X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That cartoon is pretty funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
      Let's start with some basics: So any should be able to vote..... ? Anyone...
      Definitely! But it needs to be scaled.

Kids and illegals only count for half a vote though, and every rung up the tax bracket you get an additional vote. . Additionally, dog owners get a +1, but folks who own a cat don't jack shit.

JMO

Comment

• I think Auburn and LSU fans should be denied a vote, citizenship....and oxygen.
        Last edited by AlabamAlum; August 3, 2016, 12:16 PM.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• well.. there is a lot of debate about things people are not saying so I thought I'd start with what everyone really thinks. I suspect opinions are not that far off.
          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Ever hear of Souls to the Polls? Black churches all over the country bus people to the polls after Sunday worship for early voting. I'm sure some or most have their own transportation but I'm also certain there are some elderly folks who don't. The laws that were recently struck down by the courts would have essentially ended that tradition. Hence the disparate impact argument. It was Republican legislation meant to disenfranchise a particular demographic plain and simple.
            I'd like to read about those laws.

I agree with you, Mike. I favor doing everything possible to get eligible voters to the polls. Personally, I'd like a 4 day election holiday, Fri-Mon, with all able-bodied citizens voting at the polls. I favor free photo IDs at a minimum. It shouldn't cost anything to vote. I just don't see convenience as a crucial part of the voting process.

No one responded to me when I said that requiring a photo ID took some pressure off the poll workers, but put yourself in their place. If they honestly suspect fraud, how do they challenge a person standing in front of them?

Which brings up another important issue. I believe that respect for the rule of law is a comparative advantage that the US has over all but a few countries in the world. Notice how our discussion of these matters has gone. Someone posted a link to the WaPo for a study of duplicate registrations in 22 states. The claim was that only 14 such registrations were found. In fact, over 5,000,000 such registrations were found out of a universe of 84,000,000. The explanation became "well, only 14 were prosecuted.". That's the rub. Director Comey found that Hillary had committed all the requisite acts to be prosecuted under the Espionage Act, but he declined to prosecute because no one had ever been prosecuted for actions exactly like her's. To the public, this was an acquittal. I'm sure there are many other laws that are not enforced (speeding comes to mind).

Why have laws if we are not going to enforce them? Why? l live in a town that is about 50% Hispanic, almost all Mexican. There are a substantial number of illegals. In the old days, before 2000 or so, illegals wanted no part of trying to vote because it was a felony. Now they know (1) voting matters and is easy, (2) there is no consequence for voting illegally and (3) "educated" opinion is actually telling them they have a right to vote.

At what point does a losing side simply decide not to recognize the outcome of an election? What happens then? Trump is already setting the table for such a claim, and he is narcissist enough to do it. I think it is better public policy to not have the law at all than to not enforce it.

Comment

• Jon said:
              What's so wrong with walking up to your polling station and telling them your name and address in order to vote? I've done that all my adult life until the right wing neo-nazi brain-deads discovered it was a good tactic to impede those who traditionally vote for their political opponents.
              In which state, Jon?

And why exactly is it racist for states to require photo ID? Are blacks really too stupid to register to vote? Or is it that they are too lazy?

Comment

• Both.
                "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Ent:

All citizens, 18 years old or older, who have gone through a simple and cost-free registration to prove those two factual matters.

Comment

• Half the country can't even find a way to verify the president was born here...

Comment

• Trump has just has gone off the rails, to many things to list really.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tukYQshSue8&index=1&list=FLKl4itst_Uoc5Ri9 nkaUy2w"]Donald Trump's Remarks Are Well Prepared - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Talent,

Circling back to the background check discussion. That is only for handguns, at least in the state of Michigan. The NICS was put in place to enforce the Brady Bill (background checks for handguns). The definition you quoted from the US code defines firearms subject to the national background check system of which long guns are not.
                        Last edited by Mike; August 3, 2016, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• Is a NICS background check required for the transfer of long guns as well as handguns?

Yes. Licensed manufacturers, importers, and dealers must conduct a background check for the transfer of all firearms subject to the GCA.

[18 U.S.C. 922(t); 27 CFR 478.102]
                          Yes. Licensed manufacturers, importers, and dealers must conduct a background check for the transfer of all firearms subject to the Gun Control Act. [18 U.S.C. 922(t); 27 CFR 478.102]

Michigan has it's own additional state laws. But the federal law is required for any federally-licensed gun seller, i.e., any gun store.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• What's the GCA? I've never met a person in my life who had a background check for a rifle or shotgun.

Comment

• Gun Control ACT.

I'm swamped with work at present, will clear all this up soon.

OP aka GunGuy
                              "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• The GCA is the Gun Control Act. It works in tandem with the Brady Act to monitor sales of firearms by licensed dealers.

I have no idea whether the ATF is correct or not, but from reading of the relevant statutory provisions, it seems like they are. Plus, it seems like they'd get the answers to FAQs on their own website correct. However, I never underestimate government incompetency.
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X