No announcement yet.

Detroit Red Wings & the NHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordie retired in 1971 from the Wings so I never saw him live. I've often read that many consider him one of the strongest guys to ever play sport.

Pure beast, big Saskatchewan farmboy well before 24/7, 365 modern training and advanced nutrition.
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; October 29, 2014, 02:31 PM.
    ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Gretzky with his boyhood idol, the 2 best ever.

Yep, no dispute there. The 2 best EVER.
      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Howe is one of a kind and a Detroit treasure.

Bobby Orr was the best ever, though. I'll show myself out.
        Last edited by Mike; October 29, 2014, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• Gordie Howe watches Red Wings' tribute
          Just days after Gordie Howe suffered a serious stroke, his family released a video of the hockey legend taking in a pre-game tribute in his honour. Watch his reaction here.

?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Bobby Orr was the best ever, though. I'll show myself out.
            Agreed. Best player on the ice at both ends. Gretzky couldn't spell defense. Mario was just as good as Wayne in a bigger package. Hate to see the news about Gordie Howe. He must be the most unassuming superstar ever.
            I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Canada plays Team USA as I write in World Jr. Tournament in Montreal/Toronto. Best hockey in the world outside the NHL.

New Year's Tradition!

Comment

• Canada downed Team USA 5-3 on NYE in Montreal to finish 1st in Group A, a perfect 4-0 in tournament play. USA finished 2-1-1.

Medal-round Quarts start today. Team USA unfortunately meets Russia a@ 1pm ET & Canada drew mighty Denmark! @8pmET

Very exciting game:

http://www.tsn.ca/video/wjc-canada-vs-usa-1.172285

Comment

• Canada beat Russia 5-4 in the World Jr Hockey Championship last night in Toronto. Canada went undefeated the entire tournament and never trailed on the scoreboard.

Connor McDavid kicked-ass as a 17-year old , finished the Tournament tied for scoring with 11 pts. Will go #1 overall in the NHL draft in June this year.

Splits the Russian D for a beauty goal in final to win Gold.
                  Last edited by Optimus Prime; January 6, 2015, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• They seem to be on their way.

All the doomsayers of the Red Wings demise when they entered the east seem to be wrong.
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Did people predict their doom going to the East? The West is better, I can't stand watching East teams.

Comment

• Seems like I read that the Wings would have more competition playing in the East than they did in the west.

I agree that the tougher teams seem to be in the West.
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• The young guys are as good as advertised. I don't think that there's another Hank or Pavs in there, but Tatar, Nyquist, and Dekeyser are really good.

Comment

• Yep. Pleasantly surprised with the season so far. If it weren't for those damn shootouts they'd have the most points in the NHL. Only two teams, Nashville and Anaheim, have fewer regulation losses (10) than Detroit (11).

They really need to move to a 3-2-1 point system like the Big Ten does to provide some separation between the wheat and the chaff. Distributing extra points through the skills competition ensures a logjam in the standings, which is probably what the NHL wants.

Comment

• The salary cap is a big part of that too. There's so much parity because nobody can hang onto all of their stars once they turn 25. Look at Boston -- dominated the East last year, ranked #8 in the conference this year. If the season ended today, Nashville would be awarded the President's Trophy LOL

Comment

• I came across this page on facebook about Gordie Howe this morning. Knowing there are a few Wing diehards here, I thought I would post this for you. He was honoured in Saskatoon last night by Wayne Gretzky, Bobby and Brett Hull as well as his sons Mark and Marty. There is some pretty good footage of him for a guy who was very ill not to long ago. Make sure to click on all the videos.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/gordie-howe-honoured-by-wayne-gretzky-other-nhl-legends-1.2947561

Comment

Working...
                                X