No announcement yet.

MSU @ M, Game Day, In Game, Post Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was in the sweet spot of time where you do rush the house on a punt, this isn't a common play:

1. With less time on the clock, the offense is just going to run around to take the time off the clock.

2. With more time on the clock, say 20 seconds, MSU will probably field a punt. Thinking they can get off two plays for a hail mary.

It's my belief they got outcoached on that play. That punt formation was not the right punt formation for a team clearly set on blocking the punt. They had two gunners out and only one was covered. Three men on the line of scrimmage release as well. They are in wide splits with skill position people on the line. This is the Brian Cook dream punt formation. Harbaugh also mentioned that he didn't tell the punter to fall on the ball if it is bobbled.

I don't know if they have another punt formation, but to me this is akin to having your standard kickoff return team in an obvious onside kick situation. The MSU coaches have that punt block as a play, it is a specialty package. Miracle, good luck, all that is true, but it was aided by a bad coaching decision.

Comment

• That sounds reasonable. I think the mistake would be to extrapolate that whole thing to a woe-is-us outcoaching complaint. No coach is going to make the perfect call in every situation. i.e., Froot, what did you think of MSU's failed fake? I thought that was a gift to Michigan, especially at that spot on the field.

Comment

• I didn't mind that fake punt, He gets it if he justs runs right away, he gets the extra yard. The play was designed to be a pass to Madaris, that was open as well. So State has done a ton of trick plays that have help them win ball games, when a couple fail you can't really complain too much. They are not all going to work. One thing that gnaws at me is if they were using O'Connor as a long con for the fake. Continually sending him out there to punt for the express purpose of being able to use him once for a fake punt. You are giving away yards every punt for that.

Comment

• Everybody knew it was coming, and indeed it did almost work. I just felt like at that point you didn't need it, and you gave Michigan an easy shot at a TD.

Comment

• I was just thinking about the 2003 game today. Anyone remember that? It was John L. Smith's first game and John Navarre's senior year. We kicked the shit out of MSU at the LOS. It was the Chris Perry 51 carry game that we only lost by 7 points because of hidden yardage. If you include hidden yardage, MSU actually outgained us that day!

So I guess that means that MSU was the better team that year and we were lucky to win. <shrug>

Comment

• I can never forget that game, everybody knew Chris Perry was going to run the ball and they couldn't stop him. That was the beginnings of a program that was very soft on the lines. The abandonment of Pound Green Pound for a few years.

Comment

• But it was a good idea apparently since you had more return yardage which means that you were obviously the better team!

Comment

• 10 years later, I can laugh at it now, but it cracks me up how many of those games were close when the team really stunk for the Williams and Smith eras. A few of the games they should have won, but by no means were they even in the same zip code as Michigan.

Comment

• Is it any wonder the punter was in a hurry?

I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• I still can't find our MSU thread?????
                      Forever One!

Comment

• Keep looking.

Comment

Working...
                        X