Michigan Football, Team 139, 2018 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
    In other news ........ Ed Warriner has been officially announced as OL Coach.

He vaccated an analyst spot that was filled by the hiring of Ron Prince.

I'm not going to regurgitate what most sites are saying about him. Generally a bad hire; ok if he has nothing to do with coaching the OL or having anything to do with the players. His role is expected to involve anylizing the OL play of teams M will face going forward.

A bit of a head scratching hire.
    ?? Warriner, you mean? Widely credited with being an excellent OL coach who didn't pan out at the coordinator level.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
      ?? Warriner, you mean? Widely credited with being an excellent OL coach who didn't pan out at the coordinator level.
      He is talking about Price who was the only offensive coach the Lions let go the same day that Caldwell was let go of.
      2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Yeah, Prince .......

He has a shitty resume and every place he left or got fired from there was talk that he treated those he coached and coached with poorly. Generally, a well known ass-hole.

Like I said, strange hire given his reputation.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Ah, ok.

Comment

• Maybe he'll be an OK analyst who knows?

Comment

• This should surprise no one ...... the NCAA was in receipt of Patterson's petition to allow him to play (waiver request) in 2018 on 2/26/18. The next step in the process is for the NCAA to send a copy of the waiver request to Ol' Miss who then has 10 days to respond. The NCAA has yet to send this to Ol' Miss. Shocking.

Patterson is reportedly working out with the team and he can participate in the upcoming spring practice so, other than the NCAA being the NCAA, this probably has little immediate impact.

CBS Sports reported Tuesday that Ole Miss has not responded yet to a waiver request for six players seeking full eligibility in 2018, including Patterson.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• In other encouraging news about M football under Harbaugh .......

The story recounts the night of Michigan's Director of Football Operations, Fergus Connolly's, arrest on a charge of DUI. Quite a story.

Comment

• Toys Are Us goes belly-up, ending in liquidation. Toys Are Us's CEO? Dave Brandon

Comment

• Brian Cook is not a Dave Brandon fan, but he was talking on his blog as if the bankruptcy were inevitable no matter who was in charge.

But Toys R us did gamble hugely on Star Wars and the dice came up snakeyes there. The movies grossed lots of money but the toys have rotted on store shelves. That had to have been a factor too.
                    Last edited by Hannibal; March 15, 2018, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMStan White View Post
                      Toys Are Us goes belly-up, ending in liquidation. Toys Are Us's CEO? Dave Brandon
                      The shutdown could eliminate*more than 30,000 jobs.
                      Ouch!
                      "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Babys R Us gone too. Brandon earned $11.5 million from Toys R Us, including a $2.5 mil "retention bonus" just before Toys R Us filed for bankruptcy protection.
                        Last edited by UMStan White; March 15, 2018, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• If you are in charge of the hiring and firing there I don't understand why you wouldn't just pay an average Joe off the street minimum wage and then just pocket the rest of that money for yourself. Or just hire me for 20% of the cost. Paying Dave Brandon do manage anything bigger than his grocery list is pouring money down a rabbit hole.
                          Last edited by Hannibal; March 15, 2018, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• Spring game date and time announced this morning: April 14th at 7p.

Comment

• JH Presser after first day of Spring Practice. It was a decent interview with some great insight on the OL ...... you can read it at the link.

The interior is set with Ruiz at C, Bredeson and Onwenu at G. Stephen Spanellis, Steuber, Honigford, and others competing for interior positions, I guess the two deep. Competition at OT is open and involves JBB, Jon Runyan, Chuck Filiaga, James Hudson. No mention of Ulizio at all (don't read too much into that).

During the off season and after Drevno's departure, there was some consistent talk about a lack of cooperation on the offensive staff; bad chemistry there. I think this comment supports that there were significant problems on the offensive side of the ball involving coaches and in particular Drevno and Frey:

What kind of impact has Ed Warinner made in his work with the offensive line so far?

“Really good. We’ve had tremendous collaboration on the offensive side with the staff. it’s been a huge focus for our team and been doing it for weeks and months now, and really like the way it’s come together. The contribution we get, we’re getting contribution from so many great coaches on the offensive side that work great together. Really been good that way.”

Also noteworthy was JH's enthusiams for Jim McElwain as a WR coach. "Peeling some paint out there"

No mention of Pep Hamilton - not sure of his role and JH made it clear that play calling was still going to be a collaborative effort as in the past but he hasn't quite decided how he is going to do that.

Wheatly broke his foot yesterday. He'll be out for spring but back for fall. Black is 100%

Talked about Shea Patterson and Joe Milton. Patterson in answer to a direct question about him; Milton was brought up as impressively prepared.

[Eric Upchurch] What are your impressions after day one? “Uh, good. Good day. The team is…it’s a rejuvenated team. And I like the way they’ve really trained over the last two-and-a-half months and getting back on the field was great today.” Rejuvenated in what way? “Just attitude, confidence, there was a bounce in their step, and it’s been good. It’s been good over the last weeks, months, and great to get back started on the field.” I know it’s only been one day, but what did you think of Shea [Patterson]? “Um, did good. Did a good job. As did a lot of guys, you know. And for a first day, I mean, it was…guys had studied. Guys, you know, it wasn’t the first time they’d thought about the plays or the defensive calls or the punt protections. Guys came out and had a high level of understanding and there was good execution [for a] first day.” Do you have an update on Shea’s timeline with regard to eligibility or when you might hear something from the NCAA? “No.” Are you hopeful or what do you think? “I don’t have an update.” When you go through, because you don’t have an update and you don’t know, do you go through just a normal progression with him and say ‘You’re going to get these reps’ and then the other guys the same way? Do you just go with it thinking that okay, yeah, we will have him? “Uh, the reps are being evenly distributed amongst the quarterbacks.” Is Grant Newsome able to practice yet? “No.” He can do anything with the team right now? “He’s working out, he’s conditioning, but he’s not at the point to come back and practice with the team.” I think you said Grant Perry’s also limited on the radio. Is there anybody else besides those two that’s not going to be full go by spring ball? “Yeah. Luiji [Vilain], Jameson Offerdahl, there’s a few. And then Ty Wheatley, looks like he fractured the metacarpal [Ed. A- metatarsal] in his foot today, so he’ll be out for all of spring ball but back for the season.” [After THE JUMP: out-of-the-gate leaders, some O-line clarity, and RPOh no]

Comment

• Re changes to the offense for 2018 ......

Guys posting here that have played QB at any level and those that have studied the game probably know this but it might be worth laying out a QB's role in different styles of offense.

Harbaugh's history on offense is that of a pro-style passer. Everyone knows this but not everyone knows what that entails.

One of the big differences between a pro-style passer and dual threat guys is that in a spready offense (I use that term loosely), the dual threat guy has to do one thing: find and throw to the open guy. He doesn't read the defense, he doesn't check down his receivers, he has one passing option and if it's not open he runs it. That describes Rich Rodriguez's offense and Denard Robinson in a nutshell although perhaps over-simplified. I just want to make a point.

You know the rest when it comes to a pro-style QB ...... in Harbaugffense. It's a lot more complex with multiple, live pass patterns, reads, check downs and so forth. If you want to read how good Tom Brady is at this kind of thing in Belichick's offense just google around and you'll find it.

There is video out there that shows how Tom is reading receivers (4 or more of them per play) as the play develops, how fast he does it and decides where to go with the ball and how his receivers know exactly where to be based on how defenders play them. I think this is what JH expected of Peters and in his first year at QB, he demonstrated he was not anywhere close to being up to the task (for a lot of reasons that were not all his fault). Plays got simplified for him (route reads reduced), the O became predictable, 8-5 was the result.

There's enough evidence out there that JH is not going to make a lot of changes to his offensive philosophy in 2018 though despite the struggles in 2017. There's all kind of talk out there about M incorporating more RPO and spread - Read option plays into their 2018 offense with Patterson. Harbaugh scoffs at this when he's asked about it and gets a chance and there is a reason for that. He already has those plays in his playbook ..... they look different in the heavy sets with TEs and FBs that typify Harbaughffense.

The article I linked below is a good place to start if you want to get a feel where I think Harbaugh's offense is headed in 2018. The link is to a series of articles talking about evolving CFB offenses that take advantage of a FB. M's O in my view is going to evolve somewhat as is described in the articles at this link. It's not radically different but it is different and is taking advantage of one direction that modern CFB offenses are taking (there are others, e.g., spread to power run exemplified by urban meyer at osu).

The key to getting some idea of where M's O is headed is by looking at the types of players that M has been recruiting and/or developing HS players who played in one position but have been evaluated by M's staff to have the potential to play in another. FBs and TEs are great examples. Here's a quick take on the article linked to below:
                                • Harbaugh likes big, pro-style QBs but, if the recruitment of Patterson and Milton are indicators, he wants QBs with wheels ..... not necessarily dual threat guys, but guys who have developed running skills in HS, can play under center in heavy sets, while still being either pistol or drop back guys who can read defenses. I actually think Peters and McCaffrey fit that kind of QB but we've already seen limitations in Peters and McCaffrey isn't big enough yet to play in Harbaughffense as JH envisions it.

• Focus on TEs and FBs..... you'll have to read the linked articles to see where I'm going with this and why I think M's offense is headed in a direction that features these players. The handsy TE that can catch a pass, is quick on his feet and is willing to take on a big DE or S in a blocking roll is a Harbaugh staple. His emphasis on recruiting and developing these kinds of TEs is obvious.

• The big-play long ball is still in play. Harbaughffense is not going to go an exclusive dink and dunk direction like some have postulated is the reason Patterson was recruited. First. M has continued to recruit big and especially fast HS players at the WR position. This isn't anything unique to M's approach, most teams covet these kinds of players. However, guys like DPJ and Tariq Black among others are examples. The combo of WRs that are willing to block downfield on run plays and are good at it while being fast enough to break open deep with a QB that can make the read and throw the ball deep is key in Harbaughffense's passing game.

• I think where we'll see the RPO is in run plays that are constraints to throws to the wides, slots and TEs. I'll be so bold as to predict we'll see at least a 50/50 pass/run play split if not 60/40. That would reflect a shift to more of a pro-style, NFL-like offense and will be the biggest change in M's 2018 offense ...... at least I hope so because Harbauffense to date has not dealt at all well with defenses that play C1 with 10 other guys reading run/pass into M play-calls that are predictive by formation and almost always runs.

You can read the whole series of articles that I've been reading to develop my views in this post here:

Comment

Working...
                                X