No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my mistake -- I moved from middle of beliefs spectrum to middle of income spectrum without saying so. That's what I'd meant.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
      What is the middle? people talk about it, but I think it's a catchall phrase.
      If, when the final numbers are in, they show Obama voters transitioning to Trump, if that's possible, that's evidence of a middle larger than thought.

Comment

• There does seem to be certain areas in the swing states that have Obama voters who went for Trump.

Comment

• However small that political middle is, it's big enough to matter.

Comment

• [ame]https://twitter.com/BenSasse/status/804342780852105221[/ame]

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
              There does seem to be certain areas in the swing states that have Obama voters who went for Trump.
              The protectionist schtick might have drawn off some manufacturing types, but that'd be about it IMO. Otherwise the platforms don't really intersect.

Comment

• except for the anti-Clinton platform.. They are the family of NAFTA and manufacturing or not, many people believe jobs are leaving the country as a result.
                Last edited by entropy; December 1, 2016, 02:37 PM.
                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• I think the bottom line is that economies evolve, and whilst free trade may be a factor the larger one is automation. We need many things to be able to adjust, but cheap education/retaining/skills programs would really help. However education/training is one of those non-commercialized areas that have become more commercial.
                  Last edited by hack; December 1, 2016, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• don't disagree Hack.. But I was only stating what I believe people think.

Comment

• Yeah. I just saw the graph on twitter though and thought it relevant.

Comment

• I do think there is a growing demand for specialized training/education in the US. Skills beyond a HS diploma, but more specialized than a 4 yr college degree.

Comment

• Demand is huge! I'm a great example. I'm in a disrupted and shrinking field, but have plenty of exposure to things for which a year of retraining would be great. I shouldn't have to spend $70k to do it, but that's what it would take.

Comment

• I somewhat learned how to code in High School 25 years ago. And at least learned the basics of computer theory. You would think by now, there would be a much more advanced way to get kids that kind of training. My kids are in high school and their exposure to the basic stuff I was taught is pitiful. It's crazy how little it is focused on.

Comment

• I've often said in HS everyone should take a semester of "life basics". Such as.. how to balance your checking account, credit card debt, savings accounts and compounding interest, registering to vote, applying for jobs, etc..

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                                I've often said in HS everyone should take a semester of "life basics". Such as.. how to balance your checking account, credit card debt, savings accounts and compounding interest, registering to vote, applying for jobs, etc..

I suppose. I did all that with my son. I guess we have to help the kids without engaged parents.
                                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X