswede, who worked at MSU for seven years. "It was all happening behind closed doors. ... None of it was transparent or included people who would normally be involved in certain decisions."

Allswede told Outside the Lines that about seven years ago, an attorney from the university's general counsel's department came to her office to try to reassure her that coaches were taking allegations of sexual violence seriously. Allswede says the attorney told her how Dantonio, the football coach, had dealt with a sexual assault accusation against one of his players: He had the player talk to his mother about what he had done.

"That did not reassure me at all," Allswede says. "There's no guarantee that that had any effect, any help, whatever."

Allswede says she counseled at least five women who reported being sexually assaulted by male student athletes and was aware, via her colleagues, of possibly 10 others. She said she suspected even more, especially cases in which the person reporting the assault was also a student athlete, because of the practice of the athletic department to keep such issues in house.
      Last edited by whodean; January 26, 2018, 08:58 PM.
      Atlanta, GA

Comment

• An Outside the Lines investigation has found a pattern of widespread denial, inaction and information suppression of sexual assault and violence allegations by officials ranging from campus police to the Spartans' athletic department.

On Aug. 31, 2009, campus police responded to a domestic dispute involving a junior offensive tackle and his girlfriend in which each accused the other of destructive and violent behavior. The woman admitted to police vandalizing some of his belongings, and he admitted to trying to drag her out of her car, during which she said he removed her left shoe and began to bend her foot down "like he was trying to break it." Both declined to pursue charges.

On Dec. 18, 2009, a woman told campus police that her boyfriend, a freshman defensive lineman, shoved her up against the wall of an elevator, pushed her to the ground, kicked her in the torso, and punched her in the collarbone and under her left eye after she smacked him in the face. The football player told police he had been trying to restrain her while she tried to hit him, and he never kicked or struck her. Prosecutors dropped the case after the woman declined to press charges.

On Jan. 17, 2010, a woman told campus police that a freshman wide receiver and another football player had raped her in November 2009, prompting her to start drinking excessively and become suicidal. She said she went to the players' dorm room after a fraternity party, and the players took off her clothes and began kissing her, to which she consented. They asked her to perform oral sex on them, but she refused. She told police that when she decided to leave and bent over to put her pants on, she was raped. The players said the sex was consensual and that they took her home as soon she said she wanted to leave. Court records show no charges were filed.

On Aug. 31, 2013, a woman told campus police that a freshman running back grabbed her with both hands around her arms and slammed her up against a wall after she asked him to say "please" when he told her to take her feet off a chair in his dorm room. The woman had a scrape on her left elbow and on the upper side of her left buttock. The football player told police he had pushed her but never grabbed or threw her up against a wall. The woman told police she only wanted him to apologize, which he did in an officer's presence, and no charges were filed.

On Oct. 29, 2013, a woman told campus police that she became extremely intoxicated at a party the night before, came back to her dorm room and passed out on her bed. The report states, "the next time she woke up, she was having her pants and legs tugged on by" a freshman football player. She said he "inserted his penis into her vagina" and "would stop and sometimes insert his penis into her mouth then return to vaginal intercourse," to which she said she did not consent. The player told police, "at no time did [the woman] tell him to stop." The woman texted him the next morning expressing regret, he told police. The woman told campus police that she did not want to seek criminal prosecution but did want to report the incident to Michigan State judicial services. No criminal charges were filed.

In May 2014, the parents of a deceased Michigan State student filed a report with campus police after they found a notebook from one of their daughter's therapy sessions. The writings detailed a 2007 gang rape that named four football players. Detectives started what would become a months-long investigation involving multiple records, analysis and interviews. In June 2015, campus police sent its report to the Ingham County prosecutor's office, which declined to file charges against any of the players, noting that the woman's writings could not be used as evidence and investigators were unable to independently corroborate her claims.
        Atlanta, GA

Comment

• I think what this is going to come down to for Izzo and Dantonio is whether or not they were in compliance with what has become a very generalized and not well defined portion of Title IX that deals with handling claims of sexual misconduct.

Title IX is not a criminal code. Whatever they might have failed or not failed to do in regard to complying with MSU's protocols on dealing with complaints of sexual misconduct (ill-defined as that might be) should be the end point.

A further issue probably involves whether MSU has implemented appropriate protocols to conform with Title IX provisions involving sexual misconduct.

It's worth noting that a victim of alleged sexual misconduct can pursue both criminal and disciplinary processes in seeking redress. Let's say that an MSU coach is appraised of sexual misconduct involving a player. We don't know what the MSU protocols are, at least I don't and I doubt any of the arm waivers do either. We certainly don't know in the cases being raised if such written protocols were complied with or even if they have been defined by MSU officials responsible for such things....they better be and I doubt very much they are not. That's the disciplinary side. The victim can and should seek counsel from appropriate authority and if so counseled should pursue criminal charges. In Nasser's case, crimes were certainly committed and he has been tried, convicted and sentenced. However, MSU coaches, having been informed of a sexual misconduct allegation against a player have no responsibility to report this to law enforcement. I'm sure, but am unfamiliar with, certain sexual crimes (e.g., child abuse) that there are criminal penalties for failing to report. I'm not 100% sure if anything MSU coaches might be involved in rise to that level. I feel confident they don't.

So all of these accusations and presumptions floating around out there in the broadcast and social media arenas are terribly irresponsible. Of course, there is not much anyone can do about that and we are, right now, in a circumstance that makes it pretty tough for Izzo and Dantonio. I'd be 100% behind both of them if they elected to obtain legal counsel and challenge any attempt to terminate their contracts without due process as actionable.

I think the time would be appropriate to stand up against these sorts or recriminations and put an end to them in the courts. Of course, if either of them violated any written provisions of MSU's Title IX protocols for allegations of sexual misconduct and the parties are afforded due process in any hearing, that's a whole different ball game ...... be reminded, were not even close to that as far as what we can know and is based on what's available to us in the public domain.
          Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; January 26, 2018, 10:48 PM.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Yeah it's important to kind of seperate the Naasar case with that OTL report. It is probably appropriate that both Simon and Hollis stepped down, they were in the chain of command and it appears there were some gigantic screw ups there.

The OTL report is bad, there is some new stuff there along with some reports that we already know. If it comes out that either Izzo or Dantonio were actively suppressing stuff like they were doing at Baylor, then they would need to go. That report didn't seem to indicate that but the story isn't over. They need a true independent investigation of the Nasser case at minimum. Also like Jeff said they need to examine the protocols of how they investigate these cases.

Comment

• Dantonio pissed off like it's halftime and he's losing to a Frank Solich MAC team. First he speed reads through a written statement with no compassion, concern for the sufferings for the victims. Of course he did nothing wrong! Why should he even have to be here talking? Barks out >> "I will take 2 questions" (not 150)

"I am here for Spartan nation."

Good Job your the fucking man Mark! - Is what i think they are calling him RCMB

Izzo take orders from his wife

Comment

• ....... oh, stop. You're as bad as the arm waivers out there I referenced above.

Look, Dantonio is absolutely entitled to be pissed off as hell. He had no obligation to make a statement in the Nassar matter or anything involving his handling of allegations of sexual misconduct under Title IX. I think he did well.

Clearly, he's been rather forced to respond by all the irresponsible mutterings of the peanut gallery. I can pretty much assure you that the peanut gallery has no idea what the rules are regarding the processing of sexual misconduct allegations against athletes. Moreover, we don't know MSU's protocols for those having responsibility within the institution to address the allegations or whether or not Dantonio followed them.

So, step back and take a deep breath. As awful as the revelations regarding Nassar are, as emotionally wrenching the testimony of the female gymnasts against him, the Danonio/Izzo issues are distinctly separate from all that.

Like I implied up thread. It pisses me off that MSU's football and basketball coaches are getting swept up in an imbroglio over sexual misconduct that they may have had no involvement in whatsoever. Everyone's all lathered up about the horror of the Nassar affair. In that circumstance it is awful assuming that they do. It sucks. It is wrong and I'm sick of specific situations like this where males are getting terrorized by angry feminists undeservedly with social media and the press joining right in.
                Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; January 27, 2018, 09:26 AM.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Dantonio is getting “terrorized?” Wow. That’s really laughable. Young women were terrorized. He’s being mildly inconvenienced.

He and Izzo are the two highest paid, highest profile employees at MSU. This reflects on the entire school, including them.

Obviously they had no knowledge of this but they also can’t pretend it’s separate from them either. Now all MSU athletics is getting run over with a fine tooth comb, and it fucking should. This should terrify every other university in the country to put a system in place so this shit never has a remote chance of happening again.

No they obviously should not resign unless there’s another gigantic shoe that drops. But they absolutely should have to sweat this out. The football and basketball coaches at every other univestiy should be sweating along with them. Those are the biggest drivers of change in major college athletics. If they feel the fear the ADs will feel it and we will get better guidelines in place.
                  Last edited by Kstat; January 27, 2018, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kstat View Post
                    Dantonio is getting “terrorized?” Wow. That’s really laughable.
                    What did he do that people are demanding he resign over? What were inappropriate about his actions that deserves wall to wall coverage on ESPN? What other coberation do you have over the incident where he made a player call her parents? Do you know the specifics of that incident? Where is the wrongdoing, based on what we know with facts and evidence?

Without answers to these questions, calls for Dantonio to step down is either because he wears green and white, or because the metoo movement, as important a movement as it is, has started to get out of control with demanding men lose their jobs over no evidence of wrongdoing.

We can not become a society that demands innocent people be punished in the name of social justice. We cant, we are were meant for better. Granted if it becomes fact that he covered up or failed to report instances of sexual assault then i will join you in calling for his job, but based on what we know we are nowhere near that.
                    Last edited by Kapture1; January 27, 2018, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• Kstat .... you need to think carefully about what I'm saying here. First, I fully support efforts to protect all women from all types of predation. In this specific incident, we're talking about female gymnasts being prayed upon my one sick mo-fuck. Nassar committed crimes. Nassar has been tried and convicted in a court of law and jailed for his crimes as well he should.

Those in a position of authority who were advised of this predation and failed to act on it under the provisions of Title IX should be processed under that code. If there are ancillary findings involving other allegations of sexual misconduct that show established Title IX protocols at MSU were not followed by persons required to follow them then they should be processed under Title IX protocols. Know the difference.

Dantonio has committed no crimes as far as we know. Since none of us here know the specific details of MSUs Title IX protocols for reports of sexual misconduct let alone whether or not Dantonio failed to perform in accordance with those protocols people waving their arms about this should sit down and STFU.

What's happening here is that Dantonio is getting caught up in what I called the unjustified terrorization of men by fanatic feminists. This needs to stop. What I never said is that sexual predation of women by men in any setting is fine. It's not and it should stop as well. The way to stop it is to follow established rules to do so, hold predators accountable to them and punish them accordingly. Lacking that make some fucking rules and follow them..

Comment

• No one in a position to force him to resign is asking him to resign. Stop.

His program is being investigated like all of MSU programs should be. If he’s got nothing to hide this will blow over. Until then he has to deal with his hurt feelings. If he doesn’t get why this is happening I have no sympathy for him.

Comment

• Oh, I think he gets perfectly well what's happening, it's unfair at this point and I have no problems with how he is reacting.

If he's hiding something, if he didn't perform under MSU's established Title IX protocols regarding allegations of sexual misconduct then fine, go after him.

Comment

• You know who else didn’t know? Mark Hollis. I’m sick and tired of that excuse. He had no system in place to where he would be know, unless things all went perfectly. Classic deniability.

It isn’t Dantonio’s job to oversee the gymnastics team but it is his job to ensure his football program is on the up and up. And maybe it really is, but we’re going to have to wait and see.

The people “waving their arms” can do what they please. I’m not one of them but I understand their frustration. They aren’t the ones that ultimately have any power over who stays and goes at MSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kstat View Post
                              No one in a position to force him to resign is asking him to resign. Stop.

His program is being investigated like all of MSU programs should be. If he’s got nothing to hide this will blow over. Until then he has to deal with his hurt feelings. If he doesn’t get why this is happening I have no sympathy for him.
                              Im perfectly fine with an investigation, i support that 100%. But he is being prosecuted in the media and convicted in public opinion over incomplete information and frankly pretty irresponsible "reporting". Have you not been on Twitter? Because you can't miss the mob with their pitch forks and torches.
                              Last edited by Kapture1; January 27, 2018, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• The media and public opinion don’t get a say in who coaches the football team at MSU. And it pretty laughable that you think people should police their own opinions to begin with.

I have been on Twitter. All of social media has been holding pitchforks and torches about something since social media was invented. There are 300 million twitter accounts. Someone will always be crusading against something. Nobody cares unless you make the mistake of confronting it.

Again, if he’s got nothing to hide this will blow over no matter what “public opinion” says. If MSU has any PR people with functional brain cells, Izzo and Dantonio would welcome it head-on and not act like they’re the victims in this. Their own resentful attitude is just fanning the flames.

Everyone with any authority at that university has poured gasoline on this at every opportunity. It’s like they’re actively searching for things to say that will dig an even deeper hole.

FWIW I’m not “rooting” for anything in this other than reforms that will prevent this from happening again. It’s ugly and unfair to everyone and it should be. Every other university should be terrified of this happening to them and be proactive for once.
                                Last edited by Kstat; January 27, 2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X