Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HRC lost. Froot will be crushed.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Won't be put to rest until it goes public but D's and R's on the Intel Committee are again saying off-the-record that they've seen nothing to suggest Susan Rice acted inappropriately. Nunes is the only one who's apparently 'troubled' by what was brought to him.

Congressional aides from both parties say none of the "unmasking" requests by Obama's national security adviser were inappropriate.

Comment

• How Hotels are attacking airbnb

Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• I have never used airbnb, but my sister uses it quite often. She spent a couple of weeks in Denmark and England last summer and then spring break in a house in Destin Fl a few weeks ago. She swears by it.

I have read that there are housing issues in Hawaii because people that live on the mainland buy houses and rent them out short term. It allows them to pay for their house and guarantees that they have a place to vacation. I think it is a pretty big issue, but it isn't limited to airbnb rentals.
          Last edited by CGVT; April 17, 2017, 05:34 PM.
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• We just got back from Dublin last week. My daughter was dancing in the World Championships, we rented a house in the Donnybrook section of Dublin using AirBNB. My daughter qualified in November so finding a hotel situation for 8 people was impossible for a week stay. It would have been quite pricey.

The house we stayed in was one side of a duplex, the owner had an attached flat. He came in handy because the venue was out in the City West area so he helped get my son, mom and father-in-law out there on the day of the competition.

Comment

• Thats cool froot, congrats. And to her as well I suppose, lol.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

• I hear that part of town's a bit of a Donnybrook.

Comment

• It's actually where they got the term, back in the day they had an annual Donnybrook Fair that would devolve into a drunken brawl. It got so bad that they had to eventually cancel the Donnybrook Fair. Now it is the upscale part of Dublin.

Comment

• Theresa May calls for a snap General Election in just six weeks. Damn. As if there's not enough going on this year

Comment

• This is fantastic.

The Huffington Post's South Africa branch published an OpEd piece arguing for a 2-30 year disenfranchisement of white males in no uncertain terms: https://web-beta.archive.org/web/201...se_a_22036640/

Well, that article sort of went viral and HuffPo received some pushback. The editor doubled down and defended the decision to publish: https://web-beta.archive.org/web/201...se_a_22039753/

It would appear that perhaps much of the outcry derives from a very poor reading of the article -- or perhaps none at all. Dismantling the patriarchal systems that have brought us to where we are today, a world where power is wielded to dangerous and destructive ends by men, and in particular white men, necessarily means a loss of power to those who hold it. A loss of oppressive power. Those who have held undue power granted to them by patriarchy must lose it for us to be truly equal. This seems blindingly obvious to us.

This doesn't necessarily mean we agree or endorse everything in Garland's blog. The point of our Voices section is to invite a wide array of voices and views.

We hope, as reads continue to rack up on this blog, that those who are tempted to fire off an angry email to us would first engage with the underlying analysis in Garland's blog.
                      That's all hilariously progressive and all. Some great stuff. I'd recommend reading the initial article that caused the furor for sheer comedic effect -- but, it turns out that it was a hoax. Some internet troll wrote, well, a caricature piece and HuffPo's confirmation bias bought it lock, stock and barrel.

Anyway, the HuffPo gonna HuffPo. In more mainstream media, the NYT has seen wisdom in providing editorial space to an imprisoned Palestinian "activist" in announcing his hunger strike with basically a column railing against Israel. The editorial, of course, glosses over the reasons for the author's incarceration. Apparently, even NYT readers found that fishy and they eventually had to add an editor's note explaining that he was convicted of multiple counts of murder a membership in a terrorist organization w/o offering a defense. But, you know, he deserves his space in the NYT. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/16/o...tice.html?_r=0

DSL:

HI!
                      Last edited by iam416; April 18, 2017, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• As for Great Britain, it seems like they operate on some silly ass rules! However, it also seems like May's conservatives are ascendant and she wants even more control as she moves forward. However, it also seems like it's unnecessary because Corbyn has been brought to heel on some of the more important issues.

Anywho, crazy ass shit!

Comment

• I guess Chinese currency manipulation- another of Trumps famous Day One issues- has been backseated indefinitely due to North Korea, who is apparently a yuge problem all of a sudden. And Xi's admiration for chocolate cake probably.

You take a couple days away...and nothing changes, lol.

Comment

• Oh boy. Reneging on a campaign promise to chart a better, more rational course? We're in trouble.

One more link -- this one from the Harvard Business Review which finds that cognitive diversity is critical to team problem solving and that, shockingly, gender, race, religion, age whatever, "gives no clue as to how that person might process information, engage with, or respond to change." https://hbr.org/2017/03/teams-solve-...tively-diverse

Comment

• As Trump adopts more and more of Hillary Clinton's policies, will his base leave him?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                                As Trump adopts more and more of Hillary Clinton's policies, will his base leave him?
                                Somebody gets it.

But, no. Its about personal belief now, not policy. And a new piece of meat.
                                Last edited by Wild Hoss; April 18, 2017, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X