Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Froot, I think and I agree, is saying the the TERM "elite" is overused and annoying. He's not saying being a "top notch" program isn't important.

Comment

• I can't wait for Sat so we can move onto the next elite topic
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• "This week's episode of Football Pedantry has been brought to you by..."

Comment

• Heh.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Hey Talent, does your statement that OSU has the highest winning percentage since 1900 take into consideration the 12 wins they vacated in 2011?

Comment

• and Froot: you see everything with green and white eye shades. I have a couple of names for you: Duffy Daugherty and Darrell Royal. I understand that anyone before Fred Akers is irrelevant, but Darrell Royal was the best coach in Texas history, And Duffy was probably the best in MSU history. for future reference

Darrell Royal: 167-47-5 (1957-76)

Duffy Daugherty 109-69-5 (1954-72)

From Wikipedia:

"However, After compiling a disappointing 3–6 record in Daugherty's first season in 1954, the Spartans improved and finished second in the Big Ten behind Ohio State in 1955 with an 8–1 record in the regular season. Michigan State received the conference's invitation to the 1956 Rose Bowl instead of the Buckeyes due to the conference's prohibition against consecutive trips to the Rose Bowl. In Pasadena, the Spartans defeated UCLA, 17–14, for their second bowl win in school history. From 1956 to 1964, Daugherty's Michigan State teams were usually good, three times placing second in Big Ten, but never captured the conference crown. The Spartans did, however, beat Notre Dame eight straight times between 1955 and 1963, a feat matched only by Michigan and USC. On November 5, 1964, the NCAA found Daugherty's program at Michigan State guilty of NCAA infractions prior to and during the 1957, 1958, and 1959 seasons. Daugherty's football program was put on probation for three years following the 1964 decision."

Cheating tends to work against becoming an "elite" program. Three years was the maximum at the time. Had the "death penalty" existed, you might be rooting for Michigan now.
              Last edited by Da Geezer; September 25, 2015, 07:32 PM.

Comment

• Geezer:

Yes, OSU's vacated wins are not counted. I can actually go back as far as 1898. Notre Dame has it from 1897. It really hurts Alabama--heh--who has vacated roughly 29 wins or something.

From my perspective, I care about OSU from 1912 forward. That's when they joined the Western Conference. From 1912 to current OSU dominates winning percentage (0.739 to 0.729 for ND). I guess I could also go from 1917 (when M rejoined the Western), and OSU is 0.738 to 0.731 over Bama. Notre Dame is 3rd at 0.722. Michigan is 6th at 0.711.

So, I can say that during the time when OSU and M were BOTH in the Western/B10, Ohio State has a winning percentage of 0.738 and M has one of 0.711. OSU also has 10 more wins. Unfortunately, M had a 11-year jump on OSU as a program.

Anyway, it's a fun tool. I love looking at different eras and such, OSU-centric or otherwise.
                Last edited by iam416; September 25, 2015, 08:30 PM.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• clearly elite

Comment

• If I'm Rashan Gary, I'm thinking I want, no I need, to be coached by this NFL caliber coaching staff.

The difference between team 136 in game 4 and a decade, probably more, of disinterested, half ass football and wasted talent, most notably on defense but the same holds true for the offense during most of that period, is like night and day.

The defense against BYU was stunningly good. Man coverage was near elite quality against big strong and athletic receivers. To think our osu friends here scoffed at Zordich as being a washed up coach that couldn't find a job. That it was so good it allowed Durkin to bring a mindboglingly effective package of blitzes that had Mangum totally confused.

So, yeah, Gary, pay attention.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• If Rashan Gary's goal is to one day play in the NFL, Harbaugh and his staff can prepare him as well or better than any college coaching staff in the country.

I understand his mom is going to be very influential in his decision. I hope she understands that.
                      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Couldn't have picked a better game to show him.

Comment

• It had to be a great experience for Rashan Gary, from the game day atmosphere, to Derek Jeter, to the excellent coaching and the dominating game performance. I think we just gave it our best shot. He might still end up at Auburn, but the fact that they are struggling doesn't hurt. Two bad losses in the last 2 games and barely winning against a creampuff. Have to say it, right now Michigan looks like a much better team than Auburn. Hopefully that helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tslisher View Post
                            It had to be a great experience for Rashan Gary, from the game day atmosphere, to Derek Jeter, to the excellent coaching and the dominating game performance. I think we just gave it our best shot. He might still end up at Auburn, but the fact that they are struggling doesn't hurt. Two bad losses in the last 2 games and barely winning against a creampuff. Have to say it, right now Michigan looks like a much better team than Auburn. Hopefully that helps.
                            I think M's problem with Gary is going to be Auburn boosters and their $$$$. That's not a criticism of Auburn, it just is what it is in the SEC. It sucks and nobody watching CFB recruiting doesn't know about it.

Maybe Mom will have an influence here in that M is a great program for bringing students who also happen to be playing football along in their educations, putting a priority on that, not just lip service and a focus on kids actually being in class instead of finding their way to the golf course, tattoo parlor or whatever extracurriculars interest them.
                            Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; September 27, 2015, 10:58 AM.
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I hope "all" this Harbaugh to Indy crap doesn't effect recruiting.

Comment

• Give it a break! All this Harbaugh to Indy crap? Some stupid asshole makes an unsubstantiated comment that Harbaugh is leaving UM to coach Luck and some of you idiots start screaming the sky is falling.

Comment

Working...
                                X