DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old December 5th, 2016, 03:06 PM   #21
Rocky Bleier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Ideally, I'd love to see McCaffrey. I want a runner who can keep defenses more honest and erase mistakes by the OL.
He's pretty thin right now. Needs to get bigger/stronger. Redshirt him next season, which will be Speight's junior year.
Old December 5th, 2016, 03:13 PM   #22
Jeff Buchanan

The three most frustrating aspects of your analysis of the team 138, Hanni, that I can't disagree with are:

(1) The OL. This is where JH is getting f'ed by Hoke's horrendous OL recruiting. Harbaugh wants road graders with the ability to pull. He doesn't have them and it hurts the kind of offense he wants to run.

(2) RB. A problem for a decade. No blue chippers (and we can't keep blaming Fred Jackson for this) and not great development out of what has shown up. Najee Harris may be and probably IS the most important recruiting target that JH has. Add to that a couple of highly regarded and likely to succeed OL recruits to make holes for him makes guys like Ruiz (good chance) and Leatherwood (not likely) also key targets.

(3) QB. I don't think Speight is ever going to be Andrew Luck and we'll leave it at that. Can he be good? Yes. Can he be a difference maker? Only in his apparent penchant to do bad things.

Something we really don't know about is how good the new set of DBs are going to be. No question, loosing all four of the starting line-up is a huge hit but this area was heavily recruited in 16 and there's some talent there that has had some exposure with playing time (Kinnel, Long, Hill, Hudson). It would be huge if Clark were to get a 6th year. Also, M probably has it's best DB coaching staff ever in Brown, Smith and Zordich and if Smith and/or Zordich aren't poached we might be surprised how stout the pass D is.

The DL and LBs are going to be fine.

I don't see five losses and can't agree at all with Mr. Doom and Gloom. I do see 3 possibles with leans to a loss (FL, Wisconsin and PSU) unless M's fortunes with road games in 2017 is an outlier. I'd be willing to coin flip any of those games along with osu (lean to a loss) so, I'll go with 8-4 (no way M will lose all the coin flips/leans) as the floor and 11-1 as the ceiling.
Old December 5th, 2016, 03:18 PM   #23
Rocky Bleier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack View Post
Speight is a good QB who is gonna get better. If he can keep himself out of those funks he falls into in which his accuracy goes to shit, we're going to be very happy with him. I'm really surprised if he's not a three-year starter.

Though I share Hannibal's desire to have someone who is a running threat.
I don't like the way he guides his passes. His arm strength is okay, not great. At Iowa and OSU he choked under pressure and threw way behind receivers on slant routes. He's not a threat to run. Alabama DBs would feast on his soft throws. Harbaugh, Henne, Grbac, Brady, Henson, Wangler, and Griese were all better than him. I'd put him in with Todd Collins.
Old December 5th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #24
Hannibal

Collins was better too.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 5th, 2016, 03:23 PM   #25
Hannibal

I like Speight okay but he's not a guy who's going to win a championship for us. He'll likely be the best QB on the roster next year but I'm looking past 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
(1) The OL. This is where JH is getting f'ed by Hoke's horrendous OL recruiting. Harbaugh wants road graders with the ability to pull. He doesn't have them and it hurts the kind of offense he wants to run.
Meh. We've still got some guys left on the roster that were very highly thought of coming out of high school and I don't think that Drevno got a lot out of them.

The 2014 and 2015 classes weren't very good on paper and by this time next year we won't have Brian Cole, Michael Ferns, Freddy Canteen, or Peppers. Some of the other guys that we were excited about like Drake Harris and Lawrence Marshall look unlikely to pan out. The stud QB recuit has already switched positions and there don't appear to be any surprise overachievers in those groups.

Last edited by Hannibal; December 5th, 2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old December 5th, 2016, 03:27 PM   #26
hack

Not a threat to run but excellent at avoiding the rush. The choking is an odd thing. He has also been quite cool under pressure in big moments. But not consistently. None of this stuff is a hard ceiling though. It's not like he has lead feet, a weak arm, happy feet, or cannot see the field. He's simply got to put it together with consistency. I think that's on the table for him. He's no Andrew Luck, and he may not have that 5th-year Griese mojo, but he looks like he could be a Grbac/Collins level player. If one of Peters or McCaffrey are suddenly amazing, then great. But he's got a pretty significant head start on both.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 5th, 2016, 03:59 PM   #27
Hannibal

Grbac is an interesting comparison. If he can work his accuracy level up to Grbac's, then that would be a terrific result. Grbac had mediocre arm strength too and he was awful in the face of pressure, but he practically never missed a no-brainer.
Old December 5th, 2016, 07:56 PM   #28
Whitley

If Michigan can upgrade the OL then the rest of the offense should upgrade as well.
Old December 12th, 2016, 05:58 PM   #29
UMStan White

Rumors starting that with the firing of Jeff Fisher Harbaugh the target of the Rams.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ji...l-possibility/
UMStan White is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 12th, 2016, 06:04 PM   #30
Cody_Russell

Damn fake news.
Old December 13th, 2016, 08:37 AM   #31
Hannibal

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMStan White View Post
Rumors starting that with the firing of Jeff Fisher Harbaugh the target of the Rams.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ji...l-possibility/

Old December 13th, 2016, 02:42 PM   #32
Dr. Strangelove

You may be thinking, "the Rams aren't dumb enough to even try". But wait, these are the same Rams that gave Fisher an extension, then fired him a week later...
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 13th, 2016, 06:06 PM   #33
WingsFan

This is going to happen every year at this time for a while. Ryan Glasgow - Harbaugh said the rumors are "Lies made up by our enemies"
WingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 13th, 2016, 06:09 PM   #34
entropy

I'm blaming the DNC.
Old December 13th, 2016, 06:13 PM   #35
AlabamAlum

Yeah, you get used to the rumors.
Old December 13th, 2016, 06:14 PM   #36
WingsFan

Let’s consider the source of this rumor, MMQB’s Albert Breer. Breer, who just so happens to be an Ohio State grad, made a comment to Colin Cowherd that got this entire fairy tale started. Cowherd said that Breer told him while he was leaving the interview that the rumor of Harbaugh to the Rams is a “very real thing.”

Breer has since back peddled on that statement via his Twitter account.
WingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 14th, 2016, 08:07 AM   #37
FanFromCali

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsFan View Post
This is going to happen every year at this time for a while. Ryan Glasgow - Harbaugh said the rumors are "Lies made up by our enemies"
I'm not a Michigan fan, but I objectively believe Harbaugh to be a good (possibly great) coach. That said, wow is he an odd duck. Some people write it off as "being slightly eccentric" but comments like "lies made up by our enemies" is urine being collected in bottles for further study kind of stuff...lol.

On a side note, I do believe Michigan probably has a coach for life in Harbaugh. Yes, like any coach with a hot name his representatives are always going to listen to 15 million dollar a year offers, but I think his temperament is better suited for college and I believe him when he said Michigan was his dream job.

AAL: A'Shawn Robinson
FanFromCali is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 14th, 2016, 08:12 AM   #38
Hannibal

It'll probably subside after a few more years. Once people realize what utter crap it is.
Old December 14th, 2016, 08:13 AM   #39
iam416

Jive turkeys!
Old December 14th, 2016, 09:34 AM   #40
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
It'll probably subside after a few more years. Once people realize what utter crap it is.
I dunno. Every major job that opens, Jon Gruden is rumored to be the top choice. And he hasn't coached a game in 9 years?
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote Top