DetroitLionsForum.com
Want to assist with forum hosting and upgrade costs?  Click here to make a PayPal donation:
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Closed Thread

Old May 22nd, 2017, 07:53 AM   #4941
Panoptes

Its not just a yawn, it's clearing the cobwebs.....

Calvin Johnson: I hid concussions as a player

5/22/2017 6:30:20 AM

Former Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson said that playing with concussions is a regular practice in the NFL, Doug Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports.

“Guys get concussions, they don’t tell the coaches,” Johnson said after his “Catching Dreams” football camp Saturday at Southfield High. “It happens. I don’t tell the coach sometimes cause I know I got a job to do. The team needs me out there on the field. And sometimes you allow that to jeopardize yourself, but that’s just the nature of the world.”

Johnson, who retired last spring after nine NFL seasons, never was officially diagnosed with a concussion in his career but told ESPN’s "E:60" last year he suffered his “fair share” of brain injuries while playing.

Asked Saturday whether he ever concealed one from team doctors, Johnson said, “Of course.”

“They’re going to dispute that, but anytime you black out, anytime you hit the ground and everything is stars and stuff, any time your brain hits your skull, that’s a concussion,” Johnson said. “No matter how severe it is, it’s a concussion. Now granted, some people get nausea. That’s a severe concussion when you get hit like that and you get nausea and stuff like that. But if you play football long enough (you’re going to have concussions).”

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg
Old May 22nd, 2017, 09:17 AM   #4942
Futureshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko69 View Post
None of that can be true. Quote; "The way I should've been treated..." ? He was offered 24 million Fucking dollars for one year. He was treated with masses of respect.

And if he said the sentence in bold, then he can get the fuck out of Detroit. Personally I'd rather the Lions sucked until WW3 than have people saying sentences like that. "I'm not tripping?" Fk off. "Hey, it is what it is." Double fk off.

Not believing any of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanFromCali View Post
Man, I don't know. I want to agree with you because I really like C.J. (and as I said before, this isn't going to change that), but I'm not seeing your interpretation at all.

Although I was not there and can't say how exactly the interview went down, it sounds like Calvin was asked about whether or not having his number retired was important to him and then it was him that brought up all this other stuff. I'm not sure how that's the reporter manufacturing anything.

Also, despite what you think of ownership C.J. attacked them and you classify it as "being real" while classifying whatever they said to him as being "assholes" whom, by extension, are in the wrong. Is that really fair? I mean, if ownership had said something about him screwing them and breaking his contract by expecting to be paid money he hasn't earned I'm pretty sure people would be throwing ownership under the bus, and rightfully so.
Quote:
“I don’t even like to talk Lions too much just because the way our relationship ended,...”
When you're done, you're done. The reporter asked him a question. He answered it. The reporter is making more of this then he is. Should he have lied? The vast majority of really good franchise players never have to pay back some bonuses. It is looked at as the organization's severance to a player who did so much for the organization. For years he was the only reason to watch. Unless, you were a fan of an opposing team. So to ask him to pay back the money is a more symbolic gesture then the $.

<yawn> at anyone making a big deal about this. Most that are offended by what he said sound more petty then anything he said.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 09:37 AM   #4943
Futureshock

I hope Quinn was onto something with this kid
Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:03 AM   #4944
chemiclord

The problem is that a lot of people seem to be assuming that CJ's annoyance is about paying back money. I don't even think it's been confirmed that the Lions have even asked for any signing bonus money back, or how much.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:19 AM   #4945
Futureshock

Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:38 AM   #4946
froot loops

Johnson paid back 300k as part of his signing bonus. Generally in most of these cases, expect the Lions for eff up. Most of the time it is less about the money than the principle of it, 300k is not worth the aggravation on either side. In listening to Birkett this morning, he thought CJ clearly seemed to be agitated about it but wouldn't go into details. The way he told it, Birkett didn't even think that there might be bad blood and his question was just kind of a throwaway last question. He also said Johnson's finger is still in a splint.
froot loops is offline   Top
Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:49 AM   #4947
Frank Van Dusen
2018 Forum Upgrade Donor

Other franchises don't ask for signing bonuses back when a star player retires. The Cowboys didn't with Romo and the Seahawks didn't with Lynch. The Fords are petty spiteful people though. Their best tradition is alienating star players.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 11:38 AM   #4948
jaadam4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Van Dusen View Post
Other franchises don't ask for signing bonuses back when a star player retires. The Cowboys didn't with Romo and the Seahawks didn't with Lynch. The Fords are petty spiteful people though. Their best tradition is alienating star players.
I can see it go both ways. My view is about precedence. If CJ doesnt have to pay a contractual obligation back what happens when they make another player do so? Could said player take them to court?

He signed a contract. Fullfil it or pay it back.

Of course it might not even been about the money. It could have been how they went about asking for it. I wish they would approach him about this
Old May 22nd, 2017, 12:33 PM   #4949
CGVT
2018 Forum Upgrade Donor

Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:02 PM   #4950
jaadam4

chive on
Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:25 PM   #4951
Frank Van Dusen
2018 Forum Upgrade Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaadam4 View Post
I can see it go both ways. My view is about precedence. If CJ doesnt have to pay a contractual obligation back what happens when they make another player do so? Could said player take them to court?

He signed a contract. Fullfil it or pay it back.

Of course it might not even been about the money. It could have been how they went about asking for it. I wish they would approach him about this
Because, you know, NFL teams always honor the contracts they issue and never cut a player before his contract expires.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:30 PM   #4952
Panoptes

Depending on how much the team can recover in unearned bonus money, their salary cap gains in equal amount.

Is the Barry Sanders rule.

CJ only paid back 10% of the $3.2M he stole, by contract.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:47 PM   #4953
jaadam4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Van Dusen View Post
Because, you know, NFL teams always honor the contracts they issue and never cut a player before his contract expires.
All NFL teams honor contracts that they sign for guaranteed money. Its a guarantee that if you don't honor your contract you have to pay it back.

Although I'm not a big fan of NFL teams doling out huge contracts then cutting players like you mentioned but that's the game GMs and agents play. I think its dirty but thats just my opinion.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:48 PM   #4954
jaadam4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoptes View Post

CJ only paid back 10% of the $3.2M he stole, by contract.
lol
Old May 22nd, 2017, 09:26 PM   #4955
Chuck Cunningham

He signed a contract....why is it wrong to honor the terms of the contract.....the signing bonus is based on completing the contract....if possible.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:09 PM   #4956
The Oracle

Because teams who know how to treat their stars let players get away with it all the time. Another example of sol.
The Oracle is offline   Top
Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:15 AM   #4957
Lionsfan123

CJ threw us under the bus. As much as the Lions fuck up on alot things, I can't really hold them accountable here. If he really felt that way, he should had just played out the remaining of his contract or never signed that huge contract with Mayhew to begin with. Nothing but sour grapes.

Last edited by Lionsfan123; May 23rd, 2017 at 12:27 AM.
Lionsfan123 is offline   Top
Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:29 AM   #4958
LionsFanInJapan

Seems a bit harsh there, LF123.

Like someone else said, he probably didn't like the way Bob Quinn treated him like a business decision. Remember, there was talk that if he did come back that the Lions might ask him to take a pay cut since his production had declined.

For the record, I would have loved Calvin to come back for another year, but if Bob Quinn turns the Lions into a winning franchise through decisions like that then I can't fault him.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:32 AM   #4959
Panoptes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT View Post
https://image.spreadshirtmedia.com/image-server/v1/compositions/1001648336/views/1,width=800,height=800,appearanceId=4,backgroundCo lor=E8E8E8,version=1485256808/zero-fucks-given-t-shirts-men-s-t-shirt.jpg

Last edited by Panoptes; May 23rd, 2017 at 12:34 AM.
Panoptes is offline   Top
Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:42 AM   #4960
dpatnod
2018 Forum Upgrade Donor

I think more than the money, it was the refusal to accept his decision to retire that irked him. They sort of wouldn't take him at his word, and stretched it out into a wait and see game. THink it over, talk to us again in the fall, we will wait for your decision.....

He was like... Fuck man, I just gave you my decision. You could see it after his last game as he talked to #9. He was done. Leaving while he could still maybe live out a decent life. They just wouldn't take him at his word as an adult.

Then we had months of the press wondering......

I never had a doubt he was done. It was a settled issue - except with the Lions organization and the press. The speculation was stupid. He was honest and there was no need for the months of 'but, maybe if....'