No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMHO the big banks+big business vs. the little guy view that has been pushed by Nigel Farage, et al is silly too. If you ask me, it really is about the long term intangible benefits of decentralized government. The right to control your own borders is just the example for today. 40 years from now might be something entirely different.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
      ...... If you ask me, it (Brexit) really is about the long term intangible benefits of decentralized government. The right to control your own borders is just the example for today. 40 years from now might be something entirely different.
      Anything I'm reading with substance agrees with that view. If you broke this vote down by income and education, I have a suspicion you'd see a strong correlation with upper incomes/education and this view. Of course, it just happens to resonate with me so, there is that.

I do think there was a strong populist distaste for immigration that was present in a portion of the Labor party vote that favored Brexit along with a bit of let's poke those fat cats in the eye.
      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• But your crusade for sovereignty over prosperity, sir, makes you sound like William Wallace. Wear that tartan with pride
        That's below the belt even coming from the likes of a Bucknell alum.

I do think there was a strong populist distaste for immigration that was present in a portion of the Labor party vote that favored Brexit along with a bit of let's poke those fat cats in the eye.
        Yeah, no doubt, but I don't view it as "xenophobic" or "racist" or whatever some are using to dismiss all pro-Brexit views. When the EU became full on EU the UK absorbed something on the order of 400,000 immigrants from newly-"free" Eastern European countries -- that was roughly 20fold more than anticipated. And they ain't muslim.

I think the sovereignty and immigration dovetail. I think you can be neutral on immigration or even pro-immigration and still very much want your own government to dictate immigration policy.

Brussels brilliantly blurs economic and political power to continuously ratchet away sovereignty. I think what you will see -- if the UK honors the popular will -- is that the UK will continue to trade with the EU and continue to have a strong economic relationship with the EU much like non-EU members (and, I guess, ipso facto RACISTS!!!!) Switzerland and Norway enjoy. IMO, the EU needs the UK as much or more than vice versa.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I don't think that it's necessarily wrong to say that immigration wasn't a huge driver. IMHO immigration is what put the vote over the top. Probably by a significant factor. But the reason why the two are connected is because there is no credible argument to be made that the EU has any intention of fixing the problem, because it is a hippopotomus with no accountability. Otherwise, the reaction to the immigration problem would be to lobby the EU to fix the problem or lobby the UK government to lobby the EU to fix the problem.

If immigration was an outlier -- a one-off that wasn't a symptom of a bigger problem, then there may have been a few people here and there who would accept it as the downside of an otherwise good deal. But that's not what happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
            If you broke this vote down by income and education, I have a suspicion you'd see a strong correlation with upper incomes/education and this view..
            I don't know. Unfortunately, I am seeing what looks like a strong correlation between upper incomes/education and the view that the "Leave" voters were a bunch of dumb rubes. There's very much an "Out of Touch Elite vs. Average Joe" dynamic at work here. IMHO in some ways being more educated means that you may understand less about the world, either because you were indoctrinated with a bunch of Politically Correct bullshit in college, or because you live in a gated community and you aren't exposed to anyone's real problems.

Comment

• I don't give two shits about "Brexit"...I'm waiting for "Talentexit"...
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I agree with Hanni, it was probably the recent huge influx of immigrants that was the tap that put it over. If you travel to Britain's large metro areas, (London, Coventry, Manchester, Leeds) you'll find that they are very cosmopolitan cities, much like Toronto or Vancouver. But in the last year refugees and immigrants from lower Asia have flooded in and that has affected the opinions of those UK born.

Education level and income? That's another way of saying 'old'. The "stay" millenials interviewed in 'man on the street' format have very much pointed at 'old people'. So yeah, there's a blurred picture education, wealth and age. But its probably too soon to have that kind of demographic breakdown.
                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• good post on the NR articles Talent. Thanks

Comment

• Terrorist attack at Instanbul airport.

A suicide bomb and gun attack at Istanbul airport kills 41 people, at least 13 of them foreign nationals, and injures more than 230.

Comment

• On Monday the SC ruled 6-2 that those who have been convicted of domestic abuse can lose their right to gun ownership. The two extreme justices, Thomas and Sotomayor dissented.

I don't have an issue with that as I have little respect for those who beat their spouses. I've been with my wife for 32 years, married 26. We've had our ups and downs but I have never raised a hand to her. If I ever do, I hope she shoots me in my sleep.

Thoughts?
                      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• I would be in favor of those convicted of domestic violence losing their gun rights as long as it goes for both men and women convicted of such crimes. Let's not just pick on the men only. I've been married to my wife for 42 years, and I've never even felt like raising a hand to her. And I never will.
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I have little problem with the ruling as far as I know (as I have not read it). I have a real problem with any normative judgments being used to support the restriction (or lack of restriction) of a person's rights. Ie wife beaters are bad and can have gun rights restricted or nazis are bad so they can have speech restricted.
                          To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Part of the ruling rationale was that statistically, wife beaters (like people who torture animals) show more than 2 standard deviations likelihood to commit gun violence or murder than those who do not participate in such activities.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
                              On Monday the SC ruled 6-2 that those who have been convicted of domestic abuse can lose their right to gun ownership. The two extreme justices, Thomas and Sotomayor dissented.

I don't have an issue with that as I have little respect for those who beat their spouses. I've been with my wife for 32 years, married 26. We've had our ups and downs but I have never raised a hand to her. If I ever do, I hope she shoots me in my sleep.

Thoughts?
                              I hope she shoots you regardless.
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Trade with the EU has been declining since the beginning of the year but 45-55% of all Britain's trade is with other EU countries...both imports and exports

Comment

Working...
                                X